PDA

View Full Version : What's been up with MegaUpload lately?

TheKarateKitt
10-28-2009, 02:46 AM
For more than the past week (maybe starting 2-3 weeks ago), I've noticed that download speeds on MU (Megaupload.com) have been toned down to about 1/3 of what they were, and that there's always a 45 second wait time for downloads. Back in September and even prior, most downloads for me started instantaneously (regardless of the 45 second time limit it says on the side; and albeit w/ a pop-up); and at off-peak hours (like, say, 1 or 2 am) I would get full speeds at almost 1.5 Meg's/sec). I would also be able do parallel downloads (one d/l on Firefox, another d/l on IE8). Now, I can only max out at about 600 KB/sec, wait the full 45 seconds, and can only d/l a certain amount in a short period of time.

Is MU tightening up on their policy? I've searched here and on google to no avail. What am I missing here? Any info would be appreciated.

Lionel Hutz
10-28-2009, 09:45 PM
They've been sporadic with their speeds for me. Sometimes I get stuck at 100kbps, other times I can get 2.3mb/s. I'm not sure why they've reintroduced the wait times (probably because they had a noticeable loss in ad revenue from people not stopping to look at the page for longer than a second because they go straight to the download button). The problem I've been having with them is that it will take around 20 seconds for a page to load for me, it's probably just me as this too appears to be sporadic.

And those adverts they have all over about getting ripped in a week are reeeeeeeally annoying, haha.

TheKarateKitt
10-29-2009, 09:19 PM
They've been sporadic with their speeds for me. Sometimes I get stuck at 100kbps, other times I can get 2.3mb/s. I'm not sure why they've reintroduced the wait times (probably because they had a noticeable loss in ad revenue from people not stopping to look at the page for longer than a second because they go straight to the download button).

OMG, thank god! So it's not just me! I was racking my brain trying to figure out what I might have done w/ my router or firewall since I've noticed the slow download speeds and wait times! But yes, as you noticed as well the wait times are reinforced and also the erratic download speeds. :(

I hope MU doesn't turn to the dark side like RS. I vaguely recall RS didn't suck when it was first introduced. Now as you know, for regular/free members, you have to wait sometimes over 2 min's or so just to start downloading a file, then you'll be luck to "max" out at their slow ass 200 KB/sec speeds. /rant

Anyways, you can block those "ripping" ads (lol) by simply getting Ad-block Plus and Ad-Block Plus: Element Hiding Helper add-ons for Firefox. Hope this helps. Cheers!

$SnoopDo2G$
11-01-2009, 02:23 PM
They prolly have too many users lately lol...
But i always use a site that uploads into my account so i always get a fast upload :D

kronas
11-15-2009, 10:18 PM
i think its traffic related, speeds are all over the place, one moment a file was 1.5mb/s speed then another one was 90kb/s just minutes later!

cherio
11-18-2009, 02:25 AM
not as fast for me either. Try jdownloader. it makes multiple conn

Sonnentier
11-20-2009, 12:31 PM
So it's not a regional problem, I also noticed this and the site is slow/sporadic as well. It took nearly a minute to display the mainpage when I tried right now.

Kaizen
11-30-2009, 01:43 AM
Yeah megaupload been acting up quite badly, more so this week. Cant even remote upload now. The other day I tried, it only started after 6 hours! Doesnt look good for MU :(

SocialTerrain
11-30-2009, 02:02 AM
If your uploading to share, you really should try socialterrain.com under special features you can upload then share the dl link. BLAZING fast...

cfi
11-30-2009, 11:27 AM
Yet when comparing free Megaupload to free Rapidshare you hug MU very tightly.

anon
11-30-2009, 04:24 PM
I can get up to 180kB/s on MU without a Premium account, while the last time I could even successfully start a Rapidshare download as a free user was a month ago. :dry:

By the way, if you put "mgr_dl.php" before the "?d=" in Megaupload URLs, you can bypass the waits and captchas. The amount of times per hour you can do this is limited, though.

$SnoopDo2G$
11-30-2009, 04:45 PM
If your uploading to share, you really should try socialterrain.com under special features you can upload then share the dl link. BLAZING fast...

lmao at tryin' to compare your site with MU :rolleyes:

MU & RS >>>>
They still on top of most filehosts ... at least for me lol...

glassjaw921
12-01-2009, 11:12 AM
been working absolutely fine for me i usually get speeds of anywhere form 1.5-2.5 MB/s
been using it for my buddy and my own file sharing site, check the sig. It's still in it's begginning stages but looking to creat a userbase so anyone whos interested conact me :D

sez
12-01-2009, 08:33 PM
Yeah MU has been acting up since friday.Most sites that do MU uploads weren't uploading coz of this.I figure they are doing some major changes.
As about speeds,the few times that I've remote uploaded from MU free to RS(as recently as two weeks ago),200MB files took barely 5 minutes to finish.So I figure there is no problem speedwise.