PDA

View Full Version : Linksys modem keeps dropping connection!?

Elvenmunky
11-06-2009, 12:17 PM
I have a Linksys wireless modem (WAG325N) and it keeps losing the connection to the internet every 3 hours or so which means i have to restart it (unplug then plug it in again) for me to get the connection back. Ive updated the firmware, changed the password and even gave it a hard reset. I still get the connection drop HOWEVER when it does drop, the dsl light stays on and also the devices that are connected by ethernet are still connected to the net :S so im wondering if this is a wireless issue?? The only devices that are connected wirelessly are the PC and the iPhone. Anyone got any suggestions?

Detale
11-06-2009, 02:16 PM
I would say to try and find a 3rd party (hacked) firmware out there if the thing isn't under warranty, if it is call Linysys up on the phone man, I had to call them once and they were very helpful.

dadelor
11-08-2009, 07:40 PM
does this happen over 3 hours while downloading or just 3 hours of normal internet activity?

Elvenmunky
11-09-2009, 01:49 PM
Just normal internet activity...some downloading. I went out yesterday so the PC was turned off and the iPhone wasn't in the vicinity and the connection didn't drop all day. It only seems to happen when its in use.

And also i cant find any hacked firmwares for my router.

inthistwilight
11-09-2009, 07:35 PM
I've had that problem before and the problem was actually my neighbors baby monitor (2.4ghz). It was severely interfering with my wireless router. Unfortunately there wasn't a real way to fix it (I can't really tell my neighbor that they need to buy a new monitor) I had to unfortunately move to a wired connection for a few months. Luckily they moved a few months later.

Detale
11-09-2009, 09:10 PM
Even when you change channely on the router it still interferes? I thought the idea of changing the channel was supposed to help in that case.

Tv Controls you
11-10-2009, 03:16 AM
I had the same problem for about a month straight. When ever i would run my torrent machine with my linksys WRT54g the router would stop working out of no where.

I would have to go all the way to my basement and reset it. It was almost like it was overheating, but when i tried to say a web page say google it would act like its loading but take like a minutes then finally say it timed out.... Weird.....

To get to the point, i put custom firmwire on in and have never(knock on wood 6 months and going) had a problem. If your interested http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

I highly recommend it, the admin pannel is 10x better than linksys's, also it uses way less energy, and most importantly doesn't lock up.

*note* Looked at your post and im not sure if they support your model but take a look, trust me you'll be happy

Rart
11-10-2009, 03:56 AM
I ended up disliking the issues that came with a router so much that I just ended up buying a cable to get it wired. I still have it wired through the router as to appease the others that want to use wireless, but a nice cheap 100ft cable from newegg allowed me to wire to the connection even when it was in a completely different room, and its alot more reliable.

Detale
11-10-2009, 07:51 AM
Better DL speeds anyway ;) Still you should really look into that Firmware upgrade man. I used the same one on my WRT54g a while back. I have a new router now and thank god it's working well. Wireless N this time ;)

Elvenmunky
11-10-2009, 11:47 PM
Thanx for the interest guys but i cant seem to find a hacked firmware for my model. I went on the linksys forums and one of the guys told me some settings. The connection doesn't drop as much now BUT I still get about 3 drops a day as opposed to one every 3 hours. The funny thing is that when it does drop, the internet browsing stops (mozilla gets the 'server not found' message) but the processes that are still running (e.g utorrent, ps3 network, xbox live, msn) stays active and then when i turn off utorrent or sign out of msn it doesn't connect back again :huh: Hope this is a clue to whatever the problem is....

Elvenmunky
11-13-2009, 01:41 PM
anyone?