PDA

View Full Version : sct pffft..

captive
12-01-2009, 06:53 AM
i realise the first three letters of the topic are a a bit offensive here but it amazes me the fuss in the torrent community over that sites demise.

having been one in the past, now i cant see why i ever bothered, all the seeding back, uploading, ratio issues, donating, banning .... the list could go on and on.

why dont they all just get into NG???

im trying to think of one, but i just cant..

asari
12-01-2009, 07:25 AM
1. BT is free. If I had at least 1MB upload and an ISP who doesn't screw me on speed, I'd still be using torrents.

2. Last week I've downloaded a torrent that was uploaded in 2004. I know stuff gets re-uploaded from time to time on usenet, but not everything.

captive
12-01-2009, 07:36 AM
1. BT is free. If I had at least 1MB upload and an ISP who doesn't screw me on speed, I'd still be using torrents.

2. Last week I've downloaded a torrent that was uploaded in 2004. I know stuff gets re-uploaded from time to time on usenet, but not everything.

1.nothing is free
2.i would love to know how many trackers have torrents that old, not many, very, very few in fact.

some valid reasons would be nice, im not saying there are not small individual things that popup from time to time, for individual people, but more general. :whistling

lee551
12-01-2009, 07:51 AM

1.nothing is free
2.i would love to know how many trackers have torrents that old, not many, very, very few in fact.

some valid reasons would be nice, im not saying there are not small individual things that popup from time to time, for individual people, but more general. :whistling

It's free in the sense that you don't have to pay for a subscription to use it. Granted, I'm liking this free just4today.net thing, but 10 days retention isn't super practical. I understand that to maintain a good ratio you may have to donate, or purchase a seedbox, but you can still get by fine without those things on a variety of sites.

I could never completely abandon bt because I can find old, random movies from 1980 and earlier in a snap in say, TL's Retro section for instance. The issue of retention is really the only drawback of usenet for me. For 0day, it's perfect, for classics, more hit 'n miss and luck.

iLOVENZB
12-01-2009, 07:55 AM
Your epenis is bigger?

UsenetGuy
12-01-2009, 08:13 AM
You have to keep in mind that most of these private torrenters are just kids, with nothing else to do with their time. No matter how many times you tell them about something better, they will not listen and will just stick to torrents. Think about how hard learning usenet can be for the beginner though, torrents are much easier.

I may seem biased, but I used to be "TorrentGuy", i've been on both sides. IMO the main reason is that they are not willing to pay an actual subscription, thinking it will probably rip them off.

One thing that really gets to me about private trackers though is how everyone on them seems to think they are safe because it is "private". Erm, no! If they can get onto it, so can anyone else.

oddcat
12-01-2009, 12:44 PM
I got sick of torrents around about the 2500th time some 13 year old virgin called me a noob. Though in fairness I did find out a lot about usenet through contact with other demonoid (r.i.p. I hope not) users.

TrollinThunder
12-01-2009, 04:24 PM
I use both usenet and torrents. I kind of float back and forth.

The reasons I still use torrents are a) there is a more active community on torrent sites so it gives me something to do online and b) I like to share with said community and my fiber speeds make this effective and fun.

On the other hand, I feel safer using nzbs and I think it is probably better to just turn on my pc, download a film and stop wasting time.

anon
12-01-2009, 05:31 PM

In my case it's the subscription fee - surely nothing is free, but I'm pirating because I can't afford the content, so why add the extra cost of paying the news provider?

dette
12-01-2009, 10:36 PM
I used to use Torrents for YEARS ... I am only 17 so "YEARS" may not mean the same to others but since I first built my first computer with a friend when I was 12, shortly after I found Torrents and used them up until a about a month ago, then I purchased Usenet and am indeed loving it. I feel much safer because I had received 2 different emails from my ISP about a year apart and my dad did NOT like that so I decided I needed something safer and thus I got something safer and faster! Just to feed my anxiety I use SSL to download :).

