PDA

View Full Version : Batmania

rachit14nov
11-20-2009, 08:26 AM
Hello everyone!

I'm fairly new to this forum, but I've been having a great time! I've participated in only one or two threads so far, but I have been reading quite a few, absorbing all the new theories and ideas that have been raised in discussion. It's fascinating!

That said, I keep my own little "nerd"-blog over on LJ (you can find the link in my signature, if you're curious), and have become the sort of Bat-expert, if you will, over on the website that I write for. I review comics and open discussion concerning what's on the shelves. I do, however, have a tendency to rant. It's all very tongue-in-cheek, and not intended to be taken very seriously. I do pride myself on raising valid points, though, even in the midst of a- WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!- diatribe!

So, I was hoping that a few of you guys could help me out!

Eventually, I intend on writing an article (essay?) concerning Catwoman, and how her latest run of comics didn't even manage to claw its way up into the hundreds before it crashed and burned. I'm not going to post any of my opinions just yet, because I'm really curious to hear yours.

What do you think went wrong? Was Helena Bradley the final straw? Did you enjoy reading about Selina's trials and tribulations as a mother? Or did you find yourself rolling your eyes and shaking your heads? Or, with all that said, did you enjoy the entire run? If so, why? If not, how come?

Thank-you so much ahead of time for checking out this thread! Catwoman is my favourite character, no doubt, and I intend on writing an article that doesn't merely state what DC did wrong, but also suggests what they could have done better, or at the very least, differently. Hopefully so that the next time Catwoman (or any other female lead) earns her own title (in a few decades or so), the same mistakes can be avoided.

Thanks again, everyone!

I hope the good Captain Jim approves of this Thread and idea.

Lets keep tabs on every issue that Dick Grayson as Batman is in and give some brief details of these issues without spoiling too much for new readers.

It could also be used to count how many issues Dick Grayson builds up in his stint as BATMAN which I think would be pretty cool. How many issues will he last as Batman? Well we are about to find out!

Also. The THREAD can be re-edited at any time and updated as we go along. Either by updating the original post or just updating it as we go along. COULD WE GET A STICKY JIM?

