PDA

View Full Version : Candadians Not Affected By The Riaa

cpt_azad
10-12-2003, 01:19 AM
i read this in the province newspaper, it said that canadians cannot be prosecuted by the RIAA :D . in canada, the laws are totally different, here, it applies that copying is okay (not plagarism) but trading is not. let me put it in stupidified form:
if u download music or anything else for that matter from someone, ur basically copying a file from them, not taking the file, so that means that we canadians can't get sued, bcuz we're copying files, not trading. Trading in filesharing terms in Canada means that u burn something on a cd and give it to someone or burn cds and sell them, that is illegal here, but downloading shit aint! i'm so happy today :) :) :) :) :) :) :) . i talked to telus (my adsl provider), they told me that this law is infact true. they knew i was happy, so they warned me not to exceed my bandwidth :lol: . but then again, i wish canada could be a little bit like america, gun laws here are to strict, i wanted an airsoft for my birthday, but i gotta be 19 plus sign a bunch of forms and pay fees :o .

:) :) :)

Shareef
10-12-2003, 01:27 AM
you live in vancouver???
so the means shaw wont be phoning me ???

cpt_azad
10-12-2003, 01:30 AM
yup, unless u exceed ur bandwidth. happened to once, had to pay 50 extra bucks :(

abu_has_the_power
10-12-2003, 02:56 AM
u know if this applies to toronto?

wormless
10-12-2003, 03:01 AM
alberta cus my bro is there?

slammy_dunken
10-12-2003, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by wormless@11 October 2003 - 21:01
alberta cus my bro is there?
I live there too.

Spindulik
10-12-2003, 03:47 AM
Duh! Recording Industry Association of America!

It is not RIAC

Shareef
10-12-2003, 03:57 AM
wat was ur highest speed on telus ???

james_bond_rulez
10-12-2003, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by cpt_azad@12 October 2003 - 01:19
i read this in the province newspaper, it said that canadians cannot be prosecuted by the RIAA :D . in canada, the laws are totally different, here, it applies that copying is okay (not plagarism) but trading is not. let me put it in stupidified form:
if u download music or anything else for that matter from someone, ur basically copying a file from them, not taking the file, so that means that we canadians can't get sued, bcuz we're copying files, not trading. Trading in filesharing terms in Canada means that u burn something on a cd and give it to someone or burn cds and sell them, that is illegal here, but downloading shit aint! i'm so happy today :) :) :) :) :) :) :) . i talked to telus (my adsl provider), they told me that this law is infact true. they knew i was happy, so they warned me not to exceed my bandwidth :lol: . but then again, i wish canada could be a little bit like america, gun laws here are to strict, i wanted an airsoft for my birthday, but i gotta be 19 plus sign a bunch of forms and pay fees :o .

:) :) :)
yeah, someday you walking on the stairs with your gun and you slip and you headshot yourself and fucking die, bitch... :lol:

yeah life&#39;s a bitch <_<

Keikan
10-12-2003, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by cpt_azad@11 October 2003 - 18:30
yup, unless u exceed ur bandwidth. happened to once, had to pay 50 extra bucks :(
How much did you exceed>?

Cypher
10-12-2003, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Spindulik@12 October 2003 - 03:47
Duh&#33; Recording Industry Association of America&#33;

It is not RIAC
I live in Australia can the RIAA sue me here???

cpt_azad
10-12-2003, 09:32 AM
canada an in all of canada, yes, ontario, alberta, etc. i exceeded by 3 gb&#39;s, and i do not know about australia. i&#39;ll look into it, and yes, life is a bitch :o

cpt_azad
10-12-2003, 09:35 AM
oh, ya forgot, about the australia thing: riaa is issuing other countries EXCEPT canada with subpeonas. so i do not know about australia, but i&#39;m pretty sure that ur country has some sort of law about filesharing, or some rule that applies (hint, look for loop or a weak link in the law to use against ur isp if ever caught).

MagicNakor
10-12-2003, 10:25 AM
Recording Industry Association of America.

Notice the America.

No, the RIAA can&#39;t "get" people in Australia.

No, the RIAA can&#39;t "get" people in Canada.

No, the RIAA can&#39;t "get" people in Germany.

The RIAA can only "get" people in the United States of America.

:ninja:

kweer
10-12-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by cpt_azad@11 October 2003 - 20:19
...but then again, i wish canada could be a little bit like america, gun laws here are to strict,&nbsp; i wanted an airsoft for my birthday, but i gotta be 19 plus sign a bunch of forms and pay fees...
What&#39;s wrong with you, man? We live in the great society of Canada and you think we need guns like the americans? That&#39;s bullshit. We&#39;re not going to stoop to their level of aggression. All we need is Love... and a good &#39;ol fashioned baseball bat. And steeltoe boots always seem to come in handy. :-"

cpt_azad
10-13-2003, 01:57 AM
What&#39;s wrong with you, man? We live in the great society of Canada and you think we need guns like the americans? That&#39;s bullshit. We&#39;re not going to stoop to their level of aggression. All we need is Love... and a good &#39;ol fashioned baseball bat. And steeltoe boots always seem to come in handy.&nbsp; :-"

ya, i guess ur right, guns just mean violence. but like i said, i want an airsoft, cuz i like the sport. i plan to join the air force, after getting a bachelors in engineering. i&#39;m only in grade 10, but it&#39;s been my life long dream to become a pilot (notice the name cpt_azad OH :ermm: ), an airline pilot. i know if i go to the states, they&#39;ll harrass me for my skin color, and ESPECIALLY the fact that I look like an arab (which i&#39;m not mind you). i plan to grad high school, go to bcit and take the aeronuatical engineering introduction course, and from there go to a good university that can get me bachelors in aeronautical engineering. from there, go to the RCAF, sign up for 5 years, get some flight hours. then go into the airline industry. but that&#39;s where the problem is, i don&#39;t know of any good universities that teach aeronautical engineering (UofT maybe). so ya, i&#39;m glad i&#39;m canadian and guns, well, frankly i don&#39;t care too much now.

kweer
10-14-2003, 03:10 PM
Grade 10? You have such goals planned&#33; I hope you make it. Me, I fucked things up. Now I&#39;m 24 now and stuck in a deadend job I&#39;ll be working ten years after I die. ;)

krazy_kids_family
10-16-2003, 05:55 PM
Capt Azad (to be)

http://www.landings.com/_landings/pages/schools.html
www.avweb.com may also have a similar list
www.avsig.com is a very popular aviation board.

Embry riddle is one I considered many many years ago. Because you&#39;re not american, and probably because of your heritage, there may be extra hurdles and attention. Being studious and going the extra mile to learn will help overcome peoples fears.

Good Luck

Wizzandabe
10-16-2003, 06:32 PM
Poor bastard that lives next to the RIAA HQ. :P

fr600
10-16-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Wizzandabe@17 October 2003 - 00:32
Poor bastard that lives next to the RIAA HQ. :P

But I think they dream of Kazaa too...