PDA

View Full Version : Shogun

clocker
11-12-2009, 01:52 AM
Shogun (1980).
A TV miniseries based on the novel by James Clavell, starring Richard Chamberlain and Toshiro Mifuni.

Man, this is tough.
Recently, while laying sick abed, for some reason I flashed back to memories of this miniseries and decided to revisit it when I felt better.

I have to give a little background for you younger folk...
In 1980 there were no PCs, no DVDs, no VCRs even.
The term "appointment TV" had a whole different meaning since if you missed it when it aired...well, you'd really missed it.
It was over and you weren't getting it again unless it reran on broadcast TV (oh yeah, no such thing as cable either).

The book had been a huge bestseller and I was quite excited about the miniseries, as was everyone I knew.
It was such a big deal that the restaurant I was working in closed for the five nights of broadcast and we all gathered and drank sake, smoked dope and had a grand old time.
There were multiple TVs- none larger than 25" (which was giant for the time) and I remember the experience fondly.

I should have left this sleeping dog lie.

The tale surrounds John Blackthorne (Chamberlain), the first English seacaptain/pilot to stumble upon Japan, previously a closely guarded Spanish secret.
The time is 1600 and Japan is going through political upheaval with Lord Toranaga (Mifuni) attempting to become the empire wide military ruler (the Shogun).
Lots of political,religious and cultural intrigue occurs.

Yes, there are ninjas.

Shogun was the first (and still only) American TV production filmed entirely in Japan, so the locations and the mostly Japanese cast are very authentic.
The costumes are quite beautiful, especially the women's.
Speaking of the women...almost without exception they are ethereally graceful and exotically gorgeous and are basically the best reason to watch the series.
Although most of the dialogue is in Japanese, there are no subtitles, so if there isn't an English speaking character in the scene (or a designated translator), the audience is as lost as the English characters are supposed to be.
It's really quite weird.

The special effects ( a few sea scenes and an earthquake) are laughable and the music is just totally excreable...I mean jarringly bad (yes, that's a really inside pun...look it up).

Although there are a few undeniably powerful setpieces (my highlight would be the Lady Toda's ritual seppuku), most of the scenes are short, very static and entirely in Japanese.
The plot kind of lurches from one shot to the next and lacks the fluidity that even mediocre modern TV shows exhibit.

In 1980, Shogun was a massive hit and won lots of awards.
It was such a big deal that wikipedia even credits it with popularizing Japanese cuisine- especially sushi- in the US.
Since I don't speak Japanese it's possible that wasabi is what most of the series was actually about...

Anyway, I just thought I'd share my short trip back to "the good ole days".
They really weren't that good as it turns out- although if you have nine hours to spare, you'll get an idea about what your parents thought was cool.

brightsid
11-13-2009, 05:48 AM
Thanks for the memories clocker :) . Just download the series so that my father can watch it again.

IdolEyes787
11-13-2009, 03:35 PM
From the hey-day of the miniseries when TV was still the primary conveyor of entertainment to the masses.In a land where Richard Chamberlain was the unquestioned God( that last statement alone should tell you all you need to know about the level to expect.Besides there is a aura emitted by Gay actors that never allow them to be convincing heterosexual romantic leads) .

Vaguely remember it.I have recollections of the early scene of the torture/execution of Blackthorne's crew being deeply affecting .After that it steered into Dallas territory and I totally lost interest.

It was a big cultural thing in the States though.
"Look here honey .There's actual yellow people in the World.And you ain't going believe this but they're actually different than us.
Lord o' mercy do wonders never cease.
Now pass me my Bud and my gun ,I'm going fer a drive"

clocker
11-13-2009, 04:10 PM
From the hey-day of the miniseries when TV was still the primary conveyor of entertainment to the masses.In a land where Richard Chamberlain was the unquestioned God( that last statement alone should tell you all you need to know about the level to expect.Besides there is a aura emitted by Gay actors that never allow them to be convincing heterosexual romantic leads) .
Chamberlain moved on to another huge miniseries success- The Thorn Birds (which I've never seen)- and dominated the no-man's land between "regular TV" and movies.
At that time, real movie stars refused to debase themselves by appearing on television...Sean Connery turned down the part of Blackthorne for this very reason. This aversion limited the talent available to producers considerably.

.I have recollections of the early scene of the torture/execution of Blackthorne's crew being deeply affecting .After that it steered into Dallas territory and I totally lost interest.
There were several "groundbreaking" scenes of violence and sexuality, especially in the very first episode, but none of them would seem like much today.
It was indeed, a different time and the impact of Shogun must be viewed through the cultural lens of the day, not judged by current standards.

It was a big cultural thing in the States though.
"Look here honey .There's actual yellow people in the World.And you ain't going believe this but they're actually different than us.
Lord o' mercy do wonders never cease.
Now pass me my Bud and my gun ,I'm going fer a drive"
I realize you're going for broad humor here but the sweeping generalization is beneath you.
Many of us Merkins don't care for Budweiser.

brightsid
11-13-2009, 07:24 PM
And then I remember him again as Jason Bourne but thanks God I was teenager.

Seriously there were good series back then also. For example my favorite M.A.S.H or even miniseries like Roots.At least that's how I remember them

IdolEyes787
11-13-2009, 08:55 PM
You're one up on me brightsid I had totally forgotten that there was ever a Bourne TV movie.
Just as well the novel doesn't hold a candle to the films.

God now you've done it as I can't stop thinking about King Solomon's Mines now.It was literally one of the worst movies that I've ever seen.
If nothing else Richard certainly had a gift for taking a piece of pulp literature and making it even worse.

brightsid
11-13-2009, 09:35 PM
Do you remember the sequel?
Lost City of Gold it was even worse :P