PDA

View Full Version : STN closing down?

anon
12-11-2009, 10:05 PM
Title says it all. While browsing its forums today, I found this post by the site founder:

So effective Dec 15th, I'm closing STN. I will process and give refunds.
No need to send me a pm with your transaction ID as I'm refunding everyones money including previous donors.

I'll spend my time, my money, and my effort on something else that brings me enjoyment. Because taking abuse from the handful of ignorant, uneducated people here is consuming way to much of my time

In response to this:

Reading that post makes me realize why you chose TS over TBDEV or something else far superior. You state you're no p2p guru and didn't realize rules were needed? Come on man, I'm not trying to down you or anything (I'm trying to help you) but so far you've shown me that you're on a bit of a power trip, slightly egotistical and won't listen to good advice because what your mind perceives as valid is actually corrupt due to lack of experience in this field. If this gets me banned, than it's just another example to the rest of the members here that we aren't allowed to have opinions on this site (I recall you saying you'd ban anyone talking about tbdev... are you serious?). If we can't have opinions than I have no place here anymore. It just scares me that if you hate Modern Warfare 2 for whatever reasons that you won't allow us to talk about the game on the forums or in irc. Please reassure me these type of things won't happen in the future.

The rest of the thread (originally about temporary restrictions that were imposed) are mostly posts begging yocto to change his mind. Personally, I won't miss it - not a big fan of Pay2Leech.

Cabalo
12-11-2009, 10:07 PM
I lost my bet. I thought It would last until 1-jan-2010 :(

Rart
12-11-2009, 10:07 PM
Never saw it coming :rolleyes:

Slickerey
12-11-2009, 10:08 PM
I'm not going to miss it either. Sure, they had fast pretimes, but STN's owner is known to be a real douche when it comes to talking about his beloved TS.

anon
12-11-2009, 10:10 PM
STN's owner is known to be a real douche when it comes to talking about his beloved TS.

As in "ban for everyone else that proposes TBdev or Gazelle" :pinch:

Slickerey
12-11-2009, 10:12 PM
As in "ban for everyone else that proposes TBdev or Gazelle" :pinch:

Yeah. That's exactly what I was talking about. His seedboxes were great, but if he actually listened to his users' opinions, then his tracker would have been a success. My two cents.

merwais
12-11-2009, 10:24 PM
and STN stands for ?
STN = seed torrent network . com :P ? or ... ?

anon
12-11-2009, 10:26 PM
STN = StoreThe.Net

Slickerey
12-11-2009, 10:29 PM
We all know that he was just kidding.

Also, some people might confuse this site with Sharing-The.Net. STN and StN are totally different things.

snagit
12-11-2009, 11:06 PM
If they're really closing down, then you can't say you didn't see it coming.

Slickerey
12-11-2009, 11:43 PM
Then I won't resist saying it, either. I knew it was coming.

anon
12-11-2009, 11:46 PM
Personally, I started thinking they were doomed when they switched to the "sponsorship" scheme. Given the facts that they are a relatively new tracker and apart from the topsite request system, offer nothing you can't find at other sites, it wasn't the right time to force people to pay for a membership.

nucks2424
12-11-2009, 11:51 PM
nice to see it go down so fast.

Slickerey
12-12-2009, 12:43 AM
Personally, I started thinking they were doomed when they switched to the "sponsorship" scheme. Given the facts that they are a relatively new tracker and apart from the topsite request system, offer nothing you can't find at other sites, it wasn't the right time to force people to pay for a membership.

You have a good point there. Many people have flamed yocto and his ideas ever since he started the entire P2L thing.

nice to see it go down so fast.

+1

eldiesel
12-12-2009, 12:59 AM
good.

n00bz0r
12-12-2009, 01:21 AM
rofl.. it wasnt that hard to imagine.
good riddance I say!

McArty
12-12-2009, 07:35 AM
There is some ppl that cant stand a little power, like yocto, who became an arrogant prick and a truly dictator.
Didnt you said that you were going to be like another member? And wtf is that about "educating people"? Maybe you are the un-educated.

I gave the place a couple months after they became p2l. I guess i was wrong...

Di@monds
12-12-2009, 11:00 AM
Ohh well atleast he gave the money back

Funkin'
12-12-2009, 11:04 AM
What a douchebag.

The_Martinator
12-12-2009, 12:45 PM
OH NOESSSSSS!!!!!

..not :shifty:

Talkaboutfiles
12-12-2009, 02:12 PM
This makes me happy so so happy there shutting it DOWN.
Good reddens P2L scum of the internet.
Probably going to start another scam site.

