PDA

View Full Version : Look at this beast!

Skiz
10-24-2009, 04:50 AM
http://austin.craigslist.org/sys/1431868298.html

:O

Just in case it gets deleted for some reason, here are the specs:

I built this computer to run the Mac OS X on. Following is the specs.

Supermicro X7DWA-N-O motherboard * 2 Intel X5350 Xeon CPU runing at 2.66GHz * 32GB of Crucial DDR2 FB-DIMMs * 1 Western Digital 500GB Black Label hard drive, 2 Western Digital 1TB Black Label hard drives * 2 Pioneer DVR-118LBK DVD-RW drives * nVidia 9400 GT 512MB video card * CoolMax 950W Modular power supply * Antec P193 case.

I have Mac OS X 10.5.6 running with no problems (can upgrade to 10.6.1), iLife ’09, Adobe Creative Suite 2, Adobe Lightroom 2, and Aperture.

Geekbench scores are 32-Bit 8839 & 64-Bit 9751

Price is $2500 FIRM, no tire kickers or low ballers. For more info please call 830-534-6990 & ask for Charles.

Cabalo
10-24-2009, 06:54 AM
it sure is great, though for an occasional gamer like you and me, the GFX is clearly subpar to the remaining components. It's like buying a ferrari, but only with 1 litre of gas.

Besides, yuck, it is running MacOs. :p

It's a great machine for heavy multitasking and the such, though. I wonder how long does it take to reencode movies there...

Skiz
10-24-2009, 07:25 AM
While I like OS X, I would immediately have to implement Windows and dual boot it.

What I don't understand is the older mobo (it has a serial port FFS, but I'm guessing it was used for it's compatibility w/ OS X) and the need for 2 optical drives, especially if they are both the exact same. :dabs:

I would have gotten a less RAM and sprung for the better GPU. Two of them.

While it all sounds dandy, the whole thing seems like a bit of a mismatch. :unsure:

Cabalo
10-24-2009, 07:42 AM
Probably this machine was used as a server of some kind. Though as you said, the optical drives have no place there. Probably the guy had them hanging around and decided to sell them in the bunch.
Now, the 32Gb of RAM... A place like what.cd with 100k members only needs 16Gb. Was the guy hosting CNN.com? :lol:

Snee
10-24-2009, 09:10 AM
http://austin.craigslist.org/sys/1431868298.html

:O

Just in case it gets deleted for some reason, here are the specs:

I built this computer to run the Mac OS X on. Following is the specs.

Supermicro X7DWA-N-O motherboard * 2 Intel X5350 Xeon CPU runing at 2.66GHz * 32GB of Crucial DDR2 FB-DIMMs * 1 Western Digital 500GB Black Label hard drive, 2 Western Digital 1TB Black Label hard drives * 2 Pioneer DVR-118LBK DVD-RW drives * nVidia 9400 GT 512MB video card * CoolMax 950W Modular power supply * Antec P193 case.

I have Mac OS X 10.5.6 running with no problems (can upgrade to 10.6.1), iLife ’09, Adobe Creative Suite 2, Adobe Lightroom 2, and Aperture.

Geekbench scores are 32-Bit 8839 & 64-Bit 9751

Price is $2500 FIRM, no tire kickers or low ballers. For more info please call 830-534-6990 & ask for Charles.
Hah. What a loon.

I don't really see why you'd want that, tbh. For that price you should be able to build something better with socket 1156 or maybe 1366.

You'd Neither you nor I would see very little gain, if any, from the second processor and something like 24 gigs of that ram, with normal use, I think.

I run an i7 now, paired with 12gigs of ram. From what I've seen, I'm lucky if anything I run daily ever uses over 4gigs of ram, and runs over 3 threads (that's like 1.5 cores out of 4). Even Vista (HP) seems to stop trying to eat anything beyond 4GB ram, and certain games (like DoW2), will still bitch about page files if you run one too small.

I think I see the reasoning behind most of his choices, though. Ie, Mac os kind of sucks for most gaming, so no point in using a good graphics card. May well have gone for the cheapest he could find. And with that much memory you might as well go for whatever's best when it comes to performance vs price, as he's not likely to want to upgrade before it's time to switch out the whole thing anyways.

A couple things confuse me though: Double DVD burners - yeah, I'm sure those'll run at once all the time :rolleyes: The psu - does he need that much juice cos he's using the two burners or wtf? Two xeons shouldn't need quite as much, and while he's using ddr, and lots of it, it can't be that bad, surely? And the 500GB disc - why one of those? Is that even single platter? And why not one or two ssds instead for the OS (I guess he built it before that was a good idea, and hasn't upgraded)? (And the mobo and cpus are a bit dated, of course.)

He's probably built it to use it for multiple streams of encoding, photo- or video editing or something that can actually use shitloads of memory and works well with mac os.

Or he cobbled together some junk and is selling it for a lot more than he paid.

Detale
10-24-2009, 05:25 PM
No programs I know of will use more than 4 gigs of ram at a time. Homestly Skiz IMHO I think you could build yourself an damn fine setup for under $1000. That is of course if you want a kick ass Vid card. otherwise dude, I feel like this is too much cashola for a computer.

Skiz
10-24-2009, 05:56 PM
I'm not looking to buy it. I bought a great PC for $475 just a couple months ago. I was just pointing this one out for conversation sake.

Snee
10-24-2009, 06:17 PM
Well. It's a puzzler, so good call on that.

The more I think about it, the more I think he built it when all that junk was cutting edge. Overpriced now, though. I'm still not sure exactly what he intended it for, but I'm beginning to think parts of it is just because it's a concept build. Those don't have to make sense. You know - "I just wanted to max out the ram, because I could". That kind of thing.