PDA

View Full Version : Cold Starting Problem...

clocker
10-29-2009, 03:12 PM
...doors are frozen shut.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/clocker/Coldstart1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/clocker/Coldstart2.jpg

This the second morning of Denver's biggest October snowfall in twelve years.
Yesterday I cleared the car and driveway three times, this is just the overnight accumulation.
For comparison, here is the back deck, untouched since the snow began...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/clocker/Coldstart3.jpg

I later stuck a yardstick into the tabletop...27".

Yesterday morning the bunnies were tanking up on water in preparation for the days to come...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/clocker/Coldstart4.jpg

This downspout is a particular favorite of theirs but I don't think they can even find it today.

Oh, BTW...the car actually did start right up, not that I have anywhere to go.

The_Martinator
10-29-2009, 03:18 PM
I thought Denver was located in a part of the US where it snows often and a lot (but then again I always sucked at geography). We've had it worse. Once I drove my car at the top speed of 35 km/h (it didn't go any faster as it lost traction when you added gas, lol) because of the snow on the road.

Don't know why it wouldn't start, though. It doesn't look that cold (though how could I tell from a pic, lol).

Ps: Happy winter time! I hope you're liking it. :P

clocker
10-29-2009, 03:33 PM
Denver gets a few big storms every year but they are typically gone in just a few days.
Little known fact...Denver gets more days of sunshine than Miami and it's rare to go more than a day or so without sun.

The problem with this storm is that it started as freezing sleet, so underneath the snow is a nice glaze of ice and slush.
Even the 4 x 4's are sliding around, it would be suicidal for me to attempt going anywhere- even if the ice didn't get me the car would high center on the drifts.

Winter ain't my favorite season but we're projected to be in the 60° range again by Monday, so I'll just grin and bear it.

IdolEyes787
10-29-2009, 03:39 PM
Little known fact...Denver gets more days of sunshine than Miami and it's rare to go more than a day or so without sun.

Suggest you go outside and shovel in your bathing suit then.

100%
10-29-2009, 04:41 PM
Fuck you winter.

pentomato
10-29-2009, 04:46 PM
Denver gets a few big storms every year but they are typically gone in just a few days.

The problem with this storm is that it started as freezing sleet, so underneath the snow is a nice glaze of ice and slush.
Even the 4 x 4's are sliding around, it would be suicidal for me to attempt going anywhere- even if the ice didn't get me the car would high center on the drifts.

Winter ain't my favorite season but we're projected to be in the 60° range again by Monday, so I'll just grin and bear it.

There is a say here in New England, if you want to know how the weather is, wait five minutes, we didn't have any snow yet, and that is a miracle. I hate the ice and sleet, I hope we won't have any this year.

Skweeky
10-29-2009, 05:48 PM
I want snow like that this winter. Can you send some over here?

LubTheStaringCat
10-29-2009, 05:48 PM
My fist thought was that a real rabbit:D

clocker
10-29-2009, 06:08 PM
I want snow like that this winter. Can you send some over here?
Gladly send you all we get.

My fist thought was that a real rabbit:D
What do you mean...it is a real wabbit.
They live under the big fir trees you see in the background, probably five or six of 'em that I see daily.

Skweeky
10-29-2009, 06:11 PM
Last year they had quite a lot of snow in Belgium and the country literally ground to a halt for about 2 days. :lol:

They very rarely get any heavy snow over there so they were not at all prepared for it and had no clue how to deal with it.

Skweeky
10-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Last year they had quite a lot of snow in Belgium and the country literally ground to a halt for about 2 days. :lol:

They very rarely get any heavy snow over there so they were not at all prepared for it and had no clue how to deal with it.

hotstuff
10-29-2009, 08:10 PM
lay a heated blanket over it till the ice lossens around the door

brotherdoobie
10-29-2009, 08:51 PM
Fuck you winter.

Well said.

Have things warmed up for you, Clocker?

-doobs

clocker
10-29-2009, 10:14 PM
Nope, still snowing.

