PDA

View Full Version : New phishing e-mail

Skweeky
10-17-2009, 10:24 AM
Got this in my inbox today:

Dear Applicant:

we have reviwed your tax return and our calculations of your last years accounts a tax refund of 178.25 is due
Please submit the tax refund request and allow us 3-6 days in order to
process it.

A refund can be delayed for a variety of reasons.
For example submitting invalid records or applying after the deadline.

Please submit the form attached to your email in order to complete your tax refund

Best Regards,
HM Revenue & Customs

--------------------------------------------------------------
© Copyright 2009, HM Revenue & Customs UK All rights reserved.
TAX REFUND ID: A29R119

--Forwarded Message Attachment--

Skip to main content

What's New

Frequently
Asked Questions

Complaints Procedure

Contact Us

Sitemap

Search

Online Services

HMRC home

Contact us

Help

Step 1 - Enter Details

Billing Information

Address Information - Please enter your name and address as you have it listed for your credit card.

Email:

CardHolder Name:

Date of Birth: (mm/dd/yyyy)

Mother Maiden Name:

Address:

Town/City:

Province/Region:

Postal Code:

Phone Number:

Credit Card Information - Please enter your Credit or Debit Card where refunds will be made.

Bank Name:

Debit / Credit Card Number:

Expiration Date:

Card Verification Number:
[ view sample ]

Biggles
10-17-2009, 10:31 AM
Who would fall for that? Really, if someone had the basic skills to fill out a tax return they would have 4 million IQ points too many to consider this anything other than utter gobshite.

I get almost daily emails in my spam box from Banks some of which I have never heard of asking me to update my details. I have never told my Banks and Credit Card peeps my email address. I prefer to go round the corner to the local branch.

Skweeky
10-17-2009, 10:35 AM
Who would be stupid enough to actual include their card details in an e-mail anyways?

Saying that, my mum ( she's 67), just recently discovered the wonders of the online world. I can see her falling for this kind of thing. It looks almost plausible because of the small amount it involves.

Skweeky
10-17-2009, 10:35 AM
Dp

Skweeky
10-17-2009, 10:39 AM
Dp

Snee
10-17-2009, 12:20 PM
Who would fall for that? Really, if someone had the basic skills to fill out a tax return they would have 4 million IQ points too many to consider this anything other than utter gobshite.

That'd put the people who fall for it roughly 3,999,930 points in the negative, by my estimate.

pro267
10-17-2009, 01:23 PM
we have reviwed your tax return and our calculations of your last years accounts a tax refund of 178.25 is dueBad grammar and punctuation are the first signs of a scam.
I blame this on the Nigerian education system.

Skweeky
10-17-2009, 01:43 PM
Yeah but mate, it supposedly came from the tax office. They're not known for their outstanding intelligence. :lol:

darkstate01
10-17-2009, 03:37 PM
If you want to have a safe journey on the net and if you are half asleep 1 day and decide that an email is the real thing, then also decide mmm i think i will reply, There is a free dns site called open dns,What this site will do for you people who are noobs or even half asleep, They will speed up all your net searches and even STOP you from going to the hack sites that phish for your details, I also have siblings and parents who aren't wise to the world of the sharks that live on the net and opendns has helped them many times from the usual emails that demand stuff off you in the name of you bank and other world wrecking demmands. Goto www.opendns.com for how to set it up and all the info about setting it up,takes no longer than 2 mins if you know your way around a PC and the tcp/ip settings. I really hope this helps people.

Alien5
10-17-2009, 03:38 PM
yes.

JPaul
10-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Quality result Skweeky.

What are you doing with the money mate.

Alien5
10-18-2009, 09:44 PM
cant see the last post.

moneyshot3301
10-28-2009, 07:23 AM
Old people really don't know, they think somebody is still in charge and paying attention. They don't know the inmates control this asylum