PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Age: Origins

1000possibleclaws
11-06-2009, 09:02 PM
This new Bioware (dev for Mass Effect, KoToR, Neverwinter Nights) game deserves a topic. 9.5 Editors Choice on Gamespot (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/dragonage/review.html)

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/6731/dragonaget.png
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/2932/92066820091102790screenx.jpg
Discuss:

valetnin2007
11-09-2009, 12:32 PM
awesome game, i've played it on xbox.
it's a great game

kaffeine
11-13-2009, 06:22 PM
This looks great. Could anyone playing it give some feedback?

mr. nails
11-13-2009, 07:17 PM
i've never played the game, but have seen it played. the interface looks horrid and the constant dialog with the absence of any other gameplay is a turnoff (and i play a lot of rpg's). when the gameplay does commence it seems the npc's do most of the work for u. to me, this isn't much of a favorite past time.

kaffeine
11-13-2009, 10:48 PM
That's a shame, being the "spiritual successor" to BG and all that.

7th
11-14-2009, 12:52 AM
That's a shame, being the "spiritual successor" to BG and all that.

kaffeine, if you are a BG fan, you should play this and, if you can, with a PC. Don't go for the console version, and the Xbox360 version is the worst one. And the console version you don't have what makes BG a great game (the strategic view).

I'm playing it in my PC and the game is awesome. Yes, expect a lot of dialogs but common!, this is not a Final Fantasy game :mellow: And you have to take some difficult decisions during the game =P

Wish I could have more options to start the game, more races and classes like in BG. It's going to take some time for me to finish it for the first time so I can't say much...

kaffeine
11-14-2009, 04:56 AM
I'm a huge fan of the BG series, so I have great expectations about it. I am planning on playing it on the PC too. It seems it was designed to be played that way. We will see, I hope it doesn't disappoint.

Snee
11-14-2009, 10:42 AM
This looks great. Could anyone playing it give some feedback?

The aa is weird for me, makes edges look like someone's gone over them with a smudging tool in photoshop, and then pixelated it. And it's got some other graphical quirks going that makes it look less than stellar at times. (That could just be to do with the drivers for my cards not having matured enough yet, though.)

A lot of the environments are kind of drab and boring.

You can zoom pretty far out and play it kind of like Baldur's gate, or you can zoom in and and even control your character directly wasd-style. That kind of variety's nice, though you'll probably spend most of the time zoomed out because that just works out better.

And if you've played baldur's gate or nwn, there really won't be many surprises in the interface or the game mechanics, imo.

The part of the character generation tool that let's you decide the shape of your character's face is kind of like Oblivion's - a gazillion possible choices but the end result won't look that good.

Other than that it's a bit clichéd, but deep.

Oh, and you can "romance" other party members, and how you do at that depends on what choices you make.

Morrigan seems to like it when you play more towards the evil, for instance.

That's what I've got thus far. I doubt I'll play it all the way through any time soon, and I tend to put it down in favour of something else, like Torchlight. But it's an ok game, though not as good as I thought it would be.

Oh, and being good at picking locks might be good at the beginning of the game. Bunch of doors I had to go around and chests I could never get into.

kaffeine
11-14-2009, 04:59 PM
Thanks Snee. It seems it's like a modernised BG/NWN/Icewind Dale that didn't quite make it.

That option to change the play style must feel like a wasted feature. Kind of like the third person view in Oblivion or Fallout 3.

I hope the story delivers. Maybe it's just slow, but if it doesn't keep you coming back for more, something's wrong.

I haven't played Torchlight, but it looks fun. I like Diablo and I will give it a try too.

Snee
11-14-2009, 08:25 PM
Thanks Snee. It seems it's like a modernised BG/NWN/Icewind Dale that didn't quite make it.

[...]

I hope the story delivers. Maybe it's just slow, but if it doesn't keep you coming back for more, something's wrong.

To be fair, maybe my expectations were a bit off. A lot of critics seem to like it. More than one of them has called it a masterpiece.

kaffeine
11-14-2009, 08:44 PM
Maybe they are calling it a masterpiece because nothing good has came out in such a long time (in that genre + play style). Nothing wrong with expecting that much from a game everyone is praising so much.

I'll have to try it out. I am also expecting much of it and I fear I'll end up considering just another overrated sensation.

picstk
11-16-2009, 09:10 AM
i love this game, very very beautiful....

Brandon_Heat
11-17-2009, 09:51 AM
This game is really something
played about 10 hr and still look as new...
It has everything which makes the game awesome rpg...

kooltilldend
11-17-2009, 12:02 PM
i'm just waiting on an upgrade for my pc before i get this...it "has" to be epic!

7th
11-19-2009, 07:31 PM

Yep, I like the game but, if you ask me, BG was without any doubt a greater experience...

kaydub
11-20-2009, 05:07 PM
This game is great... Working my way into Morrigans pants :naughty:

Brandon_Heat
11-21-2009, 03:32 AM
already hmmmm with her...

Nakitu
11-29-2009, 09:29 AM
Completed it for second time. Best game of the year for me.

ajctive
11-29-2009, 03:38 PM
awesome game, i've played it on xbox.
it's a great game

7th
11-30-2009, 01:36 AM
Completed it for second time. Best game of the year for me.

how many hours to finish it for the second time, once you know what to do?
I just gave it some time and got back to console with demon's souls, another awesome game :D

jurrele
12-02-2009, 06:16 PM
ilove this game so much

dette
12-06-2009, 11:13 PM
ilove this game so much

So do I!
I play it on PC and its fantastic!

getsuga
12-07-2009, 03:56 PM
I finished this game two weeks ago, really good game, decent dialogue and plot, it can be przyeczepic only later to the tedious but generally fighting game on the big plus

dette
12-07-2009, 08:03 PM
The game is kind of... Slow sometimes.. But thats how RPG's are. As for the type of game.. I definitely think this is a great game! Pretty nice cut scenes. Seems like a good story for as far as I am.