PDA

View Full Version : Locked Threads

lynx
10-10-2003, 09:37 PM
I for one am getting sick and tired of threads being closed for no good reason. I am also fed up of seeing that "PM a mod or an administrator". The closing of threads, which is effectively criticism of members, is being done publicly, can we not expect the mods to have the decency to expect public criticism too?

I'm not talking about public flames etc, but reasoned discussion where other members can give their opinions, which is not possible if it is all done in secret.

Cygnuz-Y
10-10-2003, 09:39 PM
ME :angry:

J'Pol
10-10-2003, 09:40 PM
Would it suit everyone if the mod explained. i.e. the last post was the mod.

Closed - Excessive Flaming

Closed - Excessive Profanity

Closed - Excessive Rangers Supporting

Closed - Mod has PMS

Closed - I Just Don't Like You

Closed - For Repair

lynx
10-10-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by JPaul@10 October 2003 - 21:40

Closed - Mod has PMS

Closed - For Repair
It would certainly help, but I'm not sure it always fit's the bill. But i suppose if they were to give a reason it might make them think about what their reason really was.

thewizeard
10-10-2003, 09:45 PM
Maybe first a poll on whether the rules should be changed. We accepted these rules on becoming a member.

J'Pol
10-10-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by nigel123@10 October 2003 - 22:45
Maybe first a poll on whether the rules should be changed. We accepted these rules on becoming a member.
Don't tell anyone, but I have never read them. Shhhh

thewizeard
10-10-2003, 09:49 PM
:o My lips are sealed! :lol:

lynx
10-10-2003, 09:51 PM
Surely one of the first rules should be to treat each other with courtesy.

PS, I haven't read them either.

DanB
10-10-2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by JPaul@10 October 2003 - 22:40

Closed - Mod has PMS

Closed - For Repair
in principal i agree it could be a good idea

thewizeard
10-10-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by lynx@10 October 2003 - 22:51
Surely one of the first rules should be to treat each other with courtesy.

I agree with you here Lynx.

lynx
10-10-2003, 09:58 PM
Anyway, I've said my piece for now, I'm going down the pub for a bottle of red.http://members.shaw.ca/wenpigsfly/smileys/wine.gif

MetroStars
10-10-2003, 10:07 PM
i agree 2

NikkiD
10-10-2003, 10:12 PM
When it comes to closing threads, I usually do offer an explanation as to why, unless it is very clearly obvious to everyone.

I have no problem answering to anything I've ever done on this board.

I also have no problem with mod actions being criticised. As long as it is done constructively and politely, and not "what asshole closed my post?".

Sometimes things are kept to PM to avoid embarrassment of members, it doesn't always have to be done publicly.

I've made this a poll. Hopefully you guys can offer suggestions as well as to how this could be handled differently.

J'Pol
10-10-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by NikkiD@10 October 2003 - 23:12

I have no problem answering to anything I've ever done on this board.

Why did you censor those photos.

NikkiD
10-10-2003, 10:21 PM
Which photos?

JONNO_CELEBS
10-10-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by JPaul+10 October 2003 - 22:18--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JPaul @ 10 October 2003 - 22:18)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-NikkiD@10 October 2003 - 23:12

I have no problem answering to anything I&#39;ve ever done on this board.

Why did you censor those photos. [/b][/quote]
I&#39;ve never seen any censored photos of her :unsure: :P

Ok trying not to hijack this thread to, here&#39;s my input :rolleyes: Yeah thanks guys <_<

Bottom line really is, if a mod see&#39;s a thread to be offensive in some way or pointless to the extreme (like most of mine lol) or whatever, they close it&#33;

They are moderators and have the power to close and edit because the Admins trust their judgment to do this. Yes sometimes we dissagree with the descision but how many of you agreed with your headmaster at school for giving you lines or detention?.......They are human and have a job to do, they have to make the descision, in order to keep the board civil and flowing :)

So having said that, if I start flamming and stuff, ...do I get a pm from you Nikki? :D

Sorry, I could&#39;nt be serious for too long :lol: :lol:

Down with mods.......down with mods.........Uh ohhttp://hometown.aol.co.uk/Cjcooljonno/eekout.gif

Jonno B)

J'Pol
10-10-2003, 10:36 PM
You think an internet forum mod is a job which is analagous with a school Head Teacher.

What a particularly singular and straightforward view you have on life mate.

JONNO_CELEBS
10-10-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by JPaul@10 October 2003 - 22:36
You think an internet forum mod is a job which is analagous with a school Head Teacher.

