PDA

View Full Version : Which Author Do You Think Writes Better Books?

ultimatejester
10-13-2003, 12:49 AM
this is my first post in the "Bookworld" so i dunno if this has been before.

Chuck Palnuick

Anne Rice

Stephen King

Tom Clancey

Don't Read .... Dont have the time

MagicNakor
10-13-2003, 12:52 AM
I'll have to go with "none of the above," Dave.

:ninja:

Cheese
10-13-2003, 12:58 AM
Chuck Plank - never heard of them

Anne Rice - too long winded

Stephen King - all his books are about writers (ie himself)

Tom Clancey - i think his best work was Splinter Cell for the x-box

Brett Easton Ellis is the king imo (closely followed by Alex Garland)

3rd gen noob
10-13-2003, 12:59 AM
there's this guy called 'anonymous' who writes a lot of good stuff... :rolleyes:

MagicNakor
10-13-2003, 01:03 AM
And a lot of tripe too. ;)

:ninja:

uNz[i]
10-13-2003, 03:43 AM
As the only author in that list that I've read is Stephen King, I can't say which is 'the best'. :(

olibomb
10-15-2003, 07:31 AM
I'd say it would be a battle between Steven King and Tom Clancy, that may be because i've only read those 2 authors books out of the list :ph34r:

WW-X-
10-15-2003, 02:26 PM
i like most of the authors that write: star trek the next generation books. Those are pretty good.
Like the imzadi 1 and 2. I not much for love stories, but those were pretty cool.

Smooch
10-15-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Withcheese@13 October 2003 - 00:58

Can you please go into detail? I don't know what you mean by this comment :unsure:

ultimatejester
10-16-2003, 09:01 PM
Stephen King all the way. i think its cuz Storm of the Century is the only book i have read so far in my life :lol: :lol: :lol:

system_failure
10-18-2003, 12:25 AM
anne Rice is a great story teller, I have read all of the VChronicles...working on the Mayfair witches....

GO Leafs Go? UJ they had better kick the Canadiens ass tomorrow!!!!

Adster
10-18-2003, 06:49 AM
yep deffently Stephen King

Blue_Savannah
10-18-2003, 07:09 AM
Stephen King is VASTLY over-rated....I find his writing childish and repetitive. But, to each his own. :)

striker
10-18-2003, 10:49 AM
Tom Clancy and the Clive Cussler.

Did anyone red any books of Clive Cussler? :D

iamtheoneandonlyone
10-20-2003, 10:38 AM
Tom Clancy and Stephen King write very good books.

N£MO
10-20-2003, 02:22 PM
Don't Read .... Dont have the time . :D

lightshow
10-22-2003, 02:10 AM
Chuck Palahniuk because he is the man. He is my all time favorite author.

If you've never heard of him, he's the guy who wrote the book Fight Club which became a huge movie hit

My true favorite of all his books is Survivor. This guy is an increadible author@

Desert Eagle
10-26-2003, 11:02 AM
From those authors I would say Stephen King or Tom Clancy.

{I}{K}{E}
10-26-2003, 11:05 AM
Stephen King

sosseres
10-27-2003, 10:25 PM
read 1.5 of kings books, didn't manage to get through the last one I read, was to utterly bored.
Clancy I havn't read, not the kind of book I like and what I have heard is bad, even though my freind has him as favourite author :)
Read half fight club by pala... but what I read had me again so bored that I wondered why I let my freind talk me into start readin it ;)
Rice has only written good books as far as I am in her series, only read first 4-5 or something in vampire chronicles though :)

Cheese
10-28-2003, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by Smooch+15 October 2003 - 18:43--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Smooch &#064; 15 October 2003 - 18:43)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Withcheese@13 October 2003 - 00:58

Can you please go into detail? I don&#39;t know what you mean by this comment :unsure:[/b][/quote]

Salem&#39;s Lot - main character is a writer
The Shining - another writer
Pet Cemetary - ditto
It - one of the kids is a writer
Misery - another writer
Tommyknockers - another writer (okay a female writer)
Dark Half - another writer

Actually not ALL his books are about himself but that&#39;s a good chunk (those are just the books I&#39;ve read). He has written a lot of books and I guess they all have a samey feel to them that is not just about having writer characters, it&#39;s the lack of change in the locations (every story set in Maine) and the cut-out good guys-bad guys. This is a strange thing to say about a writer who writes about such unusual things as shapechanging clowns, ressurected cats and the likes I admit but I prefer character development over fanciful storyline (though still enjoy a bit of fantasy).