Duckater
12-12-2009, 02:19 PM
I would say it is a shame but that would be dishonest.
I would say good luck with next project but would not mean it.
I will say this should be a warning to all new sites that they have to bew careful on how they run there sites as there are so many out there people have plenty of choice, you are providing a service. Yes you do need to put a lot of work and effort in to it for it to work.
But at the end of the day treat it as a hobby and chill with it not try and be better than any one/every one else.

cap87
12-12-2009, 04:21 PM
Just the other day i said this site wouldn't last long, but this quickly?

Great!

anon
12-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Right now there are two new threads and another page on the restrictions one that are basically "don't shut the site down". I'll keep you informed.

susiserken
12-12-2009, 05:12 PM
Im guessing his pay 2 leech plans failed bigtime :lol:

nethawk
12-12-2009, 06:26 PM
btw, how many donors did they end up having? Less than 200?

anon
12-12-2009, 06:28 PM
btw, how many donors did they end up having?

From their stats:
Total Spots: 1700
Spots Taken: 248
Spots Available: 1452

BuglKhan
12-12-2009, 08:05 PM
I don't understand why they thought P2L would work. They offered nothing that other trackers didn't. The only difference is that other trackers don't charge for it.

anon
12-12-2009, 08:08 PM
I don't understand why they thought P2L would work.

First yocto said STN would live on with or without donations. Then site costs became a problem and now there is "no free lunch". :huh:

Felixer
12-12-2009, 08:54 PM
lol, I think this is my first time I heard this "STN" and it's about to close...there're lots more other great/shite sites come and go everyday...

nethawk
12-12-2009, 09:43 PM
btw, how many donors did they end up having?

From their stats:
Total Spots: 1700
Spots Taken: 248
Spots Available: 1452

wow, that wasn't enough donors to pay for one month. No wonder it failed.

McArty
12-12-2009, 10:03 PM
Ohh well atleast he gave the money back
Are we sure about that?

anon
12-12-2009, 10:07 PM
From yocto's post:

No need to send me a pm with your transaction ID as I'm refunding everyones money including previous donors.

Although I'm not sure he means he has refunded the money while writing that, or will do it once the site is closed. In the latter case, there's basically nothing preventing him from not doing so and running away with it.

That and a lot of donors think their 3 euros are well-spent and thus refuse his refund.

Funkin'
12-13-2009, 05:25 AM

Wasn't this whole thing started because he said he could offer the site and the members better security if they went P2L?

lol87
12-13-2009, 07:51 AM
what is the full name of STN?

kurdt
12-13-2009, 11:10 AM
store the net

CPC464
12-13-2009, 11:58 AM
i was banned for stating my opinion about the P2L idea and telling him it would never work.

cap87
12-13-2009, 02:43 PM

Wasn't this whole thing started because he said he could offer the site and the members better security if they went P2L?

:lol:

The guy really doesn't have a clue on how things work.

Rart
12-13-2009, 03:14 PM
My assumption was that he very well knows how these things work; it was just that he spouting a load of bull in order to get people to pay for this P2L tracker, then suddenly shut down without explanation in order to take the money.

Wait a couple days, rinse and repeat.

:dabs:

Duckater
12-13-2009, 04:00 PM
I think he was trying scam and realise he was found out very early on :)

anon
12-13-2009, 04:34 PM

Yes, and when asked about this he made bogus statements of how STN was safe regardless of profitting from piracy, before turning the spotlight to how other trackers weren't. :huh:

Status update: no news from yocto so far. People are starting to upload torrents by themselves to get peer activity back, and an IRC refuge is up.

Cabalo
12-13-2009, 04:37 PM
oh no, not the "refugee" bullcrap again. http://g101design.net/talkpark/Smileys/tpkTwo/facepalm.gif

cinephilia
12-13-2009, 04:42 PM
oh no, not the "refugee" bullcrap again. http://g101design.net/talkpark/Smileys/tpkTwo/facepalm.gif
they found a new family after all :idunno:

jimmyg123
12-13-2009, 09:58 PM
Was this tracker forcing there members to pay? Because if that is so then i have no shame that they shut down. I never was a member. forced donations are for the rich if you have to have a cc to become a member. If a person likes a certain tracker they are most likely to donate.

anon
12-13-2009, 10:02 PM
Was this tracker forcing there members to pay?

Basically, yes. Even if you got invited, you had to pay 3 euro for an "sponsorship", which allowed you to stay on the tracker. They pruned all non-sponsors the first day of this month.

jimmyg123
12-13-2009, 10:12 PM
Was this tracker forcing there members to pay?

Basically, yes. Even if you got invited, you had to pay 3 euro for an "sponsorship", which allowed you to stay on the tracker. They pruned all non-sponsors the first day of this month.

