PDA

View Full Version : paranoia over filesharing

ktown
12-10-2009, 04:54 PM
ive been using some sort of p2p for about the last 8 years or so. i used to use limewire and kazaa but now i strictly use torrents(mostly private until demonoid was shut down, so now more public) and MU. and about once a year i get really paranoid that some dude with a badge is gonna come knockin on my door and slap me with millions of dollars worth of fines from illegal shit i have downloaded. my question is, is this a real concern? should i be worried?

anon
12-10-2009, 05:00 PM
If you download from public trackers or huge private ones, there may be one. But normally you should be sent a letter along the lines of "you downloaded X, delete it now" first. There's no 100% safe site, but generally the smaller or harder to get in a tracker is, the safer it should be.

ktown
12-10-2009, 07:25 PM
alright, thanks man, definately makes me feel better and less paranoid haha

cinephilia
12-11-2009, 12:07 PM
If you download from public trackers or huge private ones, there may be one. But normally you should be sent a letter along the lines of "you downloaded X, delete it now" first. There's no 100% safe site, but generally the smaller or harder to get in a tracker is, the safer it should be.
that's what ex-UK-T members was thinking before a certain event occurs :rolleyes:

$SnoopDo2G$
12-11-2009, 01:02 PM
The only Private trackers that are safe, are those that people doesn't know the url of it :)
for example i've a friend he got his lil tracker and max. 100 users, only people he knows are allowed in that shit, he doesn't need donations and so on...
Fuck the masses :D

But it's true, many people switched from torrents to direct download sites... some kind of paranoia occured... :lol:

anon
12-11-2009, 04:12 PM
that's what ex-UK-T members was thinking before a certain event occurs :rolleyes:

I remembered about that before posting and thus italicized "should" :lol:

kondrae
12-11-2009, 09:57 PM
Just think of it this way: you have a better chance of winning the lottery than getting sued for downloading

mobilephone
12-12-2009, 12:58 AM
If they do threaten any sort of legal action, you could try the 'somebody must've used my Wi-Fi' card, just make sure to hide any files you downloaded somewhere safe (a friend's house), so if they do take your computer(s), they'll be no evidence of illegal files (do a reformat to clear it all, backup first!)

I don't know if they'll even bother, the odds are so minimal, especially with private trackers and rapidshare etc.

anon
12-12-2009, 04:17 PM
Or even better, encrypt your HDD. Perhaps you could do like that that scener TF interviewed and put a button on your keyboard to instawipe all your drives :lol:

ktown
12-12-2009, 09:16 PM
Just think of it this way: you have a better chance of winning the lottery than getting sued for downloading

thanks for puttin it in perspective :D all this is makin me feel wayyyy less paranoid. good shit XD

Blackbeard
12-15-2009, 06:54 AM
No one knows, download Peerblock to block all the ips, I wouldn't recommend blocking education but if you feel safer do it I guess, and use forced encryption is all you can pretty much do, and use router or firewall.

Unless you're willing to pay for a seedbox/vpn or usenet.

maphongbax
12-15-2009, 07:04 PM

where do you get that number ?

kondrae
12-16-2009, 06:54 AM
i made it up

If you take steps to reduce your chances of being sued, like avoiding limewire, avoiding popular/leaked releases especially on public trackers, using private trackers, you'll reduce your chances even more

may i say, nobody got sued for filesharing. Only sysops, admins, and uploaders have to worry in that kind of situation

xuxoxux
12-19-2009, 05:29 AM
may i say, nobody got sued for filesharing. Only sysops, admins, and uploaders have to worry in that kind of situation

Users generally aren't brought up unless they make really stupid choices like use Kazaa to download music. It is the sources that have to worry.

Sonnentier
12-19-2009, 01:47 PM
Users generally aren't brought up unless they make really stupid choices like use Kazaa to download music. It is the sources that have to worry.
Yes they have sued casual filesharers, it is said that certain sources are safe, but if they're in, they can sentence you in exactly the same way.

chrisbeebops
12-20-2009, 02:35 AM
I don't know anyone who has gotten a letter while using private trackers. If you stick to private trackers and use something like peerguardian, you are pretty safe. The RIAA/MPAA/etc can't go after everyone and seem to go for the easy targets, so if you make yourself more difficult than the next guy...

kondrae
12-20-2009, 06:06 AM
I don't know anyone who has gotten a letter while using private trackers. If you stick to private trackers and use something like peerguardian, you are pretty safe. The RIAA/MPAA/etc can't go after everyone and seem to go for the easy targets, so if you make yourself more difficult than the next guy...
Well, people have gotten DMCA letters over at TL, but what do you expect, the tracker has 180k