I use Torrents still to find small programs sometimes or to find music that I cant get on Usenet. Most movies and games I can find on Usenet pretty easily

Just my story ;)

anon
12-01-2009, 10:38 PM
I feel much safer because I had received 2 different emails from my ISP about a year apart and my dad did NOT like that

Which trackers did you use, and what about IP blocking?

buggyfresh
12-01-2009, 11:20 PM

1.nothing is free

Regarding 1. Nothing is free but torrents only cost badnwidth (unless you seedbox) - NGs cost badnwidth plus readers etc so is more expensive (why I haven't tried it yet)

2. Many many trackers have old files - you I think are narrowing your view to 0day scene trackers There are plenty niche trackers eg Karagarga, goem, bitme.org not to mention sites like UG, demonoid and so on that carry very old rare stuff (apps, books, games, FLAC and not just movies) e.g. I doubt i could find Fields Virology 4th edition as easily using NGs .... . Probably only emule has rarer files at times.

And 3. Why don't they/we switch? ATM NGs looks too complex adn not worth the learning curve, especially if oyu are on private trackers where you can request addn get almost any media file you want.

EDIT: as to the crying over sct specifically I kind agree lol. The loss of oink has been remedied adnd sct will be far easier a void to fill.

iLOVENZB
12-02-2009, 04:30 AM
I feel much safer because I had received 2 different emails from my ISP about a year apart and my dad did NOT like that

IP Blocking is nearly completely useless in todays world. People like BREIN aren't stupid enough to use their hq network are they? :lol:

NesteaZen
12-02-2009, 12:15 PM
I can't be bothered with private trackers. Never understood it. Too much of a hassle. TPB's fine. I actually had to google scc few days back :P.

Probably only emule has rarer files at times.
True :). They're still the p2p backbone in my opinion. I seed from time to time there.

1-click hosters are pretty solid too.

edit: Now that I thought of it. Never used Freenet though.

anon
12-02-2009, 04:02 PM
IP Blocking is nearly completely useless in todays world. People like BREIN aren't stupid enough to use their hq network are they? :lol:

Of course IP blocking isn't 100% perfect, but it's better than nothing, and it does block some bad guys.

And yes, there's nothing to stop anti-P2P employees from going to their home and resume "working" from here, for example.

dette
12-03-2009, 04:52 AM

I usually downloaded from BTJunkie. I had a Demonoid account before it went down. IsoHunt sometimes... Mainly BTJunkie cause it basically had just about everything I searched for with all the newer stuff with like 10K+ seeds at a time so it went pretty fast.
I have used VPN's and Blacklists but they make my speed slower (specially VPN's... SO much slower)... Since I can afford $9.99 from Supernews and it makes me safe(at least a hell of a lot more then torrents :D) and and I get much higher speeds (torrents went up to 1000kb/s every now and again but normally stayed around 500kb/s or lower, with Usenet i get 1140kb/s+ constantly) I believe Usenet is a Win, Win, Loose for me (Speed, Safety, Money)

I also still use Torrents for music or obscure things I cant find on Usenet or older then 350 day posts

anon
12-03-2009, 04:36 PM
I usually downloaded from BTJunkie. I had a Demonoid account before it went down. IsoHunt sometimes... Mainly BTJunkie cause it basically had just about everything I searched for with all the newer stuff with like 10K+ seeds at a time so it went pretty fast.

Public torrents, that explains how you got caught. There are anti-P2P organizations monitoring most popular ones.

Also, from "I have used VPNs and blacklists but they make my speed slower" I get you stopped using them because of that?

dette
12-03-2009, 08:28 PM

Public torrents, that explains how you got caught. There are anti-P2P organizations monitoring most popular ones.

Also, from "I have used VPNs and blacklists but they make my speed slower" I get you stopped using them because of that?

Yes that is why.. Well either way Usenet has paid off so far! Speed and security

Got any good private trackers?

anon
12-03-2009, 08:34 PM

SCC, RevTT, TL and IPT are good mainstream trackers. I'd avoid the last two if you're concerned about security due to their size.

UnGodly
12-03-2009, 09:45 PM
Security? wtf planet are you guys on, your not commiting mass murder here bitches

anon
12-03-2009, 09:48 PM
We're talking about not being sent nice letters by anti-P2P companies, or worse.

dette
12-04-2009, 04:04 AM
Security? wtf planet are you guys on, your not commiting mass murder here bitches

But the illegality is a very large point here lol

iLOVENZB
12-04-2009, 07:12 AM

TV, There's literally one uploader they but damn is he fast, Here's the !u of him

[17:58:36] <@TV> USER: -> Blurr (Legendary) (Ratio: 1538.134 | Uploaded: 113.17 TB | Downloaded: 75.34 GB) - http://getregfirst.org/user.php?id=20608

He's a little slow on games but is fucking fast on everything else.

dette
12-04-2009, 07:49 AM

TV, There's literally one uploader they but damn is he fast, Here's the !u of him

[17:58:36] <@TV> USER: -> Blurr (Legendary) (Ratio: 1538.134 | Uploaded: 113.17 TB | Downloaded: 75.34 GB) - http://getregfirst.org/user.php?id=20608

TV??? Link? Haha am I stupid or?

iLOVENZB
12-04-2009, 08:25 AM

TV??? Link? Haha am I stupid or?