Skweeky
10-29-2009, 10:17 PM
It's raining here. Surprise surprise.

tesco
10-29-2009, 10:46 PM
Snow? I haven't even started thinking about that yet.
It's like 14 during the day here in my part of canadia. :unsure:
Glad to see something to look forward to though. :frusty:

j2k4
10-29-2009, 11:11 PM

I'm gonna guess they had no clue how to deal with it, given they rarely get any heavy snow?

I'd like to try some of that Denver snow.

I'll try to dig up some pictures from a few years back...

brotherdoobie
10-30-2009, 01:29 AM

I'm gonna guess they had no clue how to deal with it, given they rarely get any heavy snow?

I'd like to try some of that Denver snow.

I'll try to dig up some pictures from a few years back...

It's cut too much for my taste, Kevin, but still...

-doobs

brotherdoobie
10-30-2009, 01:57 AM
A picture of an Ohio blizzard from me childhood.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v173/brotherdoobie/slideshow_451502_Blizzard_of_2008_L.jpg

-doobs

The_Martinator
10-30-2009, 09:51 AM

Ha ,didn't know about the Miami-Denver thing.

And yeah, if there's ice beneath then don't drive. Even chains won't help. Warming up quickly ain't good. The snow will look like shit and there'll be lots of water, lol.

moneyshot3301
10-30-2009, 09:54 AM
Can't believe you guys are getting that much snow this early, does it always start in October?

clocker
10-30-2009, 12:08 PM
In Denver the weather doesn't always do anything.

Last year we didn't have a storm like this all season, three years ago we had four within the same month.

I can see stars this morning, so the sun will be out soon and the melt-off will begin.
They finally plowed the neighborhood sometime last night and I'll be able to get out.

The_Martinator
10-30-2009, 12:21 PM
They finally plowed the neighborhood sometime last night and I'll be able to get out.

Well then, the melting process will be much easier to cope with. :P

PlayeR
10-31-2009, 09:30 AM
lucky, you have snow

lynx
10-31-2009, 05:11 PM
Thank god we won't be getting any of that for a while (hopefully).

I have to sit in the forest tomorrow, tracking rally cars. It's going to be bad enough in the (predicted) rain.

clocker
10-31-2009, 05:59 PM
Well, here we are 36 hours later...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/clocker/36hours.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/clocker/36hours2.jpg

And the wabbits found the fountain of youth again...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/clocker/Bunny2.jpg

It's 55° out right now.

Typical.

Skweeky
10-31-2009, 06:00 PM
Clocker, is that a midlife crisis on your driveway?

clocker
10-31-2009, 06:21 PM
No, it's a penis extension.
Take that, Mulder.

j2k4
10-31-2009, 06:41 PM
No, it's a penis extension.

A red penis extension, at that.

Still looking for my pictures...

j2k4
10-31-2009, 06:43 PM

I have to sit in the forest tomorrow, tracking rally cars. It's going to be bad enough in the (predicted) rain.

Done that, and in pouring rain, to boot.

It can be very exciting in the rain.

Have you done it before?

clocker
10-31-2009, 10:05 PM

I wanted the symbolism easily grasped.

Here's one for you Kev...DaYoopers Rusty Chevrolet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50IgzksUqpQ

j2k4
10-31-2009, 11:51 PM

I wanted the symbolism easily grasped.

Here's one for you Kev...DaYoopers Rusty Chevrolet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50IgzksUqpQ

Yeah, I believe that was filmed just down the road.

Da Yoopers "Tourist Trap" is just down the road as well; out front they have a working chainsaw (about 12-15' long) powered by a small-block Chevy.

True story.

Oh, yeah-

Here it is:

http://www.dayoopers.com/thetrap.html

j2k4
11-01-2009, 12:30 AM
Okay, here we go-

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr214/1backforty8/snowpic4.jpg

This was kind of different - we'd lost all of our snow to spring, then had a front roll through - I woke up for work and opened my front door only to find the top eighteen inches or so open, so I got dressed for shoveling and jumped out the hole as best I could, found my snow shovel by feel, then found my way to my car, etc.