What a particularly singular and straightforward view you have on life mate.
You just trying to confuse me <_<

No m8, I simply meant that when you used to get bollocked at school you never agreed with it, you were always inocent right......I was :rolleyes: It&#39;s the same here, the teachers had to make a descision, some would have handle a particular situation differently as the various mods would handle things differently here.

SEX&#33;&#33; :D

Jonno B)

J'Pol
10-10-2003, 10:50 PM
There&#39;s a bright golden haze on the meadow
There&#39;s a bright golden haze on the meadow
The corn is as high as an elephant&#39;s eye
An&#39; it looks like it&#39;s climbin&#39; clear up to the sky

Oh, what a beautiful mornin&#39;
Oh, what a beautiful day
I got a beautiful feelin&#39;
Ev&#39;rything&#39;s goin&#39; my way

All the cattle are standin&#39; like statues
All the cattle are standin&#39; like statues
They don&#39;t turn their heads as they see me ride by
But a little brown mav&#39;rick is winkin&#39; her eye

Oh, what a beautiful day

All the sounds of the earth are like music
All the sounds of the earth are like music
The breeze is so busy it don&#39;t miss a tree
And a ol&#39; weepin&#39; willer is laughin&#39; at me

Oh, what a beautiful day
Oh, what a beautiful day

huuramis
10-10-2003, 10:52 PM
my other thread just got locked.

how gay :ph34r:

fuck you cunt&#33;

JONNO_CELEBS
10-10-2003, 10:53 PM
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/Cjcooljonno/Js.gifhttp://hometown.aol.co.uk/Cjcooljonno/Js.gifhttp://hometown.aol.co.uk/Cjcooljonno/Js.gifhttp://hometown.aol.co.uk/Cjcooljonno/Js.gifhttp://hometown.aol.co.uk/Cjcooljonno/Js.gifhttp://hometown.aol.co.uk/Cjcooljonno/Js.gif

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/Cjcooljonno/blowup.gif

Jonno B)

thewizeard
10-10-2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by huuramis@10 October 2003 - 23:52

how gay :ph34r:

fuck you cunt&#33;
If you use language like that, then it does not surprise me.

pol
10-10-2003, 11:02 PM
you forgot something from the other one, humourless..

http://www.uploadit.org/files/101003-humerous.jpg

HeavyMetalParkingLot
10-10-2003, 11:02 PM
2. There will be no excessive use of profanity. Please keep all foul language to a minimum.

kind of odd every time i see a locked thread your name is part of it........i wonder why....

Busyman
10-10-2003, 11:06 PM
It is a little weird. One of mine was closed for racial, ethnic, or discriminatory reasons (that&#39;s what Lamsey said), when I&#39;ve seen far worse left untouched. And it was a joking thread.

People are inheritely evil; it&#39;s just easier for most folk
Men tell what happened
Women tell how they felt about what happened
Folks that drive slow and careful are the ones that really cause traffic jams so.....
Fast drivers like me get into wrecks with slow drivers and get blamed for it&nbsp;
For women size does matter but......
If your&#39;re too big they will tell you, "That SHIT HURTS"&nbsp;
If you like your woman to play with your ass YOUR&#39;RE GAY&nbsp; (sorry go look for a guy, do not pass go, do not collect &#036;200)
If you are rich in America and want to keep most of your money vote Republican
Animal rights activists are idiots (if it comes down to me or your dog, your dog is roadkill)

I&#39;m on a rant here "I&#39;ll be back" like the Governator.

Is anyone actually offended by this. I could have taken off the thing about animal rights activists but.......exactly what is "offensive".

NikkiD
10-10-2003, 11:10 PM
See? This is exactly why threads get closed&#33;

This was meant to be a serious discussion with suggestions on how you, the members think we should handle the situation.

Instead, we get this:

Originally posted by huuramis

how gay&nbsp;

fuck you cunt&#33;

Normally I would just delete the offending post from the topic, but I&#39;m leaving it in, to detail my point exactly.

Smooch
10-10-2003, 11:20 PM
But you must remember children can&#39;t help acting like children... like in huuramis&#39;s case.

JONNO_CELEBS
10-10-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by NikkiD+10 October 2003 - 23:10--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (NikkiD @ 10 October 2003 - 23:10)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> See? This is exactly why threads get closed&#33;

This was meant to be a serious discussion with suggestions on how you, the members think we should handle the situation.