Check ya PMs ;).

NesteaZen
12-04-2009, 11:10 AM

But the illegality is a very large point here lol
Well, not necessarily. They just want us to think that. They don't want to move on... we do. So it is kind of a 50/50 situation.

But if I look at it from the New World Order point of view then there is damn sure no globalisation what so ever. There are still dvd region codes and what not.
i.e.? Everyone does whatever he wants.

cinephilia
12-04-2009, 03:26 PM
You have to keep in mind that most of these private torrenters are just kids, with nothing else to do with their time. No matter how many times you tell them about something better, they will not listen and will just stick to torrents. Think about how hard learning usenet can be for the beginner though, torrents are much easier.

I may seem biased, but I used to be "TorrentGuy", i've been on both sides. IMO the main reason is that they are not willing to pay an actual subscription, thinking it will probably rip them off.

One thing that really gets to me about private trackers though is how everyone on them seems to think they are safe because it is "private". Erm, no! If they can get onto it, so can anyone else.
just lol. private trackers are not restricted to 0day crap mister usenet.
although usenet is a great way to get stuff you need, it will never have half of Karagarga's content (this is just an example).

NesteaZen
12-04-2009, 10:50 PM
lol. mister usenet.

LIAR!

edit: Just so that I don't get flamed.
With all the options against payment out there, I kind of feel like I have to download something, because I'm running out of time. But with p2p I don't have to pay attention to it. It's more relaxing.
Except maybe for Usenet access with volume limit, which is kind of neat. Never tried it though.

dette
12-05-2009, 07:52 AM
lol. mister usenet.

LIAR!

With all the options against payment out there, I kind of feel like I have to download something, because I'm running out of time. But with p2p I don't have to pay attention to it. It's more relaxing.
Except maybe for Usenet access with volume limit, which is kind of neat. Never tried it though.

I dont feel like that. I have an unlimited account with per month payment.. From supernews. So i dont feel like that but I have downloaded over 230GB+ since 11/09/2009 :D

whiteboy
12-08-2009, 02:51 AM
lol. mister usenet.

LIAR!

I dont feel like that. I have an unlimited account with per month payment.. From supernews. So i dont feel like that but I have downloaded over 230GB+ since 11/09/2009 :DOh yah :yup: 161gb since 11/23. Loving my new supernews account.

beansis
12-08-2009, 03:23 AM

with p2p, I feel like I have to upload something :mellow:

Rpcry
12-08-2009, 03:32 AM
i realise the first three letters of the topic are a a bit offensive here but it amazes me the fuss in the torrent community over that sites demise.

having been one in the past, now i cant see why i ever bothered, all the seeding back, uploading, ratio issues, donating, banning .... the list could go on and on.

im trying to think of one, but i just cant..

you know, sharing is caring ;), i love to help other to get the files they want for free :D, i like to seed. Also, almost every torrent site have something lovely and valuavle that is called community ;). finaly, you get fast speeds and most of the time faster pre's, and content is free.

and yeah... i miss sct :cry:

ph3nom
12-08-2009, 07:47 AM
after learning about usenet, I feel usenet is better then torrent especially for my case as my internet speed is fast at downloading but very very very slow of uploading due my ISP limit.

I'm a member of couple of private torrents and I have to get seedbox for at least for 2-3 months for a year to keep my ratio up for private torrent like IPT, TL, RevTT.

but i need seedbox every month for private torrent like bitmetv because i'm a huge fan of tv show and the people in there download really fast using rss or irc. so i have to get seedbox and some shared seedbox seller, they use other torrent program like rtorrent or torrentflux so i cant setup rss dling. at the end, i had to get dedicated seed box which is a lot expensive. Shared seedbox sometimes had a lot of downtime and problem also expensive. dedicated seedbox sometime down too and also, scammer problem.

using usenet is a lot cheaper in my case as i only need to pay news server $11/month + lifetime VIP in NZB matrix $10 (different case if you are in newzbin) compare to shared seedbox $25/month or dedicated seedbox $50/month.

