PDA

View Full Version : AMD Phenom II Breaks 7GHz Barrier

Darth Sushi
11-14-2009, 05:01 AM
AMD Phenom II Breaks 7GHz Barrier
by Devin Coldewey on November 13, 2009

"
z6Hf6d404QY

A while back I went to a fun overclocking event held by AMD, where there was a lot of vapor, some exploding burritos, and some overclocking that got tantalizingly close to 7GHz. It was just an arbitrary number, and they broke a bunch of other records, but they couldn’t quite hit that last target. But a few months and I can only guess how much liquid helium later, they nailed it.

http://www.crunchgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/7ghz.jpg "

:source: Source: http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/11/13/amd-breaks-7ghz-barrier-with-liquid-helium-and-nu-metal/

S!X
11-14-2009, 05:11 AM
That's friggin wicked!

iLOVENZB
11-14-2009, 05:23 AM
Need for Speed :P.

megabyteme
11-14-2009, 05:24 AM
Fast is always awesome!

iLOVENZB
11-14-2009, 06:17 AM
Can't wait to see how Intel is going to keep up with the Joneses.

megabyteme
11-14-2009, 07:07 AM
The Jones' just got 1.25 Billion dollars from their "neighbors". hahahaha

brilman
11-14-2009, 10:35 AM
Not only is it fast but at can heat your house at the same time.
on a side note: sorry mom I didn't mean to make that black-hole.....

thats kool :01:

Snee
11-14-2009, 10:51 AM
Bet that can't run prime 95 for shit.

Sporkk
11-14-2009, 11:22 AM
amd setups seem to not last as long as a intel from what I've experienced. Fast and fairly priced but they haven't been reliable for me. I'm sure someones experiences could go the other way also.

Hairbautt
11-14-2009, 03:15 PM
I wanna see OCCT results with RealTemp running.

Cabalo
11-14-2009, 04:44 PM
amd setups seem to not last as long as a intel from what I've experienced. Fast and fairly priced but they haven't been reliable for me. I'm sure someones experiences could go the other way also.
mine do. All my previous AMD builds were rock solid.
Good old times with my DFI board and a socket 939 dual core opteron.

Detale
11-14-2009, 06:24 PM
AMD used to be the shit but that hasn't been since the 939 was used (2005 I think) so sure they may have the high score now, still they suck :P They don't say how long it was run or if it was any where close to stable at all. Not to mention they used liquid helium so not only did they break a record but they all spoke funny the entire time.:ermm:

clocker
11-14-2009, 09:46 PM
Bet that can't run prime 95 for shit.
Of course it can't.
These sort of rigs are the drag racers of the PC world...they only have to POST and run 3D Mark, then they are free to die having given their all.

I think it's a very weird and insular "sport" but to each his own, I suppose.

Snee
11-16-2009, 07:28 PM
AMD used to be the shit but that hasn't been since the 939 was used (2005 I think) so sure they may have the high score now, still they suck :P

I'm gonna have to disagree here. For someone on a tight budget an amd can still be great. When I got my i7 920, it actually cost more than the top of the line Phenom II BE, and not only does a BE have a completely unlocked multiplier (as opposed to the downwards only one on the 920) by default, but it also performs around the same, sometimes better, in a fair bit of games, iirc. And add to that a shitload of cheap but good mobos, and the option of using an am2+ mobo with your old ddr2 and whatnot, and you got yourself a fairly decent product, as long as you don't need to be able to run a lot of multithreaded stuff. Intel only recently caught up in the budget segment with the 1156 socket, imo. The 775 socket don't really provide any sort of upgrade path worth pursuing, and hasn't for a while, now.

I'm seriously considering getting a tri-core on a lanparty jr in some matx box, possibly a sugo or an nzxt rogue, to have next to my tv. I could put my 5770s in there when I get tired of them.

In short, I don't think amds suck atm.

kooltilldend
11-17-2009, 11:59 AM
boom boom booooooooooooommmmmmm

Detale
11-17-2009, 05:35 PM
AMD used to be the shit but that hasn't been since the 939 was used (2005 I think) so sure they may have the high score now, still they suck :P

I'm gonna have to disagree here. For someone on a tight budget an amd can still be great. When I got my i7 920, it actually cost more than the top of the line Phenom II BE, and not only does a BE have a completely unlocked multiplier (as opposed to the downwards only one on the 920) by default, but it also performs around the same, sometimes better, in a fair bit of games, iirc. And add to that a shitload of cheap but good mobos, and the option of using an am2+ mobo with your old ddr2 and whatnot, and you got yourself a fairly decent product, as long as you don't need to be able to run a lot of multithreaded stuff. Intel only recently caught up in the budget segment with the 1156 socket, imo. The 775 socket don't really provide any sort of upgrade path worth pursuing, and hasn't for a while, now.

I'm seriously considering getting a tri-core on a lanparty jr in some matx box, possibly a sugo or an nzxt rogue, to have next to my tv. I could put my 5770s in there when I get tired of them.

In short, I don't think amds suck atm.

Fair enough Snee, I was just talking shit :P A point though, if they're doing so well why did they need a "bailout" from intel?

Snee
11-17-2009, 06:47 PM
I thought intel got sued for abusing their market position and possible patent infringement or something :idunno:

And they got away fairly cheap too, I reckon :dabs:

Tv Controls you
11-21-2009, 05:50 PM
lol could you picture running one of those in your house liquid helium lol.

Killzone08085

3RA1N1AC
11-22-2009, 06:19 AM
I thought intel got sued for abusing their market position and possible patent infringement or something :idunno:

And they got away fairly cheap too, I reckon :dabs:
the two companies both had patent infringement charges against each other. intel offered to settle out of court in exchange for having all charges dropped on both sides. of course that doesn't prove intel's guilt in the dispute, but it seems to indicate that AMD probably had a good chance to win in court. you don't buy your way out of a lawsuit if you're 100% sure that you're right.