PDA

View Full Version : Security Firm: Windows 7 Less Secure Than Vista

Darth Sushi
12-12-2009, 02:59 AM
http://media.bestofmicro.com/windows-security,8-5-164885-1.pngSecurity Firm: Windows 7 Less Secure Than Vista
by Marcus Yam, December 11, 2009

" Despite the marketing push, Microsoft developers do not try to hide the fact that Windows 7 is an extension of efforts made for Windows Vista.

Windows 7 fixed or improved many of the things people didn't like about Windows Vista, but Raimund Genes, CTO of security firm Trend Micro, has found something that he much preferred in the earlier OS.

Genes said that Microsoft made design decisions this time around that sacrificed security in the interest of usability, mostly because of Microsoft dialing back User Account Control (UAC).

"I'm not saying Windows 7 is insecure, but out of the box Vista is better," Genes told The Register.

"I was disappointed when I first used a Windows 7 machine that there was no warning that I had no anti-virus, unlike Vista," Genes said. "There are no file extension hidden warnings either. Even when you do install anti-virus, warnings that it has not been updated are almost invisible."

"Windows 7 may be an improvement in terms of useability but in terms of security it's a mistake, though one that isn't that surprising. When Microsoft's developers choose between usability and security, they will always choose useability," Genes argued. "

:source: Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-7-vista-security-uac,9251.html

Rart
12-12-2009, 03:21 AM
First people complain that Vista is too intrusive, and now they complain it isn't intrusive enough.

I guess you can never satisfy some people :dabs:

Sporkk
12-12-2009, 04:41 AM
Security Firm: Windows 7 Less Secure Than Vista
by Marcus Yam, December 11, 2009

"I was disappointed when I first used a Windows 7 machine that there was no warning that I had no anti-virus, unlike Vista,"

The issue is that you need one in the first place. Any new o/s should not require you to buy or even use free third party software just to keep your computer usable.

unclemilty74
12-12-2009, 05:34 AM
The computer is usable without these added benefits that people have become spoiled with and taken for granted. I like not having all the extra crap so that I can make my own decisions about what I want. If you're complaining that it doesn't come with it and you are not smart enough to check, then you deserve to get viruses. And you don't get warnings that the virus software isn't updated?? Why is this Microsoft's fault and not the fault of ... say, Norton or McAfee or whoever else? Now, I am anti-Microsoft on most levels, but come on now... a security expert is claiming that the software isn't usable because it doesn't come preinstalled with a program? Shut up and install one yourself... maybe they were issued an injunction or are trying to avoid one a la Internet Explorer.

pone44
12-12-2009, 06:35 AM
Vista was the buggiest OS I ever used. Win7 is way better to me.

turin
12-12-2009, 08:44 AM
I still prefer XP

brilman
12-12-2009, 03:35 PM
I don't know about everyone else but I wipe out most systems (os) and start fresh anyway. Who really wants all that crap that comes bundled?
win 7 works fine (so does xp).

Biggest thing that makes me smile is the point and click that everyone does. (don't read don't do anything but click "ok" then wonder why there systems are all wacked out.

You would think with all the facebooking and tweeting people would learn to read? guess they need someone els to do that for them too

I don't know about everyone else but I wipe out most systems (os) and start fresh anyway. Who really wants all that crap that comes bundled?
win 7 works fine (so does xp).

Biggest thing that makes me smile is the point and click that everyone does. (don't read don't do anything but click "ok" then wonder why there systems are all wacked out.

You would think with all the facebooking and tweeting people would learn to read? guess they need someone els to do that for them too

maphongbax
12-12-2009, 04:09 PM
Well, that guy just want to scare people so they buy his anti virus software.

Eros-x
12-12-2009, 04:37 PM
The only thing i don't like about windows 7 is that i can't use peerguardian cause it's not licensed or some bs

mr. nails
12-12-2009, 06:09 PM
WoW. ppl still complaining? i had no problems with XP or Vista. matter of a fact i'm still using Vista and it's working like a champ. i dumped XP 3 years ago and never looked back. lol, brainwashing is fun. "YOU must keep using XP. Vista is the devil!"

as for Win7. i've installed it on my other pc and it DOES tell you that you don't have an Anti-Virus installed. silly no0bs.

Eargasm
12-12-2009, 11:02 PM
Vista was really buggy until SP2 came out, then it was actually fairly solid.

7 is pretty solid already, mainly due to extensive beta testing by millions of people.

The thing is, Vista had really strong security that was either on or off. If it was on, people complained that it wasn't usable. So in 7 they made things like UAC much more configurable and by default more in the middle ground, so no it's not as secure in that sense but you also don't have to click 5 security confirmation pop-ups every time you want to open an exe.

deichmann
12-18-2009, 10:22 AM
So i should stop using win7 without proper security provided by a firewall, but still, win 7 its just awesome

Xhider39
12-18-2009, 01:12 PM
I use Win7 X64 it works very good sometimes a littles problems but less than XP