1) Batman #676-- On the first page the New Batman Dick Grayson and the new Robin Damian Wayne can be seen. This appears to be a flash forward. As it takes place 6 months after the events of RIP
2) Battle for the cowl #3--- The last page is Dick Grayson as Batman. He is clearly narrating the story/issue.
3) Gotham Gazette: Batman Alive?#1 Dick grayson and Damian Wayne appear on the last page in what looks like to be an HOMAGE to the Dark Knight Returns storyline by frank miller. They are jumping through the air.
4) Batman and Robin #1--Dick's first issue out on patrol as the new BATMAN with the new ROBIN(Damian wayne)
5) Batman #687--- Judd winnick's first issue with the solo dick grayson as Batman. He really only puts on the suit towards the end. Last page pose again.
6) Red Robin #1-Dick appears in a flashback as the new batman /As the new Batman in the cave talking to Tim drake and Damian wayne.
7) Booster Gold#21-- The Time stealing villain the BLACK BEETLE is trying to wipe out the creation and existence of the new BATMAN Dick Grayson,who is in this issue. Booster Gold must go back in time to stop the villain from succeeding. Story is ongoing.
8) Streets of Gotham #1---The New Batman and Robin debut in this new series. The Minor batman villain firefly makes his play for gotham by burning it up. Batman and robin must stop him. Hush also makes an appearance and a new character abuse is in it also.
9) Detective comics #855---Could be Dick or Bruce. Not confirmed.
10)Batman and Robin #2-- Dick and Damien fight the circus of strange.
11) Batman #688-- Part 1 of Long shadows. Two face and penguin are at odds with the new batman.
12) Batman: Streets of Gotham #2--Batman and Robin fight Firefly, Black Mask and Mr Zsasz. Hush escapes. Ra's al ghul is in the issue too.
13)Titans #15 -Garth visits Dick in the new Bat HQ.
14) Batman #689--Part 2 of Long shadows. Batman continues his campaign against the penguin. The soldier and clayface is sent to fight him. Two face is in this issue as well.
15) Batman: Blackest Night #1--Batman and Robin meet deadman. Black lanterns rise--Dead batman villains like magpie and scarface ect ect ect.
16) Batgirl #1 Batman makes an appearance with a darker costume. Instead of the blue and grey it's black and grey. Looks so much better
17) Streets of Gotham #3---The Hush posing as Bruce wayne storyline continues.
18) Batman and Robin #3--Dick and Damian defeat Professor Pgy. The Red Hood shows up.
19) Gotham City sirens #3--The New Batman shows up to talk to the Riddler about a case.
20) Batman #690--Part 3 of long shadows--Batman fights clayface and the soldier and two face makes his move.
21)Red Robin #4--Dick shows up to talk sense into Red Robin(Tim drake) .They fight briefly and then tim leaves.
22) Batman: Blackest night #2--Dick, Damian and Tim team up with deadman to continue the fight against the black lanterns. Mainly dead batman/robin villains as black lanterns.
23) Batman and Robin #4-Revenge of the Red hood Part 1-The New team of Batman and Robin meet and confront the New vigilante duo of the Red Hood and Scarlet.
24) Streets of Gotham #4-- Batman and Robin track down the BROKER and Mr zsasz begins to establish himself in Gotham. Hush and Warren *The Great white shark* White make appearances.
25) Vigilante #10-- The New Batman and the new Vigilante meet and have a showdown. Note: Dick Grayson already met the new Vigilante in new york in his Nightwing Role.
26) Batman and Robin #5--The Dymanic duo face off against the Red Hood and Scarlet! New Villain Flamingo shows up.
27) Batman Annual #27-- Batman and Robin +Azreal. This annual is part of the story DC are using to launch the new Azreal title.
28) Blackest Night: Batman #3-- Batman and Robin and Red Robin conclude their fight against the Black lanterns (For now).
29) Batman #691- Judd winick's first arc concludes. Batman and Two face square off.
30) Booster Gold #25- Booster and Dick Grayson shoot the breeze and Booster gives the new batman a brief visit to a happy moment in the past with his parents.
31) Azreal #1--Batman shows up to check in on the new Azreal to see if he needs a hand with a case of mysterious murders.
32) Streets of Gotham #5-- He appears in one panel. This issue is mostly a huntress centric one.
33) Batman #692-- Batman begins a new arc looking for the Black mask. The reaper appears and fright from Judd winnick's As the crow flies storyline. Dr Death and Hugo strange appear also. Catwoman and a new theif called kittyhawk makes her debut appearance.

This is the new thread for all questions, advice or opinions on Batman trade collections. It's also here to help people who are complete Batman strangers, or trying to get back in. If you've never read a Batman comic in your life; or if maybe you've read a few and are wondering where to go next; if you're interested in picking up the monthly comics (which are pretty cool right now) or just looking for general recommendations, begin here. And with that...

The twenty best Batman comics for new readers...

Pretty much every Batman fan here was introduced to the character through movies and TV. Then one day we picked up a comic and fell into a deeper, richer, crazier Gotham City with a history stretching back to 1939. Interested? I think you are. But which Batman comics should I read first?

Fortunately there is a standard answer to this question, ask around and you'll see the same four or five comics invariably referred to as the classics; the bedrock of the lore; primers on the continuity; or simply just essential reading when it comes to Batman on the page. The value of these particular comics to new readers is one thing we can pretty much all agree on. It's something we can illustrate as well...

Below is a ranking based on a poll of CBR members: each have submitted their recommendation of five beginner Batman trades based on impact, accessibility, and ability to convert new readers. The selections were given points from one to five and then added to form a table. Consider this the collective advice of many longtime fans. Already read the first four? Great, then consider the next ten in the list or check out the links below for ideas on where to go next. Any questions at all about these books please go ahead and ask in the thread.

