PDA

View Full Version : Rutgers Students

hitman51
10-26-2009, 10:46 PM
Hey guys I'm planning on going to Rutgers next september and I was wondering if you guys use torrents there or how do you guys get your downloads?

beansis
10-27-2009, 08:39 PM
anything p2p is a no-no

hitman51
10-27-2009, 08:45 PM
anything p2p is a no-no

so then what to do? can you webui on your home computer then FTP over or something?

TrollinThunder
10-27-2009, 08:59 PM
Most colleges don't block usenet...

Scytalle
10-27-2009, 11:45 PM
You could get a cheap shared seedbox and ftp everything to your hard drive. Unless they would block you downloading the .torrent files and then you would need a workaround. Like saving um as .zip or something.

TrollinThunder
10-28-2009, 02:21 AM
On our campus they never blocked torrent files downloaded with SSL but anything else would never download.

kooltilldend
10-28-2009, 02:55 AM
i d/l'ed torrents for over an year in my campus...but i def. wouldn't suggest anyone else to do the same

Scytalle
10-28-2009, 04:10 AM
i d/l'ed torrents for over an year in my campus...but i def. wouldn't suggest anyone else to do the same

I did it for a few months on my campus and nothing happened but I just got server in case.

kooltilldend
10-28-2009, 04:17 AM

I did it for a few months on my campus and nothing happened but I just got server in case.
yeah its a good idea too imo

I mean I was never caught yet my roomie got caught twice using the crappy limewire (apparently they even came to the room and checked his laptop and all...while mine was d/l'ing torrents at the same time lol)

Cabalo
10-28-2009, 05:00 AM
And what did they do to the people caught infringing the campus rules about downloads?

kooltilldend
10-28-2009, 05:07 AM
well most campuses in the states have a three-strike policy so nothing actually happened tbh

just that they'll cut your net off when they catch you...then you have to call them and they'll make you sign a particular form while, they'll tick a "strike" against your name...get that three times and they'll basically cut off your net permanently

i do hear some campuses can be harsh and report you to the mpaa or something though...def. didn't happen at mine though (and mine's supposedly very strict about these things)

that said, a lot of campuses recently signed some agreement where they'll report the abusers to the mpaa/riaa...that's what i read online anyways...whether its true or not, only time shall tell

beansis
10-28-2009, 05:45 AM
You could get a cheap shared seedbox and ftp everything to your hard drive. Unless they would block you downloading the .torrent files and then you would need a workaround. Like saving um as .zip or something.

I would do what he said, or use usenet, which is probably cheaper. If you have data on your phone see if you can tether and download the .torrent or .nzb files through that rather through the school connection. Also if I were you I wouldn't publically advertise that I download at a certain university.

Also, you could see if Rutgers has DC+, but even if it does its probably lacking in content

Scytalle
10-28-2009, 10:29 PM
From what I hear, from the IT department. People usually get there internet to there dorm limited or cut off. I looked into usenet and in the long term the server seemed like a better option. Good thing I didn't mention a university. To each his/her own though. Not worried though, what happens just happens. There is a reason I stopped torrenting on my campuses network. Besides I was only giving advice based on my own experience. Take it or leave it.

Sonnentier
10-28-2009, 11:58 PM
Why is it a good thing you didn't mention a university, I do not understand your case.

beansis
10-29-2009, 10:29 PM
Why is it a good thing you didn't mention a university, I do not understand your case.

I think he meant that he's glad that he did not identify where he torrented.

@Scytalle, what kind of server you have, and how much you dl/month at your university?

hitman51
10-30-2009, 01:02 AM
well ive heard that rutgers gives you a 5gb limit or something of that sort..anybody from rutgers know?

kooltilldend
11-03-2009, 07:07 PM
d/l limit? are you serious? how the heck are you supposed to d/l softwares (legally from the uni) then?