PDA

View Full Version : What's Newzbin like? Sorta interested in trying it…

Joben_Slickah
10-23-2009, 04:59 PM
Hey guys. Just joined up a few minutes ago. :D Nice site. I've been using Usenet for awhile now with FST as my main indexer but I also use NZBmatrix.

I've heard a lot of good about this newzbin site, but apparently you need an invite (why on earth?). You guys seem nice, and if you have an invite lying around, I was wondering if you could spare me one.

What's it like anyway?

Either PM me (can you yet?) or drop me an email (clseligATgmail.com). Much appreciated guys.

(Oh, and what's the best Newsreader? I'm using SABnzbd+)

cola
10-23-2009, 08:04 PM
If you're using SABnzbd+, stick with it if you're going to go to NewzBin. The integration is really really helpful.

Rart
10-23-2009, 08:54 PM
Newzbin is terrible and I've never touched it after getting an invite. Retention is far worse (240 days), has a pending case with the MPAA, not to mention a subscription fee that you need. Don't buy into the hype, you're better off with NZBmatrix.

SonsOfLiberty
10-23-2009, 09:24 PM
Hey guys. Just joined up a few minutes ago. :D Nice site. I've been using Usenet for awhile now with FST as my main indexer but I also use NZBmatrix.

I've heard a lot of good about this newzbin site, but apparently you need an invite (why on earth?). You guys seem nice, and if you have an invite lying around, I was wondering if you could spare me one.

What's it like anyway?

Either PM me (can you yet?) or drop me an email (clseligATgmail.com). Much appreciated guys.

If you get a invite, you also have to pay to use the site.

dutchmaster420
10-25-2009, 09:02 AM
Unless you want to needlessly waste money stick with free index/search sites

c0ld
10-25-2009, 02:50 PM
Don't buy into the hype, you're better off with NZBmatrix.
Even with their longer retention, nzbmatrix still can't match newzbins number of reports. Add to that the fact that newzbins system has a powerful searchengine in raw, condensed, and report modes, bookmarks, grouplists.. it's really no contest; Nzbmatrix is just primitive in comparison.

utlucian
10-25-2009, 03:35 PM
I don't like newzbin because they don't give you enough info about the NZB's. It's hard to tell if they are NTSC or PAL, Scene or something useless, etc. I use Newzbin once in a great while to look for something hard to find, and usually don't find it. It truely is a waste of money.

c0ld
10-25-2009, 03:51 PM
It's hard to tell if they are NTSC or PALWell, they have a thorough system of categories. I just did a quick search and found 15k with region info and 16k with 'unknown' which includes region free. That compares to 14k DVDs in total on nzbmatrix.

ericab
10-25-2009, 06:05 PM
im with c0ld on this;

nzbmatrix is no match to newzbin.

Rart
10-25-2009, 06:28 PM
I was just under the impression that he already had access to NZBMatrix. I find everything I need just fine with SS (free with cracked NL), FST, Merlin's Portal and NZBrus. Don't find the need to pay for poor retention and MPAA threats =/

SonsOfLiberty
10-25-2009, 07:15 PM
Yeah Rart that's all ya really need, I on the other hand don't even need websites to find content I want.

Search Engines, and free sites, index just as much as pay ones.

zot
10-25-2009, 08:25 PM
According to Alexa, it seems Newzbin's popularity took a major dive in 2008 (after they started taking down movies) but is slowly climbing back.

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/newzbin.com

c0ld
10-25-2009, 08:32 PM
the big problem with free providers is that you rely almost entirely on the header, and more and more that is being reduced to short, cryptic file-names. That's fine if you know the scene release details, but for anything else it becomes tricky. It's even worse when looking for stuff that hasn't been posted by reputable posters, because a lot of stuff now is password protected with a link to some spam site.

That aside, for most of the stuff I download, I don't actually need to search for it. rss feeds deal with TV and scene movies.

SonsOfLiberty
10-26-2009, 06:26 PM
the big problem with free providers is that you rely almost entirely on the header, and more and more that is being reduced to short, cryptic file-names. That's fine if you know the scene release details, but for anything else it becomes tricky. It's even worse when looking for stuff that hasn't been posted by reputable posters, because a lot of stuff now is password protected with a link to some spam site.

