PDA

View Full Version : .mpg/.mpeg Files Whats The Difference

gbfan
10-08-2003, 09:02 PM
Well pretty self explanatory but I was wondering what the difference is ;)

Gre1
10-08-2003, 09:12 PM
MPEG (pronounced EHM-pehg), the Moving Picture Experts Group, develops standards for digital video and digital audio compression. It operates under the auspices of the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). The MPEG standards are an evolving series, each designed for a different purpose.
To use MPEG video files, you need a personal computer with sufficient processor speed, internal memory, and hard disk space to handle and play the typically large MPEG file (which has a file name suffix of .mpg). You also need an MPEG viewer or client software that plays MPEG files. (Note that .mp3 file suffixes indicate MP3 (MPEG-1 audio layer-3) files, not MPEG-3 standard files.) You can download shareware or commercial MPEG players from a number of sites on the Web.

.mpg is just the suffix

3RA1N1AC
10-08-2003, 09:13 PM
they're the same thing. MPEG is also the name of the organization that creates MPEG video formats, but the .mpg and .mpeg file extensions are the same thing.

an .mpg/.mpeg file is a container that combines an .m1v or .m2v video stream with an .mp2 audio stream.

Gre1
10-08-2003, 09:14 PM
Beat u to it :lol:

3rd gen noob
10-08-2003, 09:16 PM
.mpe will work the same as .mpeg or .mpg extensions too... :rolleyes:

gbfan
10-08-2003, 09:26 PM
Thx brainiac that's sorta the answer I was looking, but not quite right. Because I can play .mpg files fine but when I try to play .mpeg files it tells me that a plugin is needed and so I download it and install and then it gives me an error when I try to play it, it something like a bitcasting error or something like that. Windows media will play them after an error message asking if I want to continue anyway

3RA1N1AC
10-08-2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by gbfan@8 October 2003 - 13:26
Thx brainiac that's sorta the answer I was looking, but not quite right. Because I can play .mpg files fine but when I try to play .mpeg files it tells me that a plugin is needed and so I download it and install and then it gives me an error when I try to play it, it something like a bitcasting error or something like that. Windows media will play them after an error message asking if I want to continue anyway
never heard of such a problem. it doesn't sound like a standard mpeg file, then, but maybe a modified version of mpeg... or are you streaming these files from the internet?

if it's not that, there might be something wrong with your Mpeg-1 decoder.

it's all news to me, though.

gbfan
10-09-2003, 03:58 AM
Okay thx neway man I'll get it fingered out ;)

Gre1
10-09-2003, 04:06 AM
Just download the Kazaa-lite codec pack Klite codec pack (http://fe1.edskes.com/k/klcodec205f.exe) because u might need it then watch the file with BSPlayer and that should help.

uNz[i]
10-09-2003, 05:22 AM
This might be a bit too simple, but have you tried deleting the 'e' from the .mpeg file extension? Who knows? It just may just be stupid enough to work. :lol:

Gre1
10-09-2003, 06:28 AM
Yeah, that's real simple, simple enough to probably work but I don't know cause I think it reads it as the same thing.

uNz[i]
10-09-2003, 11:09 AM
Just going by what's been posted:
Originally posted by gbfan
...I can play .mpg files fine but when I try to play .mpeg files it tells me that a plugin is needed

It's worth a try.

Edit: Actually, come to think of it, I had sort of the same kind of problem back when I was using Win98.. Windows Media Player somehow lost the file association for .avi.

If I double clicked on an .avi file, WMP would ask for a plugin that never installed properly and I'd get nowhere. I eventually reinstalled the OS, and it was all good again.