Whilst every writer does write about his own experiences and his own life I&#39;ve never felt this more apparent than when reading a Stephen King novel, it can sometimes be very discomforting to read someone working out their own issues so obviously.

Having said that I enjoy reading a Stephen King novel, mainly for the reasons I&#39;ve just explained...you know what you&#39;re going to get. A good story (and that&#39;s all we want really).

Smurfette
11-01-2003, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by Withcheese+28 October 2003 - 01:56--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Withcheese &#064; 28 October 2003 - 01:56)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Smooch@15 October 2003 - 18:43
<!--QuoteBegin-Withcheese@13 October 2003 - 00:58

Can you please go into detail? I don&#39;t know what you mean by this comment :unsure:

Salem&#39;s Lot - main character is a writer
The Shining - another writer
Pet Cemetary - ditto
It - one of the kids is a writer
Misery - another writer
Tommyknockers - another writer (okay a female writer)
Dark Half - another writer

Actually not ALL his books are about himself but that&#39;s a good chunk (those are just the books I&#39;ve read). He has written a lot of books and I guess they all have a samey feel to them that is not just about having writer characters, it&#39;s the lack of change in the locations (every story set in Maine) and the cut-out good guys-bad guys. This is a strange thing to say about a writer who writes about such unusual things as shapechanging clowns, ressurected cats and the likes I admit but I prefer character development over fanciful storyline (though still enjoy a bit of fantasy).

Whilst every writer does write about his own experiences and his own life I&#39;ve never felt this more apparent than when reading a Stephen King novel, it can sometimes be very discomforting to read someone working out their own issues so obviously.

Having said that I enjoy reading a Stephen King novel, mainly for the reasons I&#39;ve just explained...you know what you&#39;re going to get. A good story (and that&#39;s all we want really).[/b][/quote]
Heh, I&#39;ve read most of his books (nearly all, actually) and often feel the same way about some of his characterisations - not just the author characters, either.

Excellently summed up, though. Yes I can put up with these things because (with the exception of Hearts In Atlantis, Tommyknockers and Insomnia) they are all great stories.

I really can&#39;t understand why so many people automatically slap the Horror label on all his books as many (perhaps his best - The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon & Talisman for example) are nothing of the sort.

Smurfette
11-01-2003, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by striker@18 October 2003 - 11:49
Tom Clancy and the Clive Cussler.

Did anyone red any books of Clive Cussler? :D
I believe he wrote Convoy, which I thought was pretty decent.

bob_the_alien
11-01-2003, 05:04 AM
I&#39;ve read most of Stephen King&#39;s book&#39;s and while I won&#39;t say he&#39;s the best of the list, he is my favorite, of the ones on the list.

Anne Rice, I sorta like her stuff, but sometimes, I get a bit bored while reading her books.
Tom Clancey, I like the books I&#39;ve read by him but I&#39;ve only read a couple, so I can&#39;t say too much
as for Chuck Palnuick, I have heard of him, but I&#39;ve never read any of his books, so I can&#39;t make a judgement call there.

Stephen King, though, I still pick as my favorite, just for one book series, The Dark Tower, I&#39;ve read every book of the Gunslingers quest so far, and I can&#39;t wait for the next installment, which will be out this month.

Other good writers are Frank Herbert, read the Dune books, they are excellent reads.
Alvin Tofler is a great writer, but his deal with realsim and how the future will be.

Smurfette
11-01-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by bob_the_alien+1 November 2003 - 06:04--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bob_the_alien &#064; 1 November 2003 - 06:04)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Stephen King, though,&nbsp; I still pick as my favorite, just for one book series,&nbsp; The Dark Tower, I&#39;ve read every book of the Gunslingers quest so far, and I can&#39;t wait for the next installment, which will be out this month.[/b]

I find the time it&#39;s taken to get even thiis far in the Gunslinger series really annoying. Mind you, according to his web presence the next two installments will come out this year and next, IIRC.

<!--QuoteBegin-bob_the_alien@1 November 2003 - 06:04
Other good writers are Frank Herbert,&nbsp; read the Dune books, they are excellent reads.[/quote]

D&#39;you know, I always tihnk of James Herbert first when someone mentions him&#33; Not quite in the same league, really.
I loved Dune but the second book I found really hard going and didn&#39;t enjoy it at all.