In term of speed, I max my speed easily with usenet and I dont need to worry about uploading and also, safety because of SSL. eventhough i never get any letter.

that's my story and conclusion. but I still use torrents for some stuffs that cant be find in usenet. also, usenet has request area.

best
12-08-2009, 08:15 AM
i'm just starting using usenet because i got scam a few time when trying to get seedbox from seller. also, i hate the down part about seedbox and bad customer service and ripped off reseller. lol. sorry for complaining but that's what i think.

NesteaZen
12-08-2009, 11:04 AM
beansis
On private ones I will agree. Public, not so much. Vuze seeds where ever "I'm" needed.

It may not be as instantaneous as hosters, Usenet, ftp ie if you want a movie NOW, unless it's popular, you are out of luck.

And downloading for the sake of downloading, unless your ISP is a cheapskate and you want to "saturate" their line, is not really mine.
My ISP (one of many) had offered 8192/768 kbps and I got 6176/512 kbps.
It is a reseller, but still... And I'm pretty much in the center of Vienna so... I called the first time and asked why I only had 1024 kbps (yes, that much) and after a day or so they told me 6176 is all the main telco reports back. This is what happens if you support the weaker (I also didn't really need a fixed line).
I still haven't called the main telco, ask them if I were to change because my contract expires (it's not) what my max bandwidth would be and see if it really isn't possible or if they play dirty.

But I agree on this. P2P is not really for HD content. You can download this or that film in a week or any other stuff, but on public trackers I'm sure very few people stay to seed, either they move the file somewhere else and it's not anymore in the client (if moved outside of the client) or they dont' have the space, watch it (play the game, etc) then delete it and do not really care if the torrent stays alive. But since I'm on public torrents 24/7 I can tell you: people seed.

And I also agree, seedbox vs usenet. I choose usenet.

oddcat
12-08-2009, 11:42 AM
This seems to be a common theme. After using private trackers and donating occasionally (because of my crap upload speeds), I was left with the seedbox/usenet choice. I'd heard too many scare stories about seedboxes (people getting ripped off etc.) so usenet won. So far - no regrets.

quadomatic
12-12-2009, 05:51 PM
Worries about getting caught download 0day releases, don't get very good speeds on bt...I did when I was using private trackers exclusively, but bittorrent always kills my internet connection. Additionally, seeding things back takes AGES when you upload at 50KB/s.

Usenet (for me anyways) won out in a very big way

anon
12-12-2009, 05:54 PM
bittorrent always kills my internet connection.

Bad settings? Furthermore, if you add being behind a router on top of that, "BitTorrent makes the Internet stop" has a logical explanation.

quadomatic
12-12-2009, 05:55 PM
bittorrent always kills my internet connection.

Bad settings? Furthermore, if you add being behind a router on top of that, "BitTorrent makes the Internet stop" has a logical explanation.

I fiddled with connection settings for ages. My router is crap. I suppose I could buy a new router, but when my Usenet connection gets me a faster connection than I could get on torrents, AND I don't have to seed things back, and add to that downloading 0day releases without worrying about copyright infringement notices...Usenet is king

anon
12-12-2009, 05:57 PM
I fiddled with connection settings for ages. My router is crap. I suppose I could buy a new router

I've had to deal with crap routers too, but setting conservative upload speed and max connection limits did the trick.

NesteaZen
12-13-2009, 02:16 AM
quadomatic
Sure, if you follow idiotic guides like these then your sharing will piss you off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVq2GkzNrY8 || Make Utorrent FASTER!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0fvSytU9jw || Make Utorrent FASTER! (1.8.2 UPDATE)

Check out his second video guys. It's updated. lol.

But in the end I don't want to speculate since I don't know the circumstances and you're happy with usenet.

edit: And there is nothing to fiddle. It's like 2+3= 5 ie it's math.

anon
12-13-2009, 05:03 PM
Check out his second video guys. It's updated. lol.

1890 global connections should slow everything to a crawl and kill any router, specially on big torrents. :blink:

There's a lot of shit on YouTube, including the infamous "send your username, password and the name of who you want to hack, the server gets confused and gives you his password" videos. You shouldn't believe everything you see :mellow: