PDA

View Full Version : Call of Duty: MW2 reviews

Skiz
12-05-2009, 08:42 AM
Alright, so I was playing MW2 and afterwards I was watching some videos and reading reviews and such. I came across the IGN review of the game and saw that IGN rated the game a 9.5 (http://pc.ign.com/articles/104/1043744p1.html) (of 10) and of 1,272 user reviews, the average overall score is a 2.1. :ermm:

I for one canceled my preorder when I learned that there would be no dedicated servers but wow.... people are pissed (http://rr.pc.ign.com/rrobj/pc/object/14280895/).

Do you own the game?

Do you like it?

Any thoughts on the MP aspect?

I've downloaded it to play the single player and have had full intention of purchasing the game but only after the hype dies and well as the price. I'm not about to pay $60 and there is not dedi servers.

Cabalo
12-05-2009, 08:48 AM
I managed to play the MP mode for a couple of days, while it lasted that crack.
I wasn't impressed at all with the matchmaking engine, as I was always being sent to shitty servers, with loads of lag. And I live in a zone with plenty of good connections.
It just doesn't have that feeling of community. I know i liked CSS and MW for the fact that I kept playing at half a dozen servers and enjoyed their atmosphere.
That doesn't happen at MW2, but then again I only played it for a couple of days.
oh, the MP maps are awesome, way better than the original one.

Skiz
12-05-2009, 09:17 AM
I was the same way. After a couple of months you would find servers that you liked and visit them regularly. Now people don't have that option. :dabs:

The MP maps look huge but its tough to tell w/o playing them. It's something which MW2 didn't have. The maps that are on MW are good maps, but there just aren't any big ones at all.

I remember great maps on the original like Rhine Valley and Ponyri that were huge.

BawA
12-05-2009, 04:43 PM
i liked single player but it only lasted around 6 hours on 2nd last difficulty, beside that graphic was kick ass and smooth as usual.
in regards to the missions i can say they were pretty new ideas thought i would have enjoyed more if they still had "Death from Above" mission, they kept this mission as a bonus round for join players only.

Rart
12-06-2009, 01:37 AM
I've grown up on CS, TF, UT and the like (and still am). To be honest, until a couple of months ago, I've never even realized that matchmaking systems like these even existed. Due to the advantages of a mouse I have persistently refused to even touch a console shooter. Connecting a server that I preferred became the standard, and I never knew there even was another method of matchmaking.

A couple months ago my friend came over with his xbox and decided to show me how he played Gears of War online. It was honestly the worst experience I have ever seen. On a cable connection, in a rather populated area of the country, I would consistently see 100+ pings, and some of the games weren't even playable. This isn't even including the fact that a matchmaking system like this has some pretty nasty wait times, or the fact that since you can't choose the server, half the time you'll be playing on a map you don't like. It was terrible.

Custom content, custom mods, playing with people you are familiar with, playing on nearby servers with good connections, choosing the servers with maps you want to play, all gone. Everything that I had taken for granted as I increasingly got addicted to FPS games, gone.

I was really looking forward to perhaps taking the jump and trying out COD for myself to see what all the fuss was about. But with something like this, it just gimps the one thing I like about FPS games (I never play single player). I can't buy a game that has such a poor multiplayer component. I might consider trying out CoD 4 at some point, not sure. But definitely not MW2.

beansis
12-07-2009, 05:15 AM
I would have to say that this game is pretty good, considering that its the first campaign that I have actually finished in a long time. (so I didnt get bored and quit)

that said, does the multiplayer crack still work?

Skiz
12-07-2009, 05:20 AM
I've grown up on CS, TF, UT and the like (and still am). To be honest, until a couple of months ago, I've never even realized that matchmaking systems like these even existed. Due to the advantages of a mouse I have persistently refused to even touch a console shooter. Connecting a server that I preferred became the standard, and I never knew there even was another method of matchmaking.

A couple months ago my friend came over with his xbox and decided to show me how he played Gears of War online. It was honestly the worst experience I have ever seen. On a cable connection, in a rather populated area of the country, I would consistently see 100+ pings, and some of the games weren't even playable. This isn't even including the fact that a matchmaking system like this has some pretty nasty wait times, or the fact that since you can't choose the server, half the time you'll be playing on a map you don't like. It was terrible.

Custom content, custom mods, playing with people you are familiar with, playing on nearby servers with good connections, choosing the servers with maps you want to play, all gone. Everything that I had taken for granted as I increasingly got addicted to FPS games, gone.

I was really looking forward to perhaps taking the jump and trying out COD for myself to see what all the fuss was about. But with something like this, it just gimps the one thing I like about FPS games (I never play single player). I can't buy a game that has such a poor multiplayer component. I might consider trying out CoD 4 at some point, not sure. But definitely not MW2.

^Ditto to all that.

Give CoD4 a shot. It rules.

Matchmaking systems have existed for ages though. That's all there was prior to dedi servers. I take it you never played Age of Empires, Rainbow Six, or any of the old games which all required that you use the MSN Gaming Zone. It was a matchmaking system for the PC. It sucked then and it sucks now.

@beansis - From what I hear, the MP crack does not work.

beansis
12-07-2009, 06:28 AM
@beansis - From what I hear, the MP crack does not work.

Ya I tried it and it just keeps searching and searching:(

I think teknogods are working on an updated loader though

jimmyg123
12-12-2009, 05:40 PM
I actually just bought the game yesterday, I just finished the airport the game is really good. my kind of game, I love war games but since i haven't gotten to far in the game i cant really give a great opinion on it, except that the game play so far is amazing. Have tried mp yet that's a to do.

WakeMeUp
12-12-2009, 07:06 PM
I'm going to buy it tomorrow, but already played... it's awesome, but imo not as good as Killzone 2.

jimmyg123
12-13-2009, 09:18 PM
Killzone 2 is a good game I am at the end helghans keep pouring out and your stuck in that little room then you fight your way upstairs and they have the guys with rocket launchers come out and they always kill me.

DeeJay007
12-18-2009, 01:17 PM
Verry good game . I have bought it !

BloodFist
12-19-2009, 11:08 PM
in my opinion its the best game of 2009. no doubt :p

stok
12-20-2009, 11:33 AM
Yeah, the best game of 2009, it is fun playing on veteran level ;)

airman
12-21-2009, 10:01 AM
awesome

mandreke02
12-26-2009, 09:00 PM
Verry good game . I have bought it !

7th
12-26-2009, 09:57 PM
nothing new in my opinion =/

towerblocks
12-26-2009, 10:38 PM
The multiplayer has turned into the biggest piece of shit going, Ever since they released the first patch for the PS3 i've had nothing but lag and 2+ seconds delay when coming face to face with enemys, Before the patch i had no problems, Even when i'm host im getting lag, IW are bunch of clowns.

underw
12-28-2009, 07:54 AM
i love COD

mr. nails
01-05-2010, 10:04 PM
so, i broke down and got this. i couldn't wait any longer. not that i was eagerly awaiting this or anything, but i've neglected the no0bs long enough. i REALLY enjoy the feel of the larger maps! i love the fact that the nade spam has diminished. the chopper gunner is crazy and the nuke is even more so. i haven't found non-dedicated servers to be a total loss. me & my homeboy have been able to join the same servers/maps with friend invites so... what does have me buggered is the fact that i have a really good connection, but sumtimes i'm forced to a horrible one for sum reason. it's only happened a couple of times, but that's a couple of times it shouldn't. i still have lots of lvl'ing to do tho. so...

also, i couldn't give 2 shits about sp. i play fps for mp. if i wanted sp i'd play new super mario brothers. thx.

Cabalo
01-06-2010, 03:28 AM
Did you find anywhere a good deal for this one?
Feeling tempted to buy it at Steam, but the price isn't that friendly.
Besides, according to Xfire stats, there are more people playing MW than MW2. yet.

mr. nails
01-06-2010, 09:34 AM
nope. coughed up 60 bones. i have mw1, but decided to see wtf was up with mw2.

Curious
01-07-2010, 10:30 AM
There are tons of sites that sell MW2 cd-keys at very low prices,
Has anyone tried them?

mr. nails
01-07-2010, 03:16 PM
tbh, i will never dl a wares copy of a game imma play online let alone buy a key from sum1.

ps. non-dedicated servers = play the bad maps too. meh.

mr. nails
01-08-2010, 10:58 PM
maCSZFEPwzc

for the PC

get rid of music @ 1 min countdown:
steam/steamapps/common/call of duty modern warfare 2/miles/
change the mssmp3.asi file to ie: mssmp3.asi.old

for the PC

more precise latency meter:
steam/steamapps/common/call of duty modern warfare 2/players/
open config_mp
change scoresping_interval from 100 to 20, and maxbars from 4 to 10

AXTAQCYwPt8

phauk
01-09-2010, 12:11 PM
I cant wait to play it! just got me a new i7 and better graphics card (inspired by the gf wanting to play sims3 lol) - but means I got an excuse to play this ;)

Thanks for the reviews guys, made my mind up what game I will be playing first!

Carnios
01-11-2010, 05:46 AM
The campaign was very fun, but the plot was pretty awfully unbelievable and dis-jointed.

Modern Warfare 2's glaring plot holes exposed!
http://www.gamesradar.com/f/modern-warfare-2s-glaring-plot-holes-exposed/a-20091120123332495077

iTracker
01-12-2010, 08:45 PM
preety cool !

Rart
01-20-2010, 04:08 AM
Alright, so I decided to take the dive and finally bought it. So far, it doesn't seem that bad. At first I was pleased that in general I seemed to have Green bars in every game, until I realized how every single ping bar represents 100 ping. So you can still have 200 ping yet magically have *green* latency.

Here's an interesting fix to get a better idea of your latency:

*Sorry mister nails :P

With that being said, I now see that I consistently have over 100 ping in every match I join :mellow:. Aside from the random disconnects and high lag, the lag compensation in this game doesn't seem half bad, so I'm not doing terribly. And occasionally when you become the host you stay the host for the duration of your stay in the lobby, which is nice.

The gameplay is pretty nice and the leveling system is pretty neat, but I'm terrible at the sniper :pinch:. Any tips?

mr. nails
01-20-2010, 06:04 PM
Here's an interesting fix to get a better idea of your latency:

ur just as bad with posting shit as sonsofliberty is.

Rart
01-20-2010, 09:24 PM
Uh...what?

Got it nails. Sorry :P

2bad4u
01-20-2010, 09:58 PM
needs dedi servers on pc

mr. nails
01-21-2010, 02:42 AM
Uh...what?

Got it nails. Sorry :P

lol, u didn't have to edit ur shit. idc. i was just saying. lol. gg.

Prophet
01-27-2010, 03:31 PM
It's a very good game but I think that CoD: Modern Warfare was better.

iTracker
01-27-2010, 07:19 PM
I downloaded this game, and I must say that is the best of COD cathegory.

Rart
02-21-2010, 08:03 PM
Ever wonder what those random character shoutings actually say?

kI_jjsBKD5s

S!X
02-24-2010, 01:11 AM
^ LoL

frenchyd
02-28-2010, 05:09 PM
LOL love that vid above!

I play on PS3 and have to say this is the best of the series yet! Great game multiplayer is what makes it tho! There are some issues with laggy games but most of the time OK. Air support can be a bit overwhelming sometimes but its fun as hell when your the one calling it all out!

God I love the intervention and thermal scope stopping power combo! awesome sniper rifle!

:)

sagem
03-12-2010, 05:24 PM
CoD mw2 is the best game ever that i played online

WakeMeUp
03-12-2010, 09:32 PM
Ever wonder what those random character shoutings actually say?

kI_jjsBKD5s

Rofl.
Paris Hilton's a bitch! :lol:

AlriyG600
03-14-2010, 09:26 PM
man , you bring old times

i already end the game , and its , no , absolutely no , there is no word can describe this game !

ahmed200106
03-20-2010, 12:52 AM
amazing game.. i ended before 3 days.. great game

treetog
03-20-2010, 09:35 AM
i finish him 0n 2 days

shaardu
03-28-2010, 06:35 AM
i have the game and its wonderful upto the last point..nice game i must say

prozkom
04-04-2010, 06:07 AM
great pc game, i prefer the multiplayer of the game..

ybk1797
04-04-2010, 01:21 PM
I've seen a friend of mine playing it was awesome. I'm gonna play, too.

mandown
04-04-2010, 01:50 PM
The most amazing game i had ever played , i can't find any words to describe it :D

i'm waiting for the next version , i hope it coming soon

Innocentman
04-04-2010, 04:47 PM
Played MW1 so, I can't miss this one. I think MW1 is better than this. Anyone agree?

J0KeR346
04-04-2010, 05:05 PM
i didn't played it yet but i will

BullDozzeR
04-08-2010, 01:28 PM
Played through the SP campaign on pc, played some Mp on Xbox360 and played much spec ops on a PS3, and my opinion is that the SP is simply legendary!! Its an amazing, though short, campaign. The Spec ops is a very fun addition to play with your friends. The mp is a little odd at some places, i prefer BF:BC2 for MP

Rlx
04-10-2010, 11:21 AM
Do you own the game? yes.

Do you like it? not really,after 1 month of playing i quit because of n00btubes,no dedi-servers and lags.

Any thoughts on the MP aspect? sucks,no dedicaded servers lead to massive lags,connection problems,etc.

djnoxious
04-19-2010, 05:48 PM
Its alright, prefer cod4

Daniel_30
04-21-2010, 01:51 AM
yup i've one and i like it so much

napalm1773
04-22-2010, 03:40 AM
The game was over hyped. They made it far too easy to get kills. Plus there are a lot of hackers on PC if thats where you plan on playing it.

kratos2342
05-02-2010, 04:57 PM
awesome but not as good as i felt the 1st part

yj41
05-08-2010, 05:43 AM
call of duty is very excellent game
but i recommend battlefield series to my friends

MaximA
05-13-2010, 11:02 AM
Didn't try it till now,But I think it's a good one and I'll try it definitely asap!

Powared
05-13-2010, 08:39 PM
is it good to play online? i am interested in buying it for my ps3