PDA

View Full Version : Burning ISO or MDS

Capsino
11-01-2009, 07:42 PM
I have a DVD iso image but there is also a .mds file. My question is now whether there is any reason to burn it with alcohol (mds) instead of just burning the iso with nero. :mellow:

Appzalien
11-02-2009, 03:13 AM
If you have an iso utility you can use, (my favorite is Ultraiso) you can try to open the mds file with it, and see if it automatically picks up the iso file in the same folder (thats what would happen if it was alcohols mdf file anyway). If it will not open, then the mds file is usless. I have burned iso's that came with mds files and had no issues I can remember.

Also you can try right clicking the mds file and then select "open with" and point to nero.exe (if its not in the list as "Nero Burning Rom"). If Nero opens the mds and in turn the full iso, then you OK to go and the mds is probably usless anyway.

There is always the possiblity that somwone renamed the mdf to iso before raring up the files and included the mds file for his buddies who know his tricks. Some out there have their own forms of share limiting.

SelfMadeMMAn
11-10-2009, 05:08 AM
MDS is for dual layer discs. It is a True replica. If you have a single layer disc then use the ISO, not the MDS. DVD Decrypter works great for me and gives you the warning about MDS files.

Appzalien
12-13-2009, 04:17 PM
MDS is an alcohol 120% file and as far as I know has little to do with the disk being single or double layer. I have burned a lot of double layer disks from Iso files over 4.3gig, and not one of them included an mds file.