That aside, for most of the stuff I download, I don't actually need to search for it. rss feeds deal with TV and scene movies.

That's why unknown posts, I always download the first part and open it, if it opens to password, or not the right "split files inside" then it's a easy pass.

captive
10-29-2009, 10:24 AM
i stick with the free ones, they are better if your willing to learn a bit about ng first, and get the most out of them. pay ones just aint worth it.

SonsOfLiberty
11-03-2009, 05:13 AM
Exactly :) Free is always better, well not always but in this case it is.

c0ld
11-03-2009, 05:45 PM
how is free 'better' in this case?

SonsOfLiberty
11-03-2009, 08:25 PM
Because this site is free, and search engines are free, and Google is free.

c0ld
11-04-2009, 11:44 PM
Exactly :) Free is always better, well not always but in this case it is.
Because this site is free, and search engines are free, and Google is free.Is it, or isn't it; 'because it's free'. Or is there some other factor, as you previously suggested?

SonsOfLiberty
11-05-2009, 12:11 AM
Sorry you took that out of context, I was merely saying not everything that is free is "NOT" always better.

Windy72
11-05-2009, 12:45 AM

What's it like anyway?

Amazing post for a noob. One post and everyone is giving their two pennies about Newzbin. Here is mine :fst:

c0ld
11-05-2009, 08:41 AM
Sorry you took that out of context, I was merely saying not everything that is free is "NOT" always better.

No, I think I took it right. What I am trying to do is lead you to the realization that it is functionality that determines whether a site is better that the competition. A free site that has crap functionality would fit within your 'NOT always' camp, whilst anything with decent functionality that is also free you'd consider to be 'always better'.

The fact remains though, that even the very best free site does not even come close to the functionality of a 'pay'* site like newszbin. So imo your reasoning was a bit off.

*I say 'pay' site, because if you actually contribute, it's free.

SonsOfLiberty
11-05-2009, 07:18 PM
Say what you want, I will never give my paypal/credit card info over to a company that has pending cases against them by the MPAA.

And my context was not even dealing with sits in general, example software, there are firewall's/anti virus's/spyware scanner out there that are free that are better than pay for ones, and I don't contribute to them, but there still free and better.

topicaltapioca
11-07-2009, 08:27 PM
im with c0ld on this;

nzbmatrix is no match to newzbin.

I'm with ericab, who's with c0ld on this also.

It's one of those things you can say, "Newzbin, nuff' said."

SonsOfLiberty
11-08-2009, 03:48 AM
I just like how people are fine with giving over the "personal information" to a site that will more than likely loose it's case and will be forced to hand over it's client information, nuff said......

topicaltapioca
11-08-2009, 04:19 AM
Any company legally forced to give information will give the information.

The information about what you downloaded isn't kept and where I'm from, as of right now, having an NZB isn't a problem anyway.

Newzbin is being forward and upfront about their legal issues.

Rart
11-08-2009, 04:46 AM
I don't even care about this "forking over information" crap.

I have tried multiple times to find content I have found on other public (and user indexed) sites that I can't find on newzbin. And when I search for the latest TV episode, I see multiple dupes (and having more reports means a hell of a lot when I see 5 copies of the same supernatural episode). Oh and the 220 day retention doesn't cut off your ability to find content at all. Nope.

Oh wait, and you're paying a monthly fee for it?

Good job falling for the most overrated piece of crap in existence.

Mpeace
11-08-2009, 05:00 AM
I like whatever works the best for my windows 7..It seems to change monthly. and I prefer free..I am already paying for servers so less expense is more

SonsOfLiberty
11-08-2009, 06:01 AM
Exactly most people are pirates and pirates don't want to pay for anymroe than they have to, shit I know plenty of people that use my IPv6 "free" method and use free sites, because they don't want to pay....I myself am in it for TV, I can't have satellite right now and I love TV, it's the only reason I even use Usenet, and you say there's Hulu and the networks sites to watch that crap on? Well shit I hate streaming.

c0ld
11-10-2009, 10:38 AM
when I search for the latest TV episode, I see multiple dupes (and having more reports means a hell of a lot when I see 5 copies of the same supernatural episode).
To me, that just sounds like you don't know usenet. Obviously there'll be different versions of the same file, because there are several large groups that release to usenet independently of each other. They aren't 'dupes', because it's technically impossible for the newzbin system to have two reports for the same file. If you only want a single copy of latest TV ep, I'd suggest you save a search that filters by newsgroup(a.b.teevee) and poster(*teevee*). It's pretty simple really.

