PDA

View Full Version : Should I bother installing Windows 7 on this hardware?

adamp2p
11-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Hello everyone...should I bother installing Windows 7 on this computer?

Athlon 64 X2 2.2 ghz dual core
1 gb PC3200 ram
Radeon x1300 series 256 mb graphics card

I could upgrade the ram to 3gb, would it be worth it then?

Thanks.

clocker
11-02-2009, 11:40 PM
Unless you just happen to have two gigs of DDR laying around- and really, who doesn't these days?- then no, don't bother.
If you can get the RAM for free or very cheap, then sure, that spec will easily run Win7.

Detale
11-03-2009, 02:48 AM
See if your board supports more than a gig and i'll see i may just have some laying around I can send you ;)

adamp2p
11-03-2009, 04:10 PM
See if your board supports more than a gig and i'll see i may just have some laying around I can send you ;)

My board supports up to 1024 mb modules of pc3200. I can pay you for it.

Detale
11-03-2009, 04:31 PM
How many 1 gb stick does it support? I'll be going downstairs to my workshop tonight to start my own build. I'll see what i have down there. I'm pretty sure I have a few 1gb sticks there. Whenever I see someone through out a computer I cant help but salvage anything good out of if. A bit of a junk collector I guess :P

adamp2p
11-04-2009, 06:03 AM
How many 1 gb stick does it support? I'll be going downstairs to my workshop tonight to start my own build. I'll see what i have down there. I'm pretty sure I have a few 1gb sticks there. Whenever I see someone through out a computer I cant help but salvage anything good out of if. A bit of a junk collector I guess :P

You're starting a new build? What does that mean? Are you building a new computer right now?

My system already has two 512mb sticks, it's dual channel, so I need matching pairs.

Thanks for your time,

Adam

S!X
11-06-2009, 05:44 AM
Ideally you want at least 2 gigs or ram as clocker mentioned. I ran Windows 7 on a gig for a little while and it was ok, but after picking up another gig there was a really noticeable speed difference.

Detale
11-08-2009, 02:29 AM
Yes i am going to start building a new computer....again. I have a thread in here about it Water cooled setup (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/t-water-cooled-setup-309501). Sorry man All I had is a 1 GB stick and a 256mb down there. I am in the process of cleaning up the area so maybe I'll come across more as the place has been hit by a hurricane.

gevorg
11-21-2009, 08:23 AM

You're starting a new build? What does that mean? Are you building a new computer right now?

My system already has two 512mb sticks, it's dual channel, so I need matching pairs.

Thanks for your time,

Adam

Whats the brand/model of your motherboard? If it supports Athlon X2, it should support memory sticks of at least 1GB in size.

Replace those two 515MB sticks with two 1GB sticks, and you'll have a nice W7 system. Dual-core Athlon is still pretty decent.

karachidude
11-23-2009, 10:10 AM
i have a friend who is running Win7 on a Pentium 4,1.8,with 2GB RAM,with no probs,he is really good:)

karachidude
11-23-2009, 10:10 AM
i have a friend who is running Win7 on a Pentium 4,1.8,with 2GB RAM,with no probs,he is really good:)