Instead, we get this:

<!--QuoteBegin-huuramis

how gay

fuck you cunt&#33;

Normally I would just delete the offending post from the topic, but I&#39;m leaving it in, to detail my point exactly. [/b][/quote]
Now THAT&#33;&#33; Is how a mod should kick asshttp://hometown.aol.co.uk/Cjcooljonno/rock.gif

@huuramis.........The space is a pause for a joke.......Or to rephrase that,

The Space is a pause for a huuramis :P :lol: :lol:

Jonno B)

NikkiD
10-10-2003, 11:27 PM
JPaul - again, which pictures are you talking about? I&#39;ve only ever removed a couple of pictures from the board? :rolleyes:

Adster
10-10-2003, 11:29 PM
so thjey threw a serious thread in the lounge? :huh:

anyway I would prefer if a thread got closed that the mod explained why it was also stop the memebr from posting another thread ":who closed my psots and why" 2 seconds later.

Mods have powers and sometimes they can use to to their own power of arragance

Lamsey
10-10-2003, 11:49 PM
Sorry, I&#39;m confused.

Where in the rule

11. Complaints concerning moderators or their actions may be discussed with that moderator or brought to the attention of an administrator via PM.
does it say that members have free rein to criticise and undermine the moderation team, while adhering to their own agendas?

The rule is there because that&#39;s the way the forum administrators want to do things. If you want to make your views known on this matter, send a message to Paul or VB.

We will continue to work as we always have done - enforcing the rules of the board.

And if someone could point me to a thread where I&#39;ve locked it without the reason being obvious I&#39;d be grateful.

nikita69
10-10-2003, 11:56 PM
NO VOTE - CHOICE NOT PROVIDED

Lamsey&#39;s point is good enough for me.

DarthInsinuate
10-11-2003, 12:25 AM
do mods discuss matters between themselves if there is a controversial moderation?

Lamsey
10-11-2003, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by DarthInsinuate@11 October 2003 - 00:25
do mods discuss matters between themselves if there is a controversial moderation?
Of course&#33;

LeGoMyFnLeg
10-11-2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Lamsey@10 October 2003 - 23:49
Sorry, I&#39;m confused.

Where in the rule
does it say that members have free rein to criticise and undermine the moderation team, while adhering to their own agendas?

@Lamsey
And what agenda would that be?
The right to use a forum for the purpose it was designed for?
The right to ask a question and have it answered without arrogance and attitude?
The right to offer opinions on subjects posted?

See here you go attacking members again. It&#39;s always the members who are wrong it seems. "kill the scum" ? Or just lock thier threads. :blink:

@ NikkiD, very sensible approach on this one. Thank you&#33; :)

Lamsey
10-11-2003, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by LeGoMyFnLeg+11 October 2003 - 00:32--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LeGoMyFnLeg @ 11 October 2003 - 00:32)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Lamsey@10 October 2003 - 23:49
Sorry, I&#39;m confused.

Where in the rule

@Lamsey
And what agenda would that be? [/b][/quote]
You know fine well what agenda I&#39;m talking about.

It&#39;s petty, it really is.

DanB
10-11-2003, 12:36 AM
I&#39;m confused about the agenda. Is there an agenda?

LeGoMyFnLeg
10-11-2003, 12:37 AM
Let me guess? Accountability? Open government? Human rights?

There are so many. :)

Mivaro
10-11-2003, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Lamsey@11 October 2003 - 00:49
And if someone could point me to a thread where I&#39;ve locked it without the reason being obvious I&#39;d be grateful.
For most of us it&#39;s obvious.....don&#39;t forget some members aren&#39;t too bright though :D

lynx
10-11-2003, 10:14 AM
NikkiD, thanks for the poll, and for not locking this thread when some idiots started flaming after I specifically asked for that not to happen.

I think that in most cases it is obvious why a thread shoud be closed, but there are occasions where it appears to be because the mod simply doesn&#39;t like the subject matter. When this happens, it is hardly surprising that the person who&#39;s thread is closed is upset, having had what is effectively a public rebuke. And to summarily close a follow up thread with the rule 11 clause is in itself inflammatory.

Yes, the administrators provide and run the forum, and I&#39;m sure we are all very grateful to them for doing so. And, by and large, the mods do a very good job in what can sometimes be difficult circumstances, and I&#39;m sure we are all grateful to them too. But the forum is nothing without the members, and to push them aside with "because I said so" type remarks will drive away good members, while thick skinned idiots will continue in their usual way, and the whole atmosphere of the forum starts on a downward slide.