SonsOfLiberty
11-10-2009, 08:37 PM
If you seat to just poster *teevee* your going to miss alot, humans make fills to, and even some of those high priority shows that the bot will miss or can't find, then we will fill that, for example, It's Always Sunny In Philidelpha HR x264 and the Family Guy special 720p, actual people had to fill those.

c0ld
11-10-2009, 08:58 PM
If you seat to just poster *teevee* your going to miss alot, humans make fills to, and even some of those high priority shows that the bot will miss or can't find, then we will fill that, for example, It's Always Sunny In Philidelpha HR x264 and the Family Guy special 720p, actual people had to fill those.

Don't really see your point. The only versions of always sunny hr x264 being uploaded on usenet atm are from a.b.teevee. And the only 720p version of the family guy special was upped by a.b.teevee too.

Rart
11-10-2009, 10:08 PM
when I search for the latest TV episode, I see multiple dupes (and having more reports means a hell of a lot when I see 5 copies of the same supernatural episode).
To me, that just sounds like you don't know usenet. Obviously there'll be different versions of the same file, because there are several large groups that release to usenet independently of each other. They aren't 'dupes', because it's technically impossible for the newzbin system to have two reports for the same file. If you only want a single copy of latest TV ep, I'd suggest you save a search that filters by newsgroup(a.b.teevee) and poster(*teevee*). It's pretty simple really.

Or perhaps you just don't understand user indexed sites. User indexed sites are meant for convenience, where I can easily find a user verified copy of a file, without having to wade through spams and dupes that come with auto indexing sites. So are you telling me its worth it to pay for a user indexing site that doesn't do a better job than a free auto indexing site? And its not simply different releases that have more variety, or standard vs 720p. Its the EXACT same file, of the EXACT same scene release, multiple times over. Why should I pay for dupes?

This isn't to mention the many other shortcomings as well such as a retention thats half as long as other sites.

SonsOfLiberty
11-10-2009, 10:33 PM

Don't really see your point. The only versions of always sunny hr x264 being uploaded on usenet atm are from a.b.teevee. And the only 720p version of the family guy special was upped by a.b.teevee too.

Yes I know, but it was not the "bot"....

c0ld
11-10-2009, 10:53 PM
User indexed sites are meant for convenience, where I can easily find a user verified copy of a fileThat's true, but I don't think that means you should be given a pre-selected list of content. I think we can agree to disagree on that. I much prefer to have as close as possible to 'everything' reported and categorized, and have saved searches that give me a decent filtered view. I have even come around to their insistence on reporting passworded files. I'd rather they be reported and marked as passworded than have them catch me out if I am forced to download it from condensed view as a last resort.

So are you telling me its worth it to pay for a user indexing site that doesn't do a better job than a free auto indexing site?I don't think you've shown that Newzbin isn't better than auto indexers. Most free auto indexers aren't even as good as Newzbins 'condensed' mode, let alone it's fully categorised and standardised reports mode.

This isn't to mention the many other shortcomings as well such as a retention thats half as long as other sites.
Their retention problems are mainly due to the sheer amount of data they store. Nzbmatrix and others either discard the vast majority of what gets posted or really just keep NZBs. It's trivially simple to get high retention that way. Likewise, search sites do not have the overhead of having reports and they too do not keep as much backend data. Regardless, you're right, it does need an upgrade.

Rart
11-10-2009, 11:01 PM
I feel like if you want to have "everything", you use auto indexers. I understand the need to have "everything" if you want a standard def, 720p, 1080p version of a file. But when I get 4 different reports of the exact same release, whats the point?

