PDA

View Full Version : Block accounts a good idea?

Sporkk
11-09-2009, 06:22 AM
I'm currently using astraweb with the kleverig special and very happy with the service. However with a dvr and netflix my usenet usage has dropped considerably. I'm trying to go legit and don't want comcast bothering me with their cap.

I've tried to go cold turkey from newsgroups but sometimes the dvr screws up or I miss the beginning of a new series. Do you think blocknews would be a good idea? I was looking at $90 for 1 tb with no time limit. I would be able to get rid of the monthly fee and still have access when I need it.

topicaltapioca
11-09-2009, 09:03 AM
That is quite a deal, Comcast cap is apparently around 250gb and there's a meter on your account page, or is that old news?

Hm, 90 is a great deal for that size and multiple IPs could use it. But 96 dollars would buy unlimited service for a year.

It might be a circle answer, but it really depends how much you'll be using.

Going to download 83.333gb a month?

You'll come out ahead.

Going to share it and the cost? You might be better off that way if everyone doesn't use more than (1000 / 12) * number of shareholders a month.

zillionandnine
11-09-2009, 02:50 PM
I had the same problem as you - I also have netflix and a DVR, and my usenet usage went way down. I bought a block account from blocknews and haven't been happier. It's definitely been saving me money. So I say go for it.

oddcat
11-09-2009, 03:46 PM
I'm happy enough with the $96 unlimited from Astraweb even if I don't fully exploit it. Its not a fortune when you break it down week by week and it lets me be lazy. Which I'm good at:P

Funkin'
11-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Block accounts are a great idea if you're not a heavy downloader. Why pay a monthly fee if you only download a few files a month? However if you download a whole lot, then a block account probably wouldn't be worth it.

I'll have to check out blocknews' 1TB block account. I had no idea any providers went that high with block accounts.

Rart
11-09-2009, 09:27 PM
It definitely looks very attractive... I don't even think I download anywhere near 100 gigs a month anyway so it might work out quite well.

Sporkk
11-09-2009, 10:26 PM
I looked at the 96$ special from astraweb and it seems they are no longer offering it. What happens to the people that have switched to that plan and then the kleverig spcial runs out?

On their main page it looks like 200gb for $25 is the top plan but when you look in a bit further you can find the 1tb deal. I could break even in less than 9 months. I hope they are able to continue offering these plans. I could save a lot by using mostly xvid stuff and always stay with 720p if im in the mood for hd. I normally don't grab anything that is rated under a 7 anyway. I have become bored watching so many mediocre movies.

topicaltapioca
11-10-2009, 01:42 AM
The $96/yr one is still available last I checked, just you have to have a super secret link to it.

Once you sign up for the 96/yr or 11/month, you have it forever until you discontinue it.

Sporkk
11-10-2009, 01:56 AM
http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/96-yearly.html

"This is a SPECIAL offer. Available for 2 weeks only! Offer expires 18 July 2009

This offer has now expired. Please consider our other plans instead. "

Rart
11-10-2009, 02:57 AM
Someone had posted a link to a astraweb 96$ plan:

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/p-astraweb-post3305738/postcount21

However an earlier post on that same thread was edited for the same reason and the link does seem a little like a referral link. However, that post wasn't removed...

If it constitutes advertising feel free to remove it I guess.

If all else fails, you could just email support claiming another company is offering you a better yearly price, then they will most likely give you a working 96$ a month plan.

TrollinThunder
11-10-2009, 03:53 AM
Sweet thanks Rart!

SonsOfLiberty
11-10-2009, 04:42 AM
If you not big downloader block accounts are awesome...if you a uploader block accounts are the way to go because uploading doesn't count towards you quota and most block accounts don't expire....but if you don't download a whole bunch then block accounts are cheaper.

Sporkk
11-10-2009, 12:49 PM
I went with astraweb yearly. Thank you for the link. Sometimes I over analyze and can't make up my mind.