PDA

View Full Version : Need a quick opinion

j2k4
11-07-2009, 12:23 AM
Just bought an HP dvd 555s external drive to use with my new netbook; it came with Nero 8 Essentials...should I keep the Nero or toss it?

For what it's worth, the netbook is running XP until I trip over Win7 32 and/or verify the Delorme mapping program I intend to buy will work with Win7.

clocker
11-07-2009, 01:43 AM
Have you tried it yet?
Did it work?

j2k4
11-07-2009, 01:54 AM
Nah, looking for someone who has used it...never been wild about Nero, but thought it might be a relatively bloat-free mini-suite.

There are so many other progs available, though, ya'know?

I only bought the drive (well, I did kinda want to have one around) to reload the OS, 'cuz I think I got carried away with De-crappifier and took out some of my wireless stuff by mistake...

Speedo
11-07-2009, 05:10 AM
When I'm in windows I don't burn anything without imgburn. Look it up on filehippo.com (first stop for any software). Nero seems to be getting into bloatware world.

Just my 2 cents.

FreakinWeasel
11-07-2009, 05:24 AM
I use it all the time at work to burn iso's. It ain't bad or heavy on the resources. And it's simple to use. Not sure how much buring you'll need from a netbook but it should work. You did pimp out the ram to 2 gig I hope?

j2k4
11-07-2009, 03:57 PM
When I'm in windows I don't burn anything without imgburn. Look it up on filehippo.com (first stop for any software). Nero seems to be getting into bloatware world.

Just my 2 cents.

I already use Imgburn (great prog; it's based on DVDdecrypter, which I've used for years), it's one of the reasons I'm questioning the Nero - can't think of anything Imgburn can't do that I would need...

I use it all the time at work to burn iso's. It ain't bad or heavy on the resources. And it's simple to use. Not sure how much buring you'll need from a netbook but it should work. You did pimp out the ram to 2 gig I hope?

...especially with the netbook, as you say.

Netty is a little monster - 7200rpm HDD and 2G of RAM.

I didn't go with the SSD because I don't need that kind of speed, but this little thing is mighty quick, nonetheless - I'm kinda liking it.

Also cool that I can cart it around in a regular-size bag with every accessory I can think of, and the 'puter in it's sleeve can be pulled out for field-work.

Kind of a George Carlin, smaller-version-of-my-stuff deal.

As to the Nero 8, I suppose I don't have to throw it away, but.

lightshow
11-07-2009, 08:13 PM
I'm in the same boat as you. I hate installing any version of nero (with the exception of the micro edition of the burning rom)

Really, now I just use imgburn since it has file/folder writing support. Though, I still like a big easy to use window that nero provides.

I can live without nero.

100%
11-07-2009, 08:55 PM
If your only using it for basic burning.
Try Microburner - 1.75mb
http://www.brothersoft.com/silentnight-microburner-33348.html

j2k4
11-08-2009, 01:38 AM
Ah, nice one.

I'll put that one somewhere, too.