PDA

View Full Version : SSD here i come-Need advice

Detale
12-14-2009, 11:47 PM
OK so I'm exhausted doing all this reading on SSD's I have a few questions/thoughts maybe you guys can help me with.

Firstly I'm shopping in the $350 price range
Should I get 2 64GB disks and Raid em or a single 128 GB disk?
Any ideas on recommendations as far as Brand/company to lean towards?
SLC vs MLC???

ATM I am looking at Crucial or Corsair, mostly Corsair namely this one here

Corsair P128 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233087)

Ideas,opinions,thought?? PLEASE HELP!!! My eyes hurt and I'm going insane reading all these reviews like.

ckrit
12-15-2009, 10:10 AM
I like my corsairs, but it should be noted that the P-series is said to suffer from higher performance degradation than anything intel.

Last I checked, the intel ones were still the most popular ones overall.

Also look at this (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/p-ssd-question-post3344039/postcount38). The linked article in particular.

On the topic of SLC vs MLC, the general consensus atm seems to be that SLC is more promising.

Whatever you get, TRIM support is a good thing to look for, anyhow.

Skiz
12-15-2009, 06:53 PM
If you're gonna do it, get the single 128GB. My "C" drive sits at around 70GB used usually, so anything 64GB would surely be too little. That's me anyhow.

Just for the record though, I think it's a waste of money. I just bought a TB drive for $84 and you're buying 128GB drive for $400? For a desktop? Why not purchase a 15,000 RPM drive instead for less than half the price/gig?

If it were a laptop, I'd say go for it. I have an SSD in my laptop and that's b/c I drag it everywhere I go and don't want a rotary drive bumping around inside. But for a desktop? :dabs:

PS - ^Snee, your link is bad.

clocker
12-15-2009, 07:20 PM
If you're gonna do it, get the single 128GB. My "C" drive sits at around 70GB used usually, so anything 64GB would surely be too little. That's me anyhow.

Just for the record though, I think it's a waste of money. I just bought a TB drive for $84 and you're buying 128GB drive for $400? For a desktop? Why not purchase a 15,000 RPM drive instead for less than half the price/gig?

There are no 15k rpm drives.

Also, I think it's a mistake to use the $/GB, "bang fer the buck" logic for all drives.
A storage can afford to be slow and clunky...you'll probably never notice.
Your OS drive(s) need much more speed/low access times and for that, nothing beats the SSD.

I'm looking for a 30GB SSD for my C:.
After nearly a year, my current C: drive has less than 15GB on it.

ckrit
12-15-2009, 07:27 PM
PS - ^Snee, your link is bad.

NOW someone tells me :pinch:

Detale
12-15-2009, 09:27 PM
So any recommendations like?

clocker
12-15-2009, 10:55 PM
I've only got one word for ya, kid...plastics.

Detale
12-16-2009, 02:00 AM
Have you been drinking again Clock? If not, for the love of god elaborate.

clocker
12-16-2009, 03:21 AM
If you didn't catch the reference from The Graduate, well...there's just no hope.

Fuck sakes dude, I know nuttin' about current SSD tech.
That lack of specific knowledge has never deterred me before so...get two of these bad boys (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227393), toss 'em in a RAID0 array and live long and prosper.

Actually, a friend of mine just ordered a pair for himself and is going to do that very thing. Should be pretty fuckin cool.

Detale
12-16-2009, 05:32 AM
I never thought I'd live to see the day. YOU don't know about some computer tech. I'm stunned. The graduate eh. I've never watched it all the way through. i always seem to fall asleep and miss parts of it. Those look good I guess. It's so hard to find a clear cut "better or worse" simple answer about SSD's out there. I guess they're too new.

I am getting it/them for Xmas so I have a few weeks I guess, I'm just burnt out over research. Thanks for the input as always dude, you rock.

clocker
12-16-2009, 05:43 AM
Never watched The Graduate...you're dead to me, dead, I say.

Like any emerging tech, keeping up with SSD- especially trying to factor in price/performance ratio- is absurdly tough.

We looked at those Vertecs and thought, "Crap, $100? Why the hell not?".
I'm mightily tempted meownself.

Skiz
12-16-2009, 06:45 AM
You would know better than me but, Newegg has an entire section for 15K RPM drives.

Home > Computer Hardware > Hard Drives > Internal Hard Drives > RPM : 15000 RPM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010150014%201035507779&name=15000%20RPM

:unsure:

ckrit
12-16-2009, 07:38 AM
Detale:

I can't really say that one drive is the one to get, given that my personal experience only goes as far as my X-series corsair drives (which I'm very happy with).