I think JPaul&#39;s idea of putting the reason for closing a thread is a good one, even where the reason is obvious, or appears to be. If this is done every time, there can be no accusations of "closed for no reason", althougn that is no guarantee that the reason will always seem appropriate. Remember that what appears to be a bit of fun to one member can be insulting to another, but that also works the other way round, so the reason for locking a thread may not be obvious to everyone, it can depend on how you have read the posts in the first place.

I&#39;ve tried to be objective in this thread, and I hope it is seen in the manner it is intended, namely as an attempt to improve the forum, not as a dig at the mods.

Adster
10-11-2003, 11:31 AM
ye I will sya this Lamesy always states why he locks a thread and the reason but SOME mods (not metnioning any names) do

J'Pol
10-11-2003, 11:43 AM
Lamsey

If you thought a law was unfair, would you speak out against it. Would you walk in a demonstration.

If you were told you were not allowed to speak, because the Law is the Law and common citizens are not allowed to question it, how would you feel.

Would you live in an oppresive dictatorship, where the subjects were not allowed to even question that which they saw as being wrong.

There have been many bad Laws, which have been changed because the people made it clear they ....

Lamsey
10-11-2003, 11:47 AM
You want to demonstrate, you think there is a problem?

Fine. There are mechanisms in place to allow that.

Send Paul or VB a PM.

If you believe there is an issue with the rules, do the same.

I&#39;m just upholding the rules until I am told otherwise.

Adster
10-11-2003, 11:53 AM
Heres an interestign example In musicworld Gutter made a thread "what music you listenin gtoo now"

I stated in the thread it would be locked within a mater of minutes even though its music related, however there are already several threads simular to that particular thread I now come to the board 7 hrs later it has been locked without an explanation.. was that becasue I stated the ovious?? Or the mod was hiding becasue of my statement and didn&#39;t want to say the reason becasue I ahd already said :"this is Music related"

MagicNakor
10-11-2003, 12:28 PM
Or it could be because that thread in particular usually ends up as spam for a group of people. ;)

:ninja:

lynx
10-11-2003, 12:33 PM
Adster, I think you&#39;ve said it yourself, "I stated the ovious".
Neverless, a simple one-liner would have prevented you feeling the need to comment on it.

Lamsey, it was never my intention that this should be a personal attack on you, it was simply that your closures yesterday, on top of many others that I have seen recently, prompted me to think it was time to speak out.

The intention is not to undermine the authority of the mods, if anything it is exactly the opposite. People are less likely to be upset with a thread being closed if there is a reason given, and if they are not upset there are going to be less of the "Why was my thread closed" rants which often ensue. Surely that makes life easier for all concerned?
And fewer anti-mod postings surely means the mods are respected more?

J'Pol
10-11-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Lamsey@11 October 2003 - 12:47

Why am I hearing the word Nuremberg at the back of my head, Officer.

I don&#39;t have a problem with anyone closing or locking topics, never said I did. Sometimes I am at a loss to understand why it is done, but these judgments are subjective. Most of the threads are mindless drivel anyway as far as I am concerned, however to each their own.

I just don&#39;t appreciate it that, when someone asks a question he is told, rules is rules. Effectively if you don&#39;t like them tough luck.

That&#39;s a cop out and well you know it. Pardon the pun again Officer.

The "proper" way to change laws is to Lobby your MP, perhaps write to the appropriate Minister etc. However sometimes people wish to make a public stand and have a meeting of protest. That is their right and as long as it is non-violent then it&#39;s a good and healthy thing to do.

I see this as being wholly analogous, it&#39;s just a matter of scale. Any erosion of civil liberty is an erosion of civil liberty.

Snee
10-11-2003, 01:07 PM
I&#39;m undecided so I won&#39;t vote, but for what it&#39;s worth I don&#39;t believe that this should scare the mods off from doing their work, most of the time it&#39;s pretty much crystal clear why something is done IMO(though not all of the time), and that there&#39;s a reason why it&#39;s done.

Edit: to clear things up.

MagicNakor
10-11-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by JPaul+11 October 2003 - 13:50--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JPaul @ 11 October 2003 - 13:50)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Lamsey@11 October 2003 - 12:47

Why am I hearing the word Nuremberg at the back of my head, Officer... [/b][/quote]
I hardly think Lamsey is like Hess, JPaul.