Thanks for the input, Thats was wrong what they were doing I myself would not join a community like that.:)

anon
12-13-2009, 11:14 PM
Everything seems to point at that yocto won't change his mind. A separate forum destined to keep the community together has been created.

pone44
12-13-2009, 11:24 PM
If you had to pay 3 euros to be a member monthly even with a good ratio (if they had one?) then i see why it failed. Is not the type of site I would ever join. The owner must have been broke or greedy as F&*k.

anon
12-13-2009, 11:27 PM
even with a good ratio (if they had one?)

They were ratio-free, you only had to (optionally) seed for 48 hours. Arguably, people that abused this are one of the factors that led the sysop to close down.

Daydreamz
12-14-2009, 08:24 PM
Storethe.net is staying open. It was announced today.

anon
12-14-2009, 08:30 PM
But not under yocto's command:

Well, as most of you have read, heard or otherwise seen. STN was slated for closure on Dec15th. Since the announcment was first made, there has been mixed reactions in the bittorrent community. Today I(Mcface) have spoken with yocto about the future of STN and where to go from here. He has given me the keys to the site, and has allowed me to take it in almost any driection I would like. Now I am full of ideas, but always open to suggestion. I would like to start discussion of the future of STN HERE. Nothing will be changing today. But over the next few weeks, minor changes will be implemented.

pone44
12-14-2009, 08:31 PM
So they can get more donations and shut down after the Holidays? This site will end up failing. Is not right to force donations and how is p2l any safer?

Storethe.net is staying open. It was announced today.

anon
12-14-2009, 08:33 PM
Is not right to force donations

Sure it isn't, but let them realize that themselves. Their tracker, their rules ;)

Daydreamz
12-14-2009, 09:43 PM
I'm a member over there, as you obviously are too anon-sbi. :)

You're right, it'll no longer be under yocto's command. I think it's been put in capable hands though. I don't think they'll shut down after the holidays.

After the initial brewhaha over the sponsorships, the members had more of a voice. yocto was good at including our thoughts in his plans. I think that will continue.

I'm not in the forced donation/p2l debate. I've always gladly given a few bucks to help support sites I like. This was no different to me. I've given more to some and had them close a month later.

anon
12-14-2009, 10:14 PM
You're right, it'll no longer be under yocto's command. I think it's been put in capable hands though.

Agreed. I like that MCFace guy, although we'll need to see if he has enough skill and time to run a full tracker. First of all, he'd need to get the auto-upload bots back up.

After the initial brewhaha over the sponsorships, the members had more of a voice. yocto was good at including our thoughts in his plans.

I'm not sure about that. I suggested him a lot of fixes and feature additions for the tracker, but he ended up implementing none of them. :dry:

Daydreamz
12-14-2009, 11:38 PM
Agreed. I like that MCFace guy, although we'll need to see if he has enough skill and time to run a full tracker. First of all, he'd need to get the auto-upload bots back up.

I like him too. He deserves the shot. I think everything will be up again soon.

I'm not sure about that. I suggested him a lot of fixes and feature additions for the tracker, but he ended up implementing none of them. :dry:

Look at this way, now you've got a fresh face to pitch your ideas to. :D

I hate to sound corny here but I'll leave this thread alone now out of respect for the privacy of STN and our fellow members. You know how we are. ;)

anon
12-14-2009, 11:58 PM
Look at this way, now you've got a fresh face to pitch your ideas to. :D

You're right. I hope I won't be talking to a wall this time :happy:

Slickerey
12-15-2009, 12:38 AM
MCFace is going to get a lot of gray hairs on his head soon. If he doesn't enable all the "good" features that STN had, then all of his users will leave him.

McArty
12-15-2009, 06:12 AM
MCFace is going to get a lot of gray hairs on his head soon. If he doesn't enable all the "good" features that STN had, then all of his users will leave him.
At least is a good start; i know Mcface and the site is better in his hands than in Yoctos.

cap87
12-15-2009, 10:56 AM
Don't know the new owner, but one thing is for sure. If the site continues with the p2l policy, it will fail again :)

Ev0
12-15-2009, 11:08 AM
So STN fails and the Sysops alter ego takes reign of the site.......

Submission
12-23-2009, 11:41 PM
They now have this sorry ass excuse:

It would appear someone hacked/accessed and changed the domain settings as well as other aspects of STN.
I am back in control of the domain now.
I am trying to gain access to the machine, etc. I will post more when I have time or know more.
Yocto

anon
12-23-2009, 11:43 PM
I think that's an explanation for STN's domain name resolving to SCC's IP recently, rather than the would-be site shutdown.

Rart
12-24-2009, 12:14 AM
Have you gotten a refund yet? Or does it still look like the giant scam is most probably is?

Daydreamz
12-24-2009, 12:42 AM
The info some, if not all, of us at STN got last night is that yocto IS a scam artist. This site hijack/hack thing was all a setup by yocto not the new admin and staff. They were duped as well.

We'll see about refunds. It looks very doubtful.