PDA

View Full Version : Would U Go To War If Your Country Was Threatened ?

leonidas
10-13-2003, 10:35 AM
I don't mean "If your familly, or friends, or lives in general were threatened", but just your country: Its territory, values, morality, culture ect...

You're not obliged to justify yourself.

PS: Precise your country.

I know I'm going to make laught some people here, as I'm french & as I won't fight.

hooked
10-13-2003, 10:39 AM
fuck war
fuck ppl who make war

netherlands

sharedholder
10-13-2003, 10:41 AM
Don't like the war.

ROMANIA

Lamsey
10-13-2003, 10:41 AM
War is the very last course of action, and should only be waged if all other forms of negotiation have failed and it is necessary for the safety of the country.

I'm from Scotland.

silent VI
10-13-2003, 10:56 AM
i respect all life but for the love of canada i would definatly fight and die in war to protect my country

swarnel
10-13-2003, 10:58 AM
I would go to war if it was neccisary but its not often that australia gets threatened by wars

Keikan
10-13-2003, 11:43 AM
If they hit you hit them harder

Uhh I'm from canada

Riddler
10-13-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by leonidas@13 October 2003 - 03:35
I don't mean "If your familly, or friends, or lives in general were threatened", but just your country: Its territory, values, morality, culture ect...

You're not obliged to justify yourself.

I know I'm going to make laught some people here, as I'm french & as I won't fight.
Nope. I'd move.

From Canada.

To France.

;)

leonidas
10-13-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Riddler+13 October 2003 - 12:51--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Riddler @ 13 October 2003 - 12:51)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-leonidas@13 October 2003 - 03:35
I don&#39;t mean "If your familly, or friends, or lives in general were threatened", but just your country: Its territory, values, morality, culture ect...

You&#39;re not obliged to justify yourself.

I know I&#39;m going to make laught some people here, as I&#39;m french & as I won&#39;t fight.
Nope. I&#39;d move.

From Canada.

To France.

;) [/b][/quote]
That&#39;s ok but don&#39;t bring Celine Dion with you :unsure:

TheMusicMan
10-13-2003, 01:14 PM
I would not since I don&#39;t support a stupid country like mine. That&#39;s also the reason why i moved :)

I won&#39;t post what country that is (not USA) cause else i get flamed for that :)

Have a great day

BigMouse
10-13-2003, 01:18 PM
War is the very last course of action, and should only be waged if all other forms of negotiation have failed and it is necessary for the safety of the country.

I&#39;m from Scotland

I&#39;m with Lamsey and he is very rarely wrong about things like this and it&#39;s even rarer for me to agree with him&#33;&#33;&#33; :D

I&#39;m also from Scotland BTW.

Lamsey
10-13-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by BigMouse@13 October 2003 - 13:18
I&#39;m with Lamsey and he is very rarely wrong about things like this and it&#39;s even rarer for me to agree with him&#33;&#33;&#33; :D

I&#39;m also from Scotland BTW.
:huh: The implication here being that I&#39;m rarely wrong, you rarely agree with me and therefore you&#39;re rarely right?&#33;

Needs some further thought ;)

BigMouse
10-13-2003, 01:52 PM
The implication here being that I&#39;m rarely wrong, you rarely agree with me and therefore you&#39;re rarely right?&#33;

Needs some further thought

Just because I&#39;m not a brainiac like you. Some things make sense to me my way and then you confuse the issue with your way. I&#39;m not a thinker I&#39;m a doer, once I know what I&#39;m doing I put it into action wheather I understand it or not.

Anyway why aren&#39;t you at uni?? Or are you using their comps.

Lamsey
10-13-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by BigMouse@13 October 2003 - 13:52
Just because I&#39;m not a brainiac like you. Some things make sense to me my way and then you confuse the issue with your way. I&#39;m not a thinker I&#39;m a doer, once I know what I&#39;m doing I put it into action wheather I understand it or not.
I was extracting the urine ;)

And I&#39;m not at uni because my Maths lecture finished at 1 and my next lecture doesn&#39;t start till 4, so I came home for lunch.

Biggles
10-13-2003, 01:55 PM
War rarely achieves much that is any good. However, I think, like most people, I draw the line at people invading my country. I would therefore fight.

I don&#39;t think "interests" are a particularly strong case though and certainly galloping off around the world simply to get further up the economic pecking order is no justification for war.

Assisting an old friend being put upon by a third party is however probably justified.

I am also Scottish. (Quite a lot of us on here for such a small nation).

j2k4
10-13-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Biggles@13 October 2003 - 08:55
I am also Scottish. (Quite a lot of us on here for such a small nation).
Yes, a good number of you, and I find the repartee of uniformly high quality and the participants to be of agreeable and amenable mien.

I wonder why you think this is true.

I cheer you nonetheless.

I would fight for my country, and I would be inclined also to defend my allies; I would, however, do this only in accord with principles some here don&#39;t think I have. :)

I am not of the "My Country, Right or Wrong" crowd.

Alucard1475
10-13-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by hooked@13 October 2003 - 20:39
fuck war
fuck ppl who make war

netherlands
Exactly my thoughts. Wars suck&#33;&#33; Innocent people die for no reason.

Would U Go To War If Your Country Was Threatened ?
No I wouldn&#39;t but I&#39;d protect my country from it.