That&#39;s a bit h4rsh.

J'Pol
10-11-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by MagicNakor+11 October 2003 - 14:31--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MagicNakor @ 11 October 2003 - 14:31)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by JPaul@11 October 2003 - 13:50
<!--QuoteBegin-Lamsey@11 October 2003 - 12:47

Why am I hearing the word Nuremberg at the back of my head, Officer...

That&#39;s a bit h4rsh.

:ninja: [/b][/quote]
Same defence, it&#39;s all just a matter of scale.

Infested Cats
10-11-2003, 04:15 PM
I&#39;ve decided to add a few words:

In rule #1, it states: Posts may be deleted for any reasons the administrators and moderators deem reasonable.
Perhaps, what a moderator deems "reasonable" sometimes doesn&#39;t fit our definition of reasonable.

Also, I disagree with rule #11: Complaints concerning moderators or their actions may be discussed with that moderator or brought to the attention of an administrator via PM.

One definition of &#39;forum&#39; (from Dictionary.com): A public meeting or presentation involving a discussion usually among "experts" and often including audience participation. (Note: I added quotation marks to &#39;experts.&#39;)

Isn&#39;t the whole point of a forum that everyone is able to present and discuss different points of view openly?... Free expression. But, what&#39;s the point of a forum if it&#39;s only going to include people who say what you want to hear? Censorship completely defeats the point of a forum.

NikkiD
10-11-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by lynx@11 October 2003 - 05:14
I think that in most cases it is obvious why a thread shoud be closed, but there are occasions where it appears to be because the mod simply doesn&#39;t like the subject matter. When this happens, it is hardly surprising that the person who&#39;s thread is closed is upset, having had what is effectively a public rebuke. And to summarily close a follow up thread with the rule 11 clause is in itself inflammatory.

I&#39;d like to address this statement quickly - in some cases, yes it is a public rebuke of the member. However, 9 times out of 10, the reason for locking a thread is not because of the person who started it. A thread can be closed because it has gotten way off topic or has become a &#39;flame fest&#39;, which is the case a lot of times. Most times if this is relatively minor, I will prune away the off topic or flame posts, and then possibly post a message to please keep things on topic. If the thread continues in this manner, it will get closed. In cases such as this, it&#39;s not the topic starter who is at fault. And a lot of times, in cases such as this, when a few posts are removed from the thread, we will have a rash of "why was my post deleted?" threads started. It&#39;s a no win situation. What starts out as a good thread goes downhill because of a couple of people and then escalates. Obviously this is the case - or we wouldn&#39;t have threads such as this. People like you, lynx, are able to discuss the matter reasonably in a calm and constructive manner. Unfortunately, this is not the case with everyone.

J'Pol
10-11-2003, 04:40 PM
So whats the problem with putting

or whatever.

That way people know the reason. They may not agree but they do know.

Lamsey
10-11-2003, 05:12 PM
The fact is that there are certain people among us who will be displeased and will make waves no matter what we do.

So it&#39;s a lose-lose situation.

All we can do is use our best judgement, using the forum rules as guidelines for our actions. And that is what we will continue to do.

J'Pol
10-11-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Lamsey@11 October 2003 - 18:12
So it&#39;s a close-close situation.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lamsey
10-11-2003, 05:16 PM
:rolleyes:

soopaman
10-11-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by JPaul+11 October 2003 - 14:49--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JPaul &#064; 11 October 2003 - 14:49)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by MagicNakor@11 October 2003 - 14:31

Originally posted by JPaul@11 October 2003 - 13:50
<!--QuoteBegin-Lamsey@11 October 2003 - 12:47

Why am I hearing the word Nuremberg at the back of my head, Officer...

That&#39;s a bit h4rsh.

Same defence, it&#39;s all just a matter of scale. [/b][/quote]
Quoting Jonno
"No m8, I simply meant that when you used to get bollocked at school you never agreed with it, you were always inocent right......I was :rolleyes:"

Didn&#39;t your family teach you anything about accepting responsibility?? <_<

Infestedcats. You are right about the needless censorship by Mods destroying the point of having a Forum. Why can&#39;t people let off a bit of steam by flaming or arguing?? It&#39;s not like anyone is getting hurt - the internet isn&#39;t real life&#33;&#33; Most members here find the flaming funny, only the overly sensitive "Spam gang" moan about it. I&#39;ve been involved in some great flame wars with people like Adam and Nahan which I actually look forward to replying when I get home from work - it&#39;s a release from REAL life. You all take it too seriously&#33;&#33;