Cheese
11-01-2003, 07:01 PM
D&#39;you know, I always tihnk of James Herbert first when someone mentions him&#33; Not quite in the same league, really.

I don&#39;t know I think James Herbert is a great storyteller, his novels are great fun to read especially The Rats trilogy and Fluke.

I&#39;m sure I&#39;ll be corrected but I think he&#39;s one of the best British horror writers of modern times.

Smurfette
11-01-2003, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Withcheese@1 November 2003 - 20:01

I don&#39;t know I think James Herbert is a great storyteller, his novels are great fun to read especially The Rats trilogy and Fluke.

I&#39;m sure I&#39;ll be corrected but I think he&#39;s one of the best British horror writers of modern times.
Let&#39;s face it there&#39;s not that much competition, is there?
Ramsey Campbell? Hmm... I&#39;ve only read two of his novels (but quite a few short stories in old Pan Horror collections I have) because they bored me to sleep. The Doll Who Ate His Mother was one and the other was something about paganism in Lancashire somewhere.
Is Clive Barker British? He&#39;s not really horror, though.
Shaun Hutson? Sheesh, the best thing about him is his love of heavy metal. The last Hutson book I read gave me the impression that he was describing injuries in a way that said, "Hey, look at me - I researched anatomy&#33;"

James Herbert isn&#39;t that bad a writer (better than Campell &#33;) but I find his style a little "Casualty"-ish. Reading them is like watching the show in that I try and guess which person in each thread is going to get injured and how.
The Rats and Magic Cottage wre good but I thought The Fog and Sepulchre were only okay.

Jayhawk
11-02-2003, 05:38 AM
i would have to go with Clancy

shubhodeep_das
11-02-2003, 05:54 AM
What about

John Grisham
Sidney Sheldon
Miachel Cringhton
Jeffery Archer

Cheese
11-02-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Smurfette+1 November 2003 - 21:29--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Smurfette &#064; 1 November 2003 - 21:29)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Withcheese@1 November 2003 - 20:01

Let&#39;s face it there&#39;s not that much competition, is there?
Ramsey Campbell? Hmm... I&#39;ve only read two of his novels (but quite a few short stories in old Pan Horror collections I have) because they bored me to sleep. The Doll Who Ate His Mother was one and the other was something about paganism in Lancashire somewhere.
Is Clive Barker British? He&#39;s not really horror, though.
Shaun Hutson? Sheesh, the best thing about him is his love of heavy metal. The last Hutson book I read gave me the impression that he was describing injuries in a way that said, "Hey, look at me - I researched anatomy&#33;"

James Herbert isn&#39;t that bad a writer (better than Campell &#33;) but I find his style a little "Casualty"-ish. Reading them is like watching the show in that I try and guess which person in each thread is going to get injured and how.
The Rats and Magic Cottage wre good but I thought The Fog and Sepulchre were only okay.[/b][/quote]
lol :lol: I love that "Casualty" -ish description of James Herbert that&#39;s just right.

Shaun Hutson&#39;s books just set my teeth on edge, he&#39;s too graphic and I think you&#39;re right, he has researched for his books but I kind of get the feeling he is out to shock all the time. ( And most of his books read like he has a movie script in mind).

@shubhodeep_das

John Crichton, he researches his topics so well that you can really believe his stories. The amount of information crammed into a book like Jurussic Park or Airframe is amazing, I felt like Ilearned something afetr reading his books.

shubhodeep_das
11-02-2003, 06:33 PM
@Withcheese

Try to get and read some law stories of John Grisham.
He writes great books on manipulating the laws of the state.
It will leave a good taste in your mouth.

Chame1eon
11-04-2003, 11:59 AM
anne rice is very long winded in some of her books, but in the end the depth of knowledge you have aboutt he charachters or the setting sometimes pays off. This is in her good books like the witching hour. Other books like Lasher just seem silly to me like a very shallow romace.
Steven king&#39;s books are awsome. His charachters are very believable, and i just like the way the stories build up to the climax where you don&#39;t know who will survive. Also isn&#39;t there something nice about clear cut good guys fighting pure evil?

Smurfette
11-04-2003, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Withcheese+2 November 2003 - 12:28--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Withcheese &#064; 2 November 2003 - 12:28)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Smurfette@1 November 2003 - 21:29

Shaun Hutson? Sheesh, the best thing about him is his love of heavy metal. The last Hutson book I read gave me the impression that he was describing injuries in a way that said, "Hey, look at me - I researched anatomy&#33;".
lol :lol: I love that "Casualty" -ish description of James Herbert that&#39;s just right.