As for whether newzbin is better than auto indexers: What does newzbin do better? NZBRus or NZB Matrix or Merlins portal don't have dupes. Auto indexers index "everything". What does newzbin do?

And yes, newzbin more "store" more NZBs. But those are dupe NZBs. How is that not more trivial than removing the dupes to allow for more retention?

c0ld
11-10-2009, 11:04 PM

Yes I know, but it was not the "bot"....Everything that gets posted by #a.b.teevee gets posted by a bot, the fillers (on the irc channel) upload to that. The poster name is always the same (well it gets changed every month or so), which atm is [email protected] (teevee). Some of the fillers might fill with bots too, I don't know, but afaik it's generally the same bot that ups it to astraweb.

As for whether newzbin is better than auto indexers: What does newzbin do better?
Just taking 'condensed mode' on Newzbin and comparing it to somewhere like binsearch and nzbindex; you get
-saved searches
-a much more powerful search engine
-most viruses are junked
-the main newsgroups are categorised
-grouplists(custom groups of newsgroups)
-nfo hover links
-clickable nzb links to the complete filelist
Although, the actually condensing software could do with an update as it can be inconsistent at grouping. On top of that though, you have raw files mode for stuff like mp3, and it has all the same features of condensed mode.

Auto indexers index "everything".The thing is, they don't. Neither Binsearch or nzbindex have got teevee, and you can do any search in newzbin and turn up 100 files and only 25-75 in the same time frame on the others. They are very selective.

eta; weird, non of the major autoindexers have teevee, why is that?

SonsOfLiberty
11-11-2009, 12:42 AM
Umm...NZBIndex does to index teevee...also they have a spam filter, you'll get less spam from them than you would on binsearch/newzleech.

http://www.nzbindex.com/search/?q=%23a.b.teevee&age=&max=25&sort=agedesc&minsize=&maxsize=&poster=&nfo=&hidespam=0&hidespam=1&more=0

http://www.newzleech.com/?group=&minage=&age=&min=min&max=max&q=%23a.b.teevee&m=search&adv=

http://www.binsearch.info/?q=%23a.b.teevee&max=25&adv_age=365&server=

NZBIndex posts show up less than 20 minutes after post, there the best search engine I think and are constantly good, some days slow, but it's what I need, I just browse pre's and idle in teevee, so for me to pay extra for something I can do for free by taking a few extra steps....I can avoid that fee.

And sure most users do not want to do that and have something easy, and I, yes I which is a opinion think for a novice, Newzbin is a train wreck for new users.

I have a account and ran a couple of tests, well not tests but just some looking to see how far behind there indexing times are, I don't know about TV didn't do that, but game releases and some otehr releases at the time I was looking didn't make it on site till an hour or so after it hit here and other sites. So, it's not my cup of tea, but hey, "To each his own :)"

Oh, the reason teevee took awhile to start get indexed is because it's less than 3 months old or so, and it used to be #a.b.mm, and they abandoned that group and started eheir own, and they only were on Astraweb for awhile, people had to request that group on their newsproviders and also to autoindexers.

So if you Newsprovider does not have alt.binaries.teevee request it!

c0ld
11-11-2009, 01:18 AM
Hmm, must have skimmed over it on the list. Got me thinking what the actual numbers were though;
Nzbindex: 695,
Binsearch: 420,
Newzbin: 65,892(including dead), 38,808 (excluding dead).
Granted, most are text based. If they drop the text based ones they'd probably double their retention, but afaik that would open them up to more hostile legal action.

Oh, the reason teevee took awhile to start get indexed is because it's less than 3 months old or so, and it used to be #a.b.mm, and they abandoned that group and started eheir own, and they only were on Astraweb for awhile, people had to request that group on their newsproviders and also to autoindexers.
IIRC it used to be a.b.tv + a.b.mm and they switched to a.b.teevee but still post to a.b.mm.

SonsOfLiberty
11-11-2009, 02:19 AM
Yes they cross post for now....they said when they started the channel they would cross post for awhile, so, I don't know if they changed their mind or not.

dette
11-11-2009, 09:10 PM
Im in the mind set that I am already paying for Usenet Server Access.. Why do I want to pay more if I dont have to?