Like I said, intel drives are generally said to be the bestest when I see people discussing them. Other than that I don't really know.

People used to say that you want indilinx mlcs (if you go mlc at all, people also say slc is better, although I've never seen someone argue that very well, it's all been conjecture IMO), not samsung, and I know TRIM support is a good thing for people with win7, so.

So I guess a hesitant recommendation could be Intel if possible. If not: SLC, or Indilinx MLC (gen 2 if it's an option), TRIM support, or at least a controller promising future TRIM-support. Although without TRIM, a Samsung controller appears preferable (you still want Indilinx memchips, though). And as fast as possible (you don't want to end up with something shittier than a raptor for that price).

Note that that is intended for long term use, indilinx controllers pwn short term and in synthetic benchmarks, afaik.

Other than that, I'd still maintain that Corsair is a good brand, but I don't really have anything against OCZ either.

You would know better than me but, Newegg has an entire section for 15K RPM drives.

Home > Computer Hardware > Hard Drives > Internal Hard Drives > RPM : 15000 RPM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010150014%201035507779&name=15000%20RPM

:unsure:
That's all SCSI/SAS-drives. I know of a grand total of one mobo I've ever considered that had an integrated SAS port, and none with the parallel interface.

In other words, you probably need a controller card for one of those, so the cost you see there isn't the end of it.

Having said that, perhaps clocker should have said 'there are no 15k rpm SATA drives', that's probably what he meant.

clocker
12-16-2009, 12:38 PM
Having said that, perhaps clocker should have said 'there are no 15k rpm SATA drives', that's probably what he meant.
To be honest, it never occurred to me that SCSI shit was even still made.
Along with the controller card cost, don't forget the cables, which are a nightmare in and of themselves.

So, I guess I was technically wrong, my bad, I'll admit it.
That said, you'd have to be one twisted motherfucker to even consider setting up a SCSI rig these days.

ckrit
12-16-2009, 12:56 PM
There are SAS ports that look exactly like a standard sata port on the asus p6t (the orange one or ones). No idea if those require an adapter or something or if sas ports are meant to look like that, though.

Other than that, I agree.

I've got an old SCSI controller card and a 10GB drive or two, but I've never tried them. Grabbed them before they got junked, at work.

Detale
12-16-2009, 02:11 PM
SCSI IS still around!? Damn I thought they went out with Laser disk players :O

Again my mind is getting the better of me. I'm starting to look at Nelhamn setups. For the money I was thinking of spending which has gone up to about $400-$500 range I can get a new CPU,Mobo and Ram in the i5 sector(around $600). Which again I feel is kind of a better value. I know I should prob hold out for an i7 but an i5 is attainable in the next month or so. DAMN me falling behing in computer parts. Again I'm wandering, will this even stop!

ckrit
12-16-2009, 02:36 PM
Serial scsi, even.

Took me like half a minute to figure out you meant nehalems, btw.

Also, general rule of thumb: If using one, max two (the latter only if you don't mind lower bandwidth) graphics cards get something socket 1156. That's the mainstream option, btw.

If you may want to use more graphics cards, or if you wanna try running ram in triple channel, and don't mind a ridiculously expensive upgrade path, 1366 is the way to go. This is the enthusiast option. The first six core desktop processors are headed this way afaik.

The EVGA and high end ASUS mobos for 1366 are sexy as fuck.

On the other side of the fence, usb 3, hydra and sata 3 is, or will be, available for 1156 first.

I know you didn't ask about that, but I'm feeling halpful and bored at work.

clocker
12-16-2009, 02:37 PM
Seriously dude, get a grip.

Put in the SSD(s), do a fresh install of Win7, then play with the PC for a while.
The ask yourself..."What DOESN'T this thing do that it should?"

I'll bet the answer is "Nothing".

Skiz
12-16-2009, 06:49 PM
Oh. :blushing:

Detale
12-16-2009, 07:08 PM
Seriously dude, get a grip.

Put in the SSD(s), do a fresh install of Win7, then play with the PC for a while.
The ask yourself..."What DOESN'T this thing do that it should?"

I'll bet the answer is "Nothing".

You're absolutely right man. You know how I am though. Na I'm going to stick with my current setup and get the SSD's I did some benching with Sandra and I'm still (according to them) in the 70-85% so I really can't complain like.