Shaun Hutson&#39;s books just set my teeth on edge, he&#39;s too graphic and I think you&#39;re right, he has researched for his books but I kind of get the feeling he is out to shock all the time. ( And most of his books read like he has a movie script in mind).[/b]

Yes, Hutson must think hollywood is going to come to him even after such tripe as Slugs&#33;

Originally posted by Withcheese@2 November 2003 - 12:28
@shubhodeep_das

John Crichton, he researches his topics so well that you can really believe his stories.&nbsp; The amount of information crammed into a book like Jurussic Park or Airframe is amazing, I felt like Ilearned something afetr reading his books.

That&#39;s exactly the reason I like Forsyth&#39;s stuff. I can&#39;t say I&#39;ve ever read any novels or short stories of his that I didn&#39;t enjoy immensely - just as I can&#39;t recall ever seeing a bad film with Harrison Ford in it&#33;

<!--QuoteBegin-Chame1eon@4 November 2003 - 12:59
Steven king&#39;s books are awsome. His charachters are very believable, and i just like the way the stories build up to the climax where you don&#39;t know who will survive.&nbsp; Also isn&#39;t there something nice about clear cut good guys fighting pure evil?[/quote]

King manages to write as if he&#39;s actually talking to me (and you&#33;) and it&#39;s a style that&#39;s very enjoyable for me. Other authors I&#39;ve read don&#39;t manage to do that anywhere near as well.

Cheese
11-04-2003, 09:05 PM
Yes, Hutson must think hollywood is going to come to him even after such tripe as Slugs&#33;

I think this is one of my pet hates of some "lesser" authors is that they seem to be writing a book with the movie deal in mind, whether intentionally or not. I don&#39;t mean to sound like a literary snob but I love to read "trashy" novels like King, Herbert and Crichton as they are so easy to read but authors like Hutson annoy me.

I read any book I pick up but so many times I&#39;ve been dissappointed by this movie-hunt attitude. I mean they&#39;re either after a movie deal or they are just bad writers who are unintentionally writing scripts. Just because the novel is "trashy" doesn&#39;t mean it has to be written badly, King for example is a very engaging author, as a lot of us agree.

Please, please tell me that Hutson has never ACTUALLY got a movie deal from one of his books...that would make me very sad.

Smurfette
11-04-2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Withcheese@4 November 2003 - 22:05
Please, please tell me that Hutson has never ACTUALLY got a movie deal from one of his books...that would make me very sad.
Well, I&#39;m sure I saw Slugs or Spawn down the local video store about 10 years ago lol :D

Cheese
11-04-2003, 11:40 PM
omfg you&#39;re right:

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0093995/#comment

(actually *shuffles feet* I wouldn&#39;t mind checking this film out to see how bad it is...anyone out there got it? lol no, didn&#39;t think so)

Smurfette
11-05-2003, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Withcheese@5 November 2003 - 00:40
omfg you&#39;re right:

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0093995/#comment

(actually *shuffles feet* I wouldn&#39;t mind checking this film out to see how bad it is...anyone out there got it? lol no, didn&#39;t think so)
RAOTFLMFAO

I bloody thought so :D

Now you know someone&#39;s bound to come up with a hash for it now, don&#39;t you?

fkdup74
11-05-2003, 02:22 AM
king, hands down (IMO) :P

peludo
11-07-2003, 04:33 AM
you&#39;re only talking about those ones???
i&#39;ve only read Stephen king, so i can&#39;t tell....
i like David and Leigh Eddings&#33;&#33; :lol:
see ya

Cheese
11-07-2003, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by peludo@7 November 2003 - 05:33
you&#39;re only talking about those ones???
i&#39;ve only read Stephen king, so i can&#39;t tell....
i like David and Leigh Eddings&#33;&#33; :lol:
see ya
NO&#33; Don&#39;t even get me started on David Eddings his fantasy books are just awful, just awful...

All that nonsense about prophecies and stuff just made me very sleepy. Having said that his two contempary novels (High Hunt and The Losers) were quite good and his fantasy novels sell by the bucketload so what do I know? ;)

Gemby!
11-07-2003, 06:29 PM
i like danielle steel - her books are so sad but so nice &#33;

Jay
11-09-2003, 07:59 AM
tom clancey

OmniZero123
11-10-2003, 05:26 AM
J.R.R Tolkien