PDA

View Full Version : Modern Warfare 2 blows hole in record book

iLOVENZB
11-19-2009, 09:05 AM
Modern Warfare 2 blows hole in record book
11:53 AM Thursday Nov 19, 2009

NEW YORK - The video game Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is blasting its way into entertainment history.

After hauling in the biggest-ever first-day sales total last week, the game continues to break records.

Activision Blizzard, which released the game Nov. 10, said the latest game in its Call of Duty franchise made $550 ($750) million in worldwide sales during its first five days.

That would put it over the $500 million record set last year by Grand Theft Auto IV, from Take-Two Interactive Software.

Activision didn't say how many units it has shipped. But Lazard Capital Markets analyst Colin Sebastian estimates the company sold between 8.5 million and 9 million copies.

The game is also blowing past records set by other media. After Grand Theft Auto IV comes $394 million in worldwide box office sales brought in by the movie Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince over its first five days, according to Activision.

In its first 24 hours on sale, Modern Warfare 2 made $310 million in North America and the United Kingdom alone, while Grand Theft Auto made that same amount worldwide.

It was also far above the record $155 million opening weekend for the Batman movie The Dark Knight last year.

The game is available to run on Windows-based computers, Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Sony's PlayStation 3.

- AP

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10610307

Cabalo
11-19-2009, 04:49 PM
holy cow... out of curiosity, does anyone know how much was the global cost of producing MW2?

IdolEyes787
11-19-2009, 04:54 PM
According to an LA Times (http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-ct-duty18-2009nov18,0,5238209.story) report the cost of development and marketing combined was as much as $250 million.
Development is said to have cost in the region of $40 to $50 million, but biggest outlay has been on marketing and the cost of producing and distributing the game discs - a massive $200 million.
The investment looks to have paid off though, with Lazard Capital Markets analyst Colin Sebastian estimating the game will eventually go on to sell 15-20 million units, exceeding $1 billion in sales.The game stills sucks though.

simate
11-19-2009, 09:21 PM
Wow, that's some serious cash involved, that doesn't include the dlc either!

IdolEyes787, your a miserable old git lol

Baderous
11-21-2009, 01:12 AM
IdolEyes787, you cant be serious.
Did you played it already? This was one of the best games i EVER played! Damn, was that good!

HMthePM
11-21-2009, 10:53 AM
The game is good but its singleplayer is pretty small. Finished in 6 hours.

SonsOfLiberty
11-21-2009, 04:37 PM
Single player is ok, just seemed like MW all over again, and since I'm not a big multi player it sucks for me, because I like my in depth single player games, eg.. Fallout 3, AC2, etc..... I will say this MW2 is not a 10, unless everyone is giving it a 10 for multi player (which I didn't play) so I cannot comment but for single player, nah, fuck the hype.

Rart
11-25-2009, 04:02 PM
Does anyone know how well the multiplayer component works without dedicated servers? I'm considering finally diving into the COD franchise but I'm reluctant to purchase the came if the "IWnet" matchmaking doesn't work too well.

TrollinThunder
11-25-2009, 04:39 PM
I stopped playing MW2 on PC because after the first day, during which I enjoyed great matchmaking, I was unable to find a match with more than 1 bar. It seems like once the US players jumped in, all of the games were being hosted by some shitty comcast dsl or something based on geography. I had perfect pings to Europe and for that matter, I should have been the host of most games because of my bandwidth. But whatever.

PS3 matchmaking is perfect, probably because there are more players in and around NY. With 250k users playing MP during peak hours, you can find a lot of good matches.

Tv Controls you
11-29-2009, 06:03 PM
Does anyone know how well the multiplayer component works without dedicated servers? I'm considering finally diving into the COD franchise but I'm reluctant to purchase the came if the "IWnet" matchmaking doesn't work too well.

The player with the best connection in the party usually hosts the game, this is selected at random. And as im sure your thinking yes this can lead to cheating as you can manipulate connections if your host.

Although When i play online there is 0 lag.

FireBlade
12-01-2009, 08:07 PM
Thats some serios money,
and considering there was a big boycott thing going on with it
because of the lack of servers.

invitestor
12-02-2009, 10:01 AM
I think it is the best game ever...damn I had problems getting to work...or go to the toilet...:-P