PDA

View Full Version : I Just Got A Warning Toady!

marquita188
10-08-2003, 07:03 PM
i don't know if this person is for real or just another Kazaa user playing a joke on?

have anybody else get this warning today or another time?

i should have wrote down the user's name but it has the word "warning" in it. the person also gave me a website address "www.musicunited.net"

i don't know what's going, i don't know if i should be scared! or just keep on going!

Gre1
10-08-2003, 07:05 PM
It's probably just someone playing a joke cause I doubt they are sending out messages so u can just block messages and u don't have to worry about that again.

dingdongding
10-08-2003, 07:09 PM
it's the riaa but it's a generic message they send to millions of peeps so no worries (and they started doing that a year ago)

Domain Name: MUSICUNITED.NET

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
Karaganis, Jerome (35560255P) [email protected]
Recording Industry Association Of America
1330 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Suite 300
Washington, DC 20036
US
202-775-0101 fax: 202-775-7253

Gre1
10-08-2003, 07:19 PM
Just turn off messages and you won't get anything. ;)

DasScoot
10-08-2003, 07:48 PM
I have messages turned on just so I can get one of these for myself, but I never do. :(

Sparkle1984
10-08-2003, 08:47 PM
Why is it that things like this only ever seem to happen to newcomers, and never anyone who has been on here for several months? Hmm, I wonder why ;)

Gre1
10-08-2003, 08:49 PM
I get u all the way sparkle ;) but it could be that when they get it the sign up and come here or is that what they want us to think.

dingdongding
10-08-2003, 10:06 PM
it's a conspiracy lol- just like isps sending letters to movie file sharers... (that i know is true)

most "advanced" p2p ppl either block ims or don't pay attention to them so that's why you'll hear about these infrequently from "noobs"- me i've never got an riaa pm but i remember hearing more about it from ppl a year ago when it started (at least that's when i read an article bout it starting)

internet.news
10-08-2003, 10:10 PM
hey, if the RIAA would find you they would sent you a warning directly
to your postal adress and it would look official and serious...

If they really want to sue you they would not just sent a warning...

thks.

nice dreams...

dingdongding
10-08-2003, 10:30 PM
the generic ims the riaa are sending have nothing to be with being sued or being officially warned for file sharing- they are "generic" or sent at random to try and intimidate file sharers into backing down from p2p

oh and i said they started this a year ago but it was actually april of 2003:

http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,58670,00.html

RIAA IMs: We're Watching You 

By Associated Press Page 1 of 1

12:55 PM Apr. 29, 2003 PT

LOS ANGELES -- The record industry opened a new front in its war against online piracy on Tuesday by surprising hundreds of thousands of Internet song swappers with an instant message warning that they could be "easily" identified and face "legal penalties."

About 200,000 users of the Grokster and Kazaa file-sharing services received the warning notice on Tuesday and at least 1 million will be getting the message within a week, according to music industry officials.

The copyright infringement warnings, which were sent by the Recording Industry Association of America, on behalf of the major record labels, said in part:

"It appears that you are offering copyrighted music to others from your computer.... When you break the law, you risk legal penalties. There is a simple way to avoid that risk: DON'T STEAL MUSIC, either by offering it to others to copy or downloading it on a 'file-sharing' system like this. When you offer music on these systems, you are not anonymous and you can easily be identified."

The music industry's campaign for the hearts and minds of Internet song swappers comes four days after a federal judge threw an unexpected roadblock to its efforts to shut down song-swapping services in court.

U.S. District Court Judge Stephen Wilson on Friday ruled that the Grokster and Morpheus services should not be shut down because they cannot control what is traded over their systems. Like a videocassette recorder, the software in question could be used for legitimate purposes as well as illicit ones, he said.

"We're expecting to send at least a million messages or more per week because these users are offering to distribute music on Kazaa or Grokster," said Cary Sherman, president of the RIAA.

Sherman described the move as an "educational effort" to inform users that offering copyrighted music on peer-to-peer networks is illegal and that they face consequences when they participate in this illegal activity.

zapjb
10-10-2003, 11:10 AM
Another shitstick I think. 1 post & gone. :angry:

hooked
10-10-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by zapjb@10 October 2003 - 11:10
Another shitstick I think. 1 post & gone. :angry:
bye