PDA

View Full Version : SceneTorrents password reset confirmation‏?

lol87
11-30-2009, 03:43 PM
Yesterday, I got an email from SCT claiming that I reset my password. I did NOT reset my password, so I find it very bizarre.

Am I the only one who got this email? What is more strange is that this request is made by someone from Romania/Bucharest ( The Romanian IP is shown below ). Was I exposed to attempted hacker attack? Or was it an error?

I’m not good at English, so please bear with it.

The content of the email is listed below:

Someone, hopefully you, requested that the password for the accountassociated with this email address ([email protected]) be reset. The request originated from 188.26.154.170 If you did not do this ignore this email. Please do not reply. Should you wish to confirm this request, please follow this link:

https://www.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxx

After you do this, your password will be reset and emailed backto you. –SceneTorrents

ovisan
11-30-2009, 03:45 PM
same username as here?

Swift
11-30-2009, 03:46 PM
sct does not exist anymore there for this thread is useless

sake
11-30-2009, 03:46 PM
The tracker is over. Strange.

TrollinThunder
11-30-2009, 03:47 PM
That sure sounds like a hack.

Dithersky
11-30-2009, 03:48 PM
sct does not exist anymore there for this thread is useless

it exist in some other universe :lol:

lol87
11-30-2009, 03:49 PM
I got this email yesterday, and yesterday SCT still worked.

@Ovisan: My username on SCT was different.

nosal
11-30-2009, 03:51 PM
Yeah but it doesn't work now so there's no point.

sheriff 01
11-30-2009, 03:53 PM
lol87, i think someone has hacked your account and there now using it on v2.
I really dig the sweet new look they have. :hooray:

lol87
11-30-2009, 05:34 PM
lol at sheriff 01

I fear that this could happen to other former SCT users or it could happen to users on other trackers. I also fear that this could happen on my SCC, TL, Revett, what, TBy and PTM accounts.

I know it is not relevant anymore, but still I'm surprised to see that someone from Romania was trying to hack into my account. What if this happened for several months ago? And I got banned because someone from Romania was trying to cheat? Would it be fair? The staff would assume that I live in Romania and this alone could give them a reason to ban me.

sez
11-30-2009, 05:48 PM
Try googling yourself emails etc,check your other personal accounts,rapidshare etc,also check your other email addresses and see if there has been any other password change requests.If you suspect anything change your passwords beginning with email.

Tokeman
11-30-2009, 05:55 PM
Run virus / malware scanner before changing email passwords, or change them on a different system. Won't do any good to change it if you are infected with something...

lol87
11-30-2009, 09:37 PM
Thanks for your responses. It's not possible to find my email on google. I never had a rapidshare account or other public accounts with this email.

I also scanned my pc for virus with up 2 date KAV, nothing found.

The only thing that I can think of is filelist.ro which has this email registered. I am almost sure that the staff from filelist tried to use my email or password to see if they have had any luck. Luckily my passw on filelist is not identical with the passw on SCT. Anyway, I think that it’s not relevant anymore.
Anyway, I hope that they’ll delete my account on filelist.ro, since I’m not confident with that site.

By the way, SCC, Revett, PTM, TBy and other trackers use a different mail, than the one on filelist.

DubDub
11-30-2009, 09:39 PM
does this even matter anymore.. close the thread....Sct is dead

anon
11-30-2009, 09:41 PM
lol87, even though that'd explain how they have your e-mail and the Romanian IP, I doubt Filelist's staff abused your information like that.

Also, by letting your FL.ro account die, you'll be missing one of the best trackers out there.

TrollinThunder
11-30-2009, 09:46 PM
I am almost sure that the staff from filelist tried to use my email or password to see if they have had any luck.

This happened to me once but my passwords were the same. I got the account back but it was a pain.