This pic was from two or three days later, all shoveled and plowed.

This would have been (I think) about mid-April of '95.

That's my Grand Prix peeking through the hole.

That storm was probably 32" snowfall, all of it between midnite and six am.

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr214/1backforty8/snowpic3.jpg

This was the same storm, after my plow guy had back-bladed his way to my car, which I had to move before he could continue.

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr214/1backforty8/snowpic1.jpg

This is the view out the back door of one of the state liquor stores I used to run.

It used to snow every day - it was 35 miles north of my home (where the other storm pics came from), and the snowfall was significantly heavier in that distance.

This pic was from about mid-October of '96.

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr214/1backforty8/snowpic2.jpg

This one was the store parking lot (about the same time) which, as I recall, was about 50'x80'; these snowbanks were about 2-3 days accumulation; I had to have a front-end loader come in with a dump-truck every Friday to keep the snow below the power lines.

That's my G.P. again, on the right (where it belongs).

j2k4
11-01-2009, 12:32 AM
Shit.

Bear with me, gang...ah, that's better.

clocker
11-01-2009, 01:06 AM
We have a real love/hate relationship with snow here...we want it to snow like hell in the mountains but not here.
Which is usually the way it goes.

The ski areas love it when the Broncos play on Monday Night Football and it snows...people book vacations, fly into DIA and see no snow at all and wonder WTF happened.

We just laugh and laugh.

j2k4
11-01-2009, 03:20 AM
We have that (and I'm sure you do, too) with the snowmobilers - they get in their diesel duallie rigs, pulling a four-sled trailer down the road, driving all over the countryside in search of snow, never once having checked a forecast.

Talked to a fellow from downstate Illinois at a gas station early last winter; he said he'd driven to the Montana border across Iowa, South Dakota, etc., then driven back across North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and the U.P. without taking his Thundercat off the trailer once..

We really haven't had a "winter-worth-a-damn" since the El Nino/La Nina cycle of '95-'96.

Snow fall rarely breaks the 250" barrier anymore, and we don't get any real storms before the first of the year.

Fine with me, that is.

brotherdoobie
11-01-2009, 03:53 AM
Winter is kinda cool. Apple cider, snowballs, watching people slip on ice, hot chocolate, cabins and sex on rugs, like.

Oh, and Christmas. I love Christmas.

-doobs

clocker
11-01-2009, 04:43 AM
We have that...
The point of my story is that the ski areas do have lots of snow but Denver doesn't.
It can be a blizzard in Vail and nary a flake down here, but tourists deplane expecting a winter wonderland- like the one they saw on Monday night.

Skiz
11-01-2009, 08:26 AM
You guys are gluttons for punishment. :O

I have a tough week ahead of me as well. November in Texas is just brutal. :no:

http://i38.tinypic.com/28k50u9.jpg

brightsid
11-01-2009, 09:52 AM
My daughter is dreaming for snow like that for 3 years now. I'll print your pics

clocker
11-01-2009, 12:31 PM
You guys are gluttons for punishment. :O

I have a tough week ahead of me as well. November in Texas is just brutal. :no:

Jeez, that looks like heaven.

My daughter is dreaming for snow like that for 3 years now. I'll print your pics
I don't mind dreaming about snow, it's walking outside and shoveling it that I object to.

Skweeky
11-01-2009, 12:58 PM
It's still raining here.

PlayeR
11-01-2009, 02:11 PM
it's hot right here..

brightsid
11-01-2009, 10:19 PM
You are probably right clocker although never experienced a situation like that.

clocker
11-01-2009, 11:17 PM
I love a cryptic post.
Unlike Kev, you managed complete opacity using easily understood words...quite a feat.

lynx
11-02-2009, 12:51 AM

Have you done it before?
I've been doing this sort of thing for over 30 years, on and off. Competing was best, also warmest and driest, but that's probably what ruined my back. I've been away from the sport for a few years but I've come back to it this year.