The first 36 individual recommendations can be viewed in the original poll thread along with some interesting comments from the posters. The total score for each tpb is displayed, followed by the number of individual votes it received.

So the Man-Bat has recently been in Batman and the Outsiders, Batman/Superman and Streets of Gotham.

Isn't that a job of an editor to say pick another villian or does it really matter?

Do you feel that the current notion that nobody in Gotham or elsewhere thinks that Batman exists should remain or not?

You decide.

Just wondering...if Bruce, all Robins past and present, Damian, and any other males in the Bat-family were suddenly gone (they died, disappeared, quit, or whatever)...would someone else take over the mantle of Batman? And if so, who?
Or would the world just allow the line of Batman to end?

And another scenario: if you won a contest run by DC such that you could choose another character to take over Batman for a year, whom would you pick?

So I picked up the "Face the Face" trade today. Although the ending was disappointing IMO, I really enjoyed seeing the more human Dark Knight detective. This version of Batman wasn't a jerk and actually used his detective skills. This reminded me of the Batman from Strange Apparitions (which I absolutely love) and the O'Neil/Adams stories. So I was wondering what are some more stories where Batman's characterization matches with this version. I already have Strange Apparitions and Batman in the seventies. Thanks.

One overlooked idea is developing Kirk Langstrom's son who was born a Man-Bat and once hid out in the Batcave. Given that in the world of superheroes his appearance would mean nothing, so he'd probably gravitate to them. How long before we get some wacky adventures of Lil' Man Bat fighting the forces of evil while dad and Batman try to keep him from getting hurt?

I'm only half-kidding, 'cause god knows the Bat-verse could use some light-hearted fun and a mutant bat kid is as close as its going to get.http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/marvel_dc/images/d/de/Aaron_Langstrom_%28New_Earth%29_001.jpg

Em yeah, heard about this a while ago. It was supposedly Frank Miller's new batman comic, about batman fighting terrorists, seemed like a pretty weird basis, but I was interested nonetheless. He said it was coming out soon, and he said that back in December, and there hasn't been much other news I've heard since then.
Heard a couple a rumors that it may not even have Batman in it any more.
But I really don't know, so I'm wondering if anyone knows any information about comic, I would like to know what the hell is going on with it.
It better come out soon or it will be in more of a limbo than All star Batman and Robin, which is also by Miller, hmmm I think I see a trend.

PS. If there is a thread like this before I apologize, the search function does not work for me.

iLOVENZB
11-26-2009, 05:41 AM
http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?p=10017597

IrishLuck
12-02-2009, 08:28 PM
Batman has a long history. You have many different incarnations of the character which all lend to the modern version. For someone new to the Batman universe, I wouldn't recommend a single issue as the definitive story. That honor goes to the greatest Batman movie ever made. Batman - Mask of the Phantasm. That is the greatest Batman story ever told.

3RA1N1AC
12-07-2009, 11:21 PM
dick grayson is still around? really? if there's anything that batman fans should have learned by now, it's that the various robins were ultimately unnecessary to the plot. robin did add to the lighthearted campy tone that batman took on for a while... but any time you get back to the basics of batman, time & again robin just becomes an annoying distraction that you can hardly get rid of. grayson should have been permanently shelved a long time ago (nightwing was pretty lame), along with the whole idea of batman requiring a teenaged sidekick, or at least relegated to an alternate universe where it can't burden the batman continuity anymore.

"people are tired of robin? guess he's got to grow up and get his own gig. from now on he'll be nightwing!"

"ok now we got a second robin, this jason todd, and people are tired of him too. let's just wash our hands of this mess and have the joker blow him up with a bomb. the kid stays dead. stick the corpse in that freezer over there along with bucky barnes, and if we have to kill any more robins we'll just stack them on top of bucky and jason."

and so forth. more robins, more teenaged sidekicks that eventually need to be blown up or given new names & spun off into their own comics.