PDA

View Full Version : Born To Run

clocker
11-04-2009, 01:55 AM
Born To Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen by Christopher McDougall.

The Tamahumara Indians live in the remote recesses of Mexico's Copper Canyon, having fled there to escape the Europeans 400 years ago.
They have no money or crime, no incidence of modern disease (cancer, etc.), drink their homemade beer and for sport, they run.
And run and run.
A typical race is 75-100 miles through and over the canyons.
They can humble the most highly trained modern ultramarathoner...while laughing. They really enjoy running.

This highly entertaining book tells about the author's attempt-ultimately successful- to meet and race with the Tarahumara on their own turf.
Along the way he slips in a lot of science and introduces a weird cast of ultraathletes.

I haven't enjoyed a book as much as this one in a long time.

brotherdoobie
11-04-2009, 08:01 AM
I'm going to the library tomorrow and see if they have a copy. Thanks for the post, Clocker.

-doobs

IdolEyes787
11-04-2009, 01:44 PM
Strange coincidence you posting this as I just noticed it today it in a Toronto Life article about gifts for runners.
Sounds like a good read .

clocker
11-04-2009, 01:59 PM
The author appeared on The Daily Show about a month ago and his story was so interesting that I reserved the book at the library.

I am not a runner- or even particularly athletic- and still found the book engrossing.

Coincidentally, my brother, a lifelong denizen of Boulder, has actually met the White Horse (a pivotal character in the story) and confirms that he's just as crazed as the book depicts him.

j2k4
11-04-2009, 08:58 PM
I gonna have to order it for the shelf and put it alongside "Z".

Also, apropos of something - I'm sure - I read your post and my mind adeptly and adroitly slipped in a substitute word:

Along the way he slips in a puddle of science...

I honestly don't know why this happened.

I am proceeding to Amazon post-haste.

clocker
11-05-2009, 04:14 AM
I honestly don't know why this happened.

The mind is a mysterious thing.