Now I'm doing radio tracking. Mobile radios need lots of power and have to be kept dry which means I get to go into the stages with my vehicle and generally stay fairly warm and dry. The down side to that is that I'm sometimes allocated to a stage start or finish, which means I don't get to see any action.

But that's balanced when something goes wrong. You can be the first to know if you are at the stage finish and a car hasn't turned up or, as happened recently, positioned at the start and getting the rescue services moving before official notification of an incident has come through. There's a lot of satisfaction knowing you've made a difference.

Just got very wet today though. Horizontal rain. :cry:

j2k4
11-02-2009, 02:27 AM

Have you done it before?
I've been doing this sort of thing for over 30 years, on and off. Competing was best, also warmest and driest, but that's probably what ruined my back. I've been away from the sport for a few years but I've come back to it this year.

Now I'm doing radio tracking. Mobile radios need lots of power and have to be kept dry which means I get to go into the stages with my vehicle and generally stay fairly warm and dry. The down side to that is that I'm sometimes allocated to a stage start or finish, which means I don't get to see any action.

But that's balanced when something goes wrong. You can be the first to know if you are at the stage finish and a car hasn't turned up or, as happened recently, positioned at the start and getting the rescue services moving before official notification of an incident has come through. There's a lot of satisfaction knowing you've made a difference.

Just got very wet today though. Horizontal rain. :cry:

I heard that, but watching 'em in the messy stuff was great fun.

Never did enduros or rallying (never drove, I mean) but did checkpoints, timekeeping, flagging, etc.

After doing the dirt bike thing, I lost the compulsion to do much of the, um, berserk stuff off-road.

Keeping them out of trouble is pretty rewarding...been about eight years since I last did it.

j2k4
11-02-2009, 02:31 AM
Liked this, btw...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzX9lRb8xYk

clocker
11-02-2009, 03:03 AM
Oh, you rugged, rural types.
All my racing involved proper asphalt (well, at least in theory) but I've spectated the Pikes Peak Race to the Clouds three times.

All motorsport involves risk but few types add in the added danger of falling off a fucking mountain.

Skiz
11-02-2009, 04:10 AM
Jeez, that looks like heaven.

It is. I really love Austin.

We have the perfect combination of hippy and cowboy that it just... works. :happy:

(Plus the beautiful weather, obviousment)

clocker
11-02-2009, 04:15 AM
If more of Texas was like Austin, the state's outsized opinion of itself would be deserved.

Skiz
11-02-2009, 04:21 AM
Well, you have to have an inside knowledge of the state to understand where that opinion comes from. It's so big you have vastly different lifestyles, accents, scenery, etc all in the same state. The opinion is a humble one nonetheless.

I could go on and on but, I can't be arsed right now and you probably can't be either.

brotherdoobie
11-02-2009, 05:30 AM
Well, you have to have an inside knowledge of the state to understand where that opinion comes from. It's so big you have vastly different lifestyles, accents, scenery, etc all in the same state. The opinion is a humble one nonetheless.

I could go on and on but, I can't be arsed right now and you probably can't be either.

Thanks for that.

-doobs

lynx
11-02-2009, 08:39 AM
Liked this, btw...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzX9lRb8xYkThat's how I got my back problems.

brightsid
11-02-2009, 07:58 PM
I love a cryptic post.
Unlike Kev, you managed complete opacity using easily understood words...quite a feat.
Am I the one with that skill? :O
Probably it's just my poor English vocabulary cause I didn't try to be cryptic at all.

j2k4
11-02-2009, 08:52 PM
Liked this, btw...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzX9lRb8xYkThat's how I got my back problems.

Figured that.

Well done, sir...that's why I stopped jumping off roofs and stuff.

Amazing, really, that I wasn't dead before my fifteenth birthday.

If I had a buck for every time I said "Watch this"...

clocker
11-02-2009, 11:44 PM
...you'd have two bucks?

/rimshot

j2k4
11-03-2009, 12:15 AM
...you'd have two bucks?

/rimshot

I'd be quite well-off.

Reckoning interest, of course.