Aussie

Yogi
10-13-2003, 03:00 PM
Depends on who is "invading" my counrty.

If it&#39;s an army of beautifull babes, i&#39;ll probably join them.........

Any other "agressor" is welcome on my part.....

Anything better then our current government.........

I&#39;m from holland.

:ph34r: Yogi

pol
10-13-2003, 03:56 PM
well i hope i dont do too much damage to Scotland&#39;s image here j2k4 :P

but i have to say, although history isnt my forte - neither is current affairs for that matter, that i&#39;d really have to think long and hard before going to war. i have heard some real horror stories from friend&#39;s who have served their country, and now their lives and obviously those of their families will never be the same. some of the worst i have heard are not only about the fighting itself, but also the &#39;clean up&#39; that follows.

in short, my personal (though not well informed) view of recent war&#39;s/conflict&#39;s is that they have perhaps been overwhelming. i dont mean to aim this just toward&#39;s American conflict&#39;s, those &#39;horror stories&#39; came from Europe. i&#39;m sure people will disagree with this, but as i said i know very little about the politics involved. so it&#39;s a gut reaction to say yes, i would fight for my country but only in extreme circumstances and for something that i believed in myself.

Biggles
10-13-2003, 03:57 PM
J2K4

I presume you mean the "wars rarely achieve much" bit.

In certain cases wars are the lesser of two evils. WW2 was pretty nigh essential. Nazi scientists were not far behind the Allies in the developing the bomb. If it had not been for Telemark they may have beat us to it and won the war. Who knows where we would be now if that had happened.

However, generally, most wars simply sow the seeds of the next war. It is extremely rare to hear that a country is actively pursuing peace because a rival did so 30 years ago, but depressingly common to hear a country is set for war to rectify the wrongs (perceived or real) of a war of 30 years ago. It could be fairly convincingly argued that the failure to establish a just peace after 1918 laid the path (and put little shrubs and decorative statues along the sides) for Hitler to seize power on the back of the resentment caused.

One can think of any number of conflicts caused by endles retaliations down through the ages.

[In fairness to the Germans, the Kaiser did not actually think that Austria was going to start WW1 and went on holiday. He had to be called back when it all went pear shaped].

As instuments of foreign policy wars are can cause more problems than they solve. Winning the aftermath of a war is the really tricky bit and rarely achieved well. WW2 was a rare exception.

That said, nothwithstanding Sensualgardening&#39;s army of babes :rolleyes: (is Shakira in there?), I do not want a foreign army marching up and down my streets. So I guess, as Country Joe and the Fish once said, "everyone has their limits."

Yogi
10-13-2003, 04:02 PM
That said, nothwithstanding Sensualgardening&#39;s army of babes&nbsp; (is Shakira in there?),

She&#39;s the leader of the pack.......

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :">

j2k4
10-13-2003, 04:06 PM
Biggles-

Though it may not be apparent to others, your thinking and mine have many parallels.

Pol-

The "nightmare" scenarios you allude to and have heard recounted by others are no doubt true.

They describe precisely why war should never be an option lightly considered-I hope I didn&#39;t give you the idea I subscribe to war (as Biggles referred to it) as a tactic of foreign policy; I don&#39;t.

pol
10-13-2003, 04:20 PM
I hope I didn&#39;t give you the idea I subscribe to war

not at all j2k4 , i believe i understood the last line of your first post. i apologise for any misunderstanding.

i was just referring to those stories as my own reasoning of what it all really means to me, and that i would never make such a decision lightly, or for something that i didnt believe in.

edit - after re-reading my post, i can see that you may think the entire post was directed at you after reading the first line, sorry, this was&#39;nt the intention :D

Spendog
10-13-2003, 05:46 PM
I`m not fighting&#33;&#33;&#33; Fuck that&#33; Let some other morons get their limbs blown off and sprayed with all sorts of chemicals... and that`s just from our own doctors and our allies&#33; No way, I`m off somewhere sunny&#33;&#33;&#33;

Spendog, channel 9 news, England.

;)

Mr. Mulder
10-13-2003, 06:01 PM
Would U Go To War If Your Country Was Threatened ?

No

Uk

4play
10-13-2003, 06:06 PM
I would join up in a heart beat.

the only problem is that are current goverment gives away houses to people that we fight wars against.

england B)

3rd gen noob
10-13-2003, 06:09 PM
i&#39;d go to war for my country

scotland

noname12
10-13-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Darker@13 October 2003 - 13:14
I would not since I don&#39;t support a stupid country like mine. That&#39;s also the reason why i moved :)

I won&#39;t post what country that is (not USA) cause else i get flamed for that :)

Have a great day
Your an Iraqi, its obvious.

Oh and if My original country was threatened I would go fight, Regardless of wether the population or just the borders where threatened, all the same to me, My country is my pride, heart and honour.... so dont mess :angry: :lol:

I live in england,

Aint gonna say where I am from for fear of being shot, I mean flamed :lol:

4play
10-13-2003, 06:15 PM
your from spain arent you darker :rolleyes:

the pic you posted of google.es was a bit of a give away. :D

noname12
10-13-2003, 06:16 PM
oh he could be cuban... Iraq, Cuba, no difference

lynx
10-13-2003, 07:05 PM
Wars are caused by politicians.