JPaul, liked the Nuremburg comment - very apt&#33;&#33; ;)
:lol: Hilarious. Someone has finally rumbled Sturmbanfuhrer Lamsey&#33;&#33; :lol:

jetje
10-11-2003, 05:52 PM
Well reading all this gives me a sad feeling. This forum is still very liberal imo.
Think with the mod team we have left now locked topics are gonna be far less then we did had few days back ;)

I saw people saying leave topics open and just delete the offensive posts. Think mods are more censoring then as that they just lock a topic but still everyone can read and see for themselves what was going on. ;) Every mod makes his own calculation in how to treat a topic. We don&#39;t close topics easily... never did.
So where is this fuzz all about ? If a topic get locked some people will disagree if we delete posts, some people will disagree, we can&#39;t have a 50.000 people agreeing on things. Simple as that. I can live with the ad on that was made by JPaul, that mods will ad a reason for closing. But for the rest i think that if you really can&#39;t live with a mods decission you just pm an admin&#33;

It is so simple, we mods never can please you all, we just do what we think is best for the board and the majotity of members. No more no less ;)

BTW i think the basic discussion is wrong, we better debate on how we can make a nice discussion board that doesn&#39;t need mods. Some suggestions?&#33; Can we agree with the next rules...

1st you all read forum rules (you to JP) and obbey them
2nd never post double, use foul language, spam, or made a post that is not on topic.
3rd search before you post so no double topics will be here
4th only post if you are 100% sure you post in the right category, and if you have something to ask or answer&#33;

I think we don&#39;t need any moderators then ;)

RealitY
10-12-2003, 09:10 AM
I&#39;ve watched topics locked on poor judgement, not jetje though, and when I found it truly irritating I PM the mod and requested it reopend and why, and it was, simple.

Billy_Dean
10-12-2003, 09:34 AM
Well I&#39;ve had shutdowns I didn&#39;t agree with, one drew this response from jetje ...

No need for this kind of topic my opinion,... ;) check the funfiles for a topic about this...

Also Board rules... there will be no.... etc... go read that&#33;

**closed**

.. very informative&#33;

I then started another thread in response to the censorship, this was also closed by jetje with this remark ...

What if you checked the funnies 1st... there is an exact the same topic just a day earlier started.. we left that one open&#33; So... ;) I should have merged this one in there but i gues yoou then would have start with ... who deleted my topic...? etc..

An explanation should be given every time, without rudeness, or smartarse remarks.

:)

Adster
10-12-2003, 09:38 AM
did I mantion that arragane can be a factor :lol:

well Im not votign on this at all btw its a yes and no sort of thing.

heres the strange thing

why not delete the flame crap instead of locking it??

I noticed once NikkiD did this in musciworld which was good she nicley deleted the flame shit that was in a thread and kept it going and if the same member or members keep the shit up put them on moderation or soemthing&#33;&#33;

Lamsey
10-12-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Adster@12 October 2003 - 09:38
why not delete the flame crap instead of locking it??
Because sometimes it causes "where&#39;d my posts go?" problems and sometimes it raises issues of censorship.

It also causes a serious stress on the server to delete or move posts; merging is the worst.

Closing topics is much less strain on the server, so it&#39;s the best thing to do when the board is under stress - if we do too much, we temporarily take the board offline while it tries to deal with what we&#39;re doing.

Adster
10-12-2003, 11:27 AM
yep ok you have a very good point there Lamsey

thansk for clearign that up

J'Pol
10-12-2003, 12:17 PM
Uhuh, fair point.

However this isn&#39;t really about the logistics of closing threads, it&#39;s about the reasoning.

For the record I think censorship is worse. Just deleting posts or threads is surely a bad thing.

Reeks of book burning to me.

Rat Faced
10-12-2003, 01:06 PM
I agree JPaul, i&#39;d usually much rather close a thread, or throw it into the lounge, than delete posts...even if they are crap and flamebait.

Its not just about the perception of censorship, if posts are deleted...its about the boards history.

Snee
10-12-2003, 03:36 PM
I thought LeGo was a troublemaker, some kid out on a crusade for unspecified reasons. If he&#39;d said who he was I&#39;d been more inclined to listen to him, as it was I thought he wasn&#39;t worth taking seriously.

Edit: Not to say I disliked him, I just didn&#39;t know why he was hellbent on critisizing the mods.

http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=73593