PDA

View Full Version : Computer Shut Down

Skweeky
10-09-2003, 12:59 PM
I have the following problem

I just got a new computer, it's all standard, didn't change anything yet (hardware I mean). Every now and then it just shut down without warning, then restarts. My screen flickers every now and then so I thought it might be a problem with my graphics card....

Just wanted to hear a few opinions before I start looking into it :)

lynx
10-09-2003, 01:27 PM
I assume you don't mean that it goes through the proper shutdown procedure (saving settings etc).

There are so many possibilities, from a component not seated correctly, to faulty software drivers. Is there any pattern to the reboots? System specs might be useful.

First of all, run Window Update to see if there are any updated drivers.
Try removing and reseating the memory, and the graphics and other cards.

Edit: Ketchup contamination ? :P

Lamsey
10-09-2003, 04:01 PM
It sounds similar to a problem I once had with dodgy RAM - basically instrucions held in RAM were being corrupted to a 'reset' command, as far as i can tell.

You might want to try using MemTest86 to check that the RAM is not faulty.

http:/www.memtest86.com

Virtualbody1234
10-09-2003, 04:11 PM
Turn off the automatically restart on sytem failure feature.

Press and hold the 'windows key' and press the 'Pause/Break' key. Now in the window that pops-up Click on the 'Advanced tab', goto the 'Startup and Recovery - Settings' then remove the checkmark from [ ] Automatically restart and click ok.

Now instead of restarting, your computer will give an error message.

RedRival
10-09-2003, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@9 October 2003 - 17:11

Now instead of restarting, your computer will give an error message.
Hopefully not the blue screen of death or some error message that you can't get out off, then it won't make much of a difference :(

Virtualbody1234
10-09-2003, 05:12 PM
Yes it makes a difference. You can use the information to diagnose the problem and fix it.

Skweeky
10-09-2003, 11:12 PM
Sorry for not replying any sooner :)

I did the Windows update, and that thing Virtualbody said, and it hasn't happened again so far. I'll let you know in a few days if the problem has been solved

Thanks everyone! ;)

Skweeky
10-10-2003, 03:15 PM
Thanks guys, the problem has been solved. :D

lynx
10-10-2003, 03:23 PM
Installed a new ketchup driver? :P

bowrabob
10-11-2003, 07:25 AM
I put a new PC together and when I booted it for the first time it started to smoke...the 2nd bank of Ram had popped up...I never clipped it in properly....I re booted and windows started...it was going fine untill I played Quake 3 it shut down and restarted ...sometimes when I boot it tells me to replace the sytsem disk...is the Board stuffed ?

james_bond_rulez
10-11-2003, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by Cowboy Bob@11 October 2003 - 07:25
I put a new PC together and when I booted it for the first time it started to smoke...the 2nd bank of Ram had popped up...I never clipped it in properly....I re booted and windows started...it was going fine untill I played Quake 3 it shut down and restarted ...sometimes when I boot it tells me to replace the sytsem disk...is the Board stuffed ?
the computer smoked?

that didn&#39;t sound good <_<

lynx
10-11-2003, 11:11 AM
Try the MemTest86 that Lamsey suggested.