PDA

View Full Version : Leon the Professional

Totti
10-31-2009, 03:03 PM
I just saw this movie great great acting by Natalie Portman but her relationship with Leon (Jean Reno) is a little weird and how they fall in love together :cry: reminds me of lolita
I give this movie a 8.5/10

Skiz
10-31-2009, 04:18 PM
The Professional is one of my all time favorites.

If you want to see another great Natalie Portman movie when she was young, check out Beautiful Girls.

The_Martinator
10-31-2009, 04:36 PM
I thought Jean Reno's performance was great. Portman was good too, though.

Wouldn't call it one of my all time favs, but it's close. Great movie.

IdolEyes787
10-31-2009, 05:11 PM
I just saw this movie great great acting by Natalie Portman but her relationship with Leon (Jean Reno) is a little weird and how they fall in love together :cry: reminds me of lolita

Did you watch the theatrical or the "long "version ? If you thought her relationship in the shorter version was a " little weird" ( understatement of the year ) the long version will knock your socks off.

Good movie but I like my hero or in this case anti-hero a little lot more sympathetic. Reno is by far the best thing in the movie Gary Oldman is too over the top.
Reno's like Liam Neeson,unlikely action hero but he brings incredible quite weight to a role and is therefore totally believable.

Best young Natalie Portman movie is definitely Heat and bonus unlike Beautiful Girls you don't feel like a pervert watching it.
Also recommend Ronin for Reno and DeNiro and Sean Bean and definitely one of the best car chases ever .

clocker
10-31-2009, 05:14 PM
I really like this film although I'm up in the air about Gary Oldman's performance.
He essentially recreated the character for The Fifth Element (for the same director) and the extreme exaggeration seemed to fit there better than in Leon.

Nevertheless, Portman is great and Reno humanizes a monster very touchingly.

The_Martinator
10-31-2009, 06:09 PM

Did you watch the theatrical or the "long "version ? If you thought her relationship in the shorter version was a " little weird" ( understatement of the year ) the long version will knock your socks off.

Good movie but I like my hero or in this case anti-hero a little lot more sympathetic. Reno is by far the best thing in the movie Gary Oldman is too over the top.
Reno's like Liam Neeson,unlikely action hero but he brings incredible quite weight to a role and is therefore totally believable.

Best young Natalie Portman movie is definitely Heat and bonus unlike Beautiful Girls you don't feel like a pervert watching it.
Also recommend Ronin for Reno and DeNiro and Sean Bean and definitely one of the best car chases ever .

+1 on the Ronin recommendation. Great car chases ftw!

Have yet to watch Heat, though.

clocker
10-31-2009, 06:12 PM
Heat sucks.

Probably a minority opinion but there you have it.

clocker
10-31-2009, 06:13 PM
Heat sucks.

Apparently it sucks twice as bad as I thought...

The_Martinator
10-31-2009, 06:24 PM
Heat sucks.

Apparently it sucks twice as bad as I thought...

:lol:

Well just cause you said so, I'm gonna watch the trailer first.

IdolEyes787
10-31-2009, 06:44 PM
Heat sucks.

I'd knew you didn't like it but you have taste so who cares what you think.

Minority Report sucks if that's any help.

Trailer Park Boys :Countdown to Liquor Day sucks too. Luv the series though.

Clockers is pretty good. Even if it's Spike Lee .
Too bad Spike Jonze didn't do it.:(

100%
10-31-2009, 07:36 PM
Luc Besson sometimes manages to really hit the spot, but most of the time he fails miserably in his attempt to be mainstream humorous.
Leon, Nikita, Angel-A, Le grand Blue, Subway, 5th Element are gems.

and 5th element is on the edge.

Totti
10-31-2009, 07:53 PM

hmmm I don't know if watched the theatrical version what's the difference?? i think i saw little girls and it was pretty boring or I might be switching it with another movie with Winona Ryder..... Yes Jean Reno does play the anti-hero perfectly in this movie and i really connected to him and felt sorry for his character. What I also liked about Reno (Leon) was that he gave the character a childish mentality and it just fitted perfectly with the way Natalie Portman played a very mature 12

brightsid
10-31-2009, 09:32 PM
Grand Bleu is my favorite staring Reno. To tell you the truth probably because of Arquette.
The Heat could be a fine action movie if the duration was 1 hour shorter.

IdolEyes787
10-31-2009, 10:05 PM
Michael Mann has a tendency to let scenes drag on longer than they should and he also spends too much time on setup but he's a stylist more than a storyteller and as a visual stylist he has few peers.In Mann, there are echoes of Antonioni and Kubrick.
And like Kubrick he also has the ability to fill the screen with action and never let it undermine the performances of his actors.
He is without question one of the more interesting filmmakers working today.

clocker
10-31-2009, 10:38 PM
Michael Mann has a tendency to let scenes drag on longer than they should
No shit.
The robbery/shootout scene in Heat is only slightly shorter than the Vietnam war.

He is without question one of the more interesting filmmakers working today.
I question that.
Probably just out of habit.

Totti
10-31-2009, 10:42 PM
If we are talking about interesting directors I think Zack Snyder is one of them Watchmen was one of my favorite films of 2009 he also directed 300 a little commercial for my flavor but one of the better action movies that have came out over the last three years.

Skiz
11-01-2009, 05:00 AM
No shit.
The robbery/shootout scene in Heat is only slightly shorter than the Vietnam war.

It's also considered by many to be one of the best shootout scenes ever. It also set the bar for what was considered a more realistic shootout.

I for one loved it.

megabyteme
11-01-2009, 05:29 AM
No shit.

It's also considered by many to be one of the best shootout scenes ever. It also set the bar for what was considered a more realistic shootout.

I for one loved it.

Definitely agreed. :yup:

Very much like this LA shootout from 1997.

6-cMIVNntHs

The_Martinator
11-01-2009, 12:11 PM
Grand Bleu is my favorite staring Reno. To tell you the truth probably because of Arquette.
The Heat could be a fine action movie if the duration was 1 hour shorter.

I watched it on TV a few years ago without expecting much. I got a lot. Great movie indeed.

placebocrazy
11-01-2009, 12:18 PM
I watched this movie recently. I liked it very much. It's a strange relationship between Leon and the Girl indeed.