PDA

View Full Version : Arrghhllll

Skweeky
11-11-2009, 02:06 PM
I have to double check the translation of an IT tech manual. 369 pages of this drivel:

(4)
Media text 4: " Plug serial, USB, and other devices into the appropriate connectors (see "System Connectors" for more information).
{{TRANSLATION}}
"
(4)
Texte média 4 : "Branchez les dispositifs série, USB ou autres sur les connecteurs appropriés (reportez-vous à la section "Connecteurs système" pour des informations supplémentaires).

:dabs:

Something Else
11-11-2009, 08:29 PM
Branchez :smilie4:

megabyteme
11-11-2009, 10:56 PM
Just tell 'em it looks "great", skweeky. I've never seen instructions translated into English that were any good. :shifty:

Is that what you normally do? I can see why it would make you go, "Arrghhllll".

On a work related note, I was able to gather 55+ surveys for a communication survey my wife and I are dong for a local charity. That went very well. I might even volunteer at the food bank for awhile. Wonderful place. They help the needy with everything from food, to clothes, to help with controlling their social security money. They were even signing people up for Thanksgiving meals and have a special program to get coats to kids.

I also met a lot of very nice families who were waiting to go through the food bank. I'm feeling pretty good today. :happy:

Anyone else do any volunteer work?

brotherdoobie
11-12-2009, 01:19 AM
Just tell 'em it looks "great", skweeky. I've never seen instructions translated into English that were any good. :shifty:

Is that what you normally do? I can see why it would make you go, "Arrghhllll".

On a work related note, I was able to gather 55+ surveys for a communication survey my wife and I are dong for a local charity. That went very well. I might even volunteer at the food bank for awhile. Wonderful place. They help the needy with everything from food, to clothes, to help with controlling their social security money. They were even signing people up for Thanksgiving meals and have a special program to get coats to kids.

I also met a lot of very nice families who were waiting to go through the food bank. I'm feeling pretty good today. :happy:

Anyone else do any volunteer work?

I'm pretty sure I'm the one feeding and clothing my pot dealers family. I'm not looking for glory or praise. It's the right thing to do.

I wish I was able to do more, but I'm only one man.

-doobs :innocent:

megabyteme
11-12-2009, 04:15 AM
I'm pretty sure I'm the one feeding and clothing my pot dealers family. I'm not looking for glory or praise. It's the right thing to do.

I wish I was able to do more, but I'm only one man.

-doobs :innocent:

Yer doin' God's work, BD. If only the rest of the world had your compassion and drive...

Bless you for your good works, doobie.:happy:

Skweeky
11-12-2009, 09:26 AM
It's part of what I do mbm. I pretend I know stuff about stuff I know fuck all about, then I tell people in Belgium, The Netherlands and Luxembourg what to do.

Since I speak a few different languages, I usually get landed with proof reading as well. The advantage is that I get to skive a lot. Muahahaha

megabyteme
11-12-2009, 10:18 AM
I had to look the word "skive" up. Good word!

To skive is British slang for the practice of avoiding responsibilities because you want to do something more fun or just don't want to do what you should be doing.

* In the context of schooling, this is known as truancy.
* In the military, this is known as desertion

That is how I have been living for quite awhile now. Now I have a verb for my (lack of) actions.

Well, at least I can get away with it until the twins arrive... Then I can teach them how to do it too! :happy:

Skweeky
11-12-2009, 10:20 AM
't Is an art, so it is.

chalice
11-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Are you getting paid for it?

Skweeky
11-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Of course I am. Now leave me alone, I am busy trying to find amusing stories on tinterwebz.

Biggles
11-12-2009, 07:18 PM
I have always wondered if some of the really bizarre translations were done by bored translators just for a laugh like.

:dabs:

Skweeky
11-12-2009, 07:40 PM
Maybe :shifty:

Snee
11-14-2009, 10:05 AM
I did a paper on translations of instruction manuals once, it's pretty lulzy stuff.

The more different the source- and target languages, the better.

English to french shouldn't be all that exciting though. Boring stuff, I bet.

Do you only get to do manuals and the like?

Skweeky
11-14-2009, 05:53 PM
I only do the proof reads for Dutch and French for the manuals.

The translations I do are English-Dutch, and it's usually contracts and the like.

JPaul
11-14-2009, 06:00 PM
And you try to tell us you aren't a wee Dutch lassie.

Skweeky
11-14-2009, 06:03 PM
If I were Dutch, I wouldn't speak French :racist:

JPaul
11-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Can't Dutch people speak French, weird.

And also they are really good at English for sure.