PDA

View Full Version : The future of torrenting is looking grim

Col. Skillz
12-16-2009, 09:27 AM
I was wondering if anyone else is starting to feel this way. It seems little by little more trackers are getting taken down or harassed by law enforcement agencies, even the private ones.

I figure it's inevitable that piracy laws are going to get stricter and stricter, but how long do you think we have? I'm sure once torrenting is done people will find something else, I wonder if pirating (at least ez mode pirating with little risk of getting caught) will ever disappear (I hope not).

I've got no knowledge in that area so really don't know, but do you guys think the death of torrenting is on the horizon? or do we still have awhile to go? I've been really considering getting a few huge hard drives and keeping everything I download, 1 for games, 1 for movies, etc, because little by little my downloading options are weening away, assuming the recent pattern keeps up.

Thanks to anyone who reads this, maybe you're feeling the same I am (death or ScT and mininova in the same month wtf?), or maybe you know something I don't that's keeping you confident :pinch:

Totti
12-16-2009, 01:44 PM
it still has a while to go.... and if it does go you will always good old mirc to return too

karachidude
12-16-2009, 01:46 PM
if torrenting goes,something else will come up,to cheer us :D

sez
12-16-2009, 02:21 PM
BT does indeed feel shaky atm but lets just wait for 2012 and see what happens.
Warez however will never go away.There is usenet and of course the countless 1 click hosts.

Cabalo
12-16-2009, 02:33 PM
As long as there is the scene , the bt protocol will continue.
And so will all the others, some way older than BT, like ed2k, gnutella, DC+, newsgroups.

anon
12-16-2009, 06:08 PM
I've got no knowledge in that area so really don't know, but do you guys think the death of torrenting is on the horizon?

Not really. Surely some important sites shutting down is a bit scary, but there are great ones (TL, SCC, TV, etc.) that are still alive, and even kind of benefited by allowing "refugee" users to register.

BitTorrent will still be around, just like the older protocols that Cabalo mentioned. Even if they shut down all trackers in the world, there's DHT and PEX. It wouldn't be the same, though.

And regarding the Scene... assuming all ties with them were cut (which won't happen any time soon), there are still P2P release groups and very talented "freelance" crackers out there.

Cut-Copy-Paste
12-17-2009, 11:24 AM
or maybe you know something I don't that's keeping you confident :pinch:

Shutting down of a single tracker leading to birth of dozens of tracker.

TrollinThunder
12-17-2009, 03:15 PM
I don't see the end coming any time soon. It will never be tolerated or accepted in the US or most other countries. Other than the Swedish sites this year and the continual problems with large public trackers, only SCT was allegedly affected by legal problems. SCT was born out of a site that suffered legal problems 4 years ago. I don't see any reason to start panicking.

or maybe you know something I don't that's keeping you confident :pinch:

Shutting down of a single tracker leading to birth of dozens of tracker.

That doesn't seem to have been the case with the Swedish sites or SCT.

The hydra effect is exaggerated.

anon
12-17-2009, 04:56 PM
That doesn't seem to have been the case with the Swedish sites

At least SweDVDR, SweBits, TTi, PirateTorrents and SwePiracy returned after the crackdown...

theguru
12-17-2009, 05:20 PM
i think it will stop sooner or later as internet grows and gets faster they will have to do something..they have too as much as i would like for it to go on forever. Sooner or later you will be able to HD movies games in seconds and when that happens the scence will have to die and they will do everything in there power by monitoring peoples download habits automatically and sending out warnings and simply automatically cutting you off if you don't comply with a possible fine.

It is scary especailly as i live in the UK and it is looking grim here.

kahoona
12-17-2009, 05:54 PM
Hi
"Piracy" in the way that we know it will end in the next 2 3 years. yes. The thing is that we can never be stoped though. We are always one jump ahead. We are billions of intelligent minds connected only loosely and we can find another answer far faster than our oppressors can make laws to stop them. Whenever the Government tools of the industry find a way to shut down one system we find a newer, better, faster one. The sad part is that if the Industry changed its tactics and sold high quality high speed downloads online cheap I would be right there buying them and would probably reduce my downloading. As it stands I will not buy anything from the movie and music industry because of its behavior.

goopka
12-18-2009, 12:24 AM
I can see only two ends to pirating:

1) The industries stop making distributable copies. (I.E. music becomes live shows only, movies stay in theaters where only video camera's can capture them, and TV dies out, essentially ending all home entertainment and making it a "going out" social experience)
2) Production costs exceed income because of pirating and thus the creation and/or recording of music/movies/shows cease.

But really, as long as media stays intangible (digital) then I think it can't be stopped.

Slickerey
12-18-2009, 02:08 AM
BT is never going to end. Anti-piracy corporations will shut down before BT does. Trust me.

theguru
12-18-2009, 09:52 AM
hmm i tend to disagree look at china state they have blocked 500+ BT sites and now the chinese are turning to pirated DVD's because it is next to impossible to download...but then there is usenet and DD... Plus the UK is starting a digital bill soon that will police ISP's or ISP will police us..

xuxoxux
12-19-2009, 05:25 AM
hmm i tend to disagree look at china state they have blocked 500+ BT sites and now the chinese are turning to pirated DVD's because it is next to impossible to download...but then there is usenet and DD... Plus the UK is starting a digital bill soon that will police ISP's or ISP will police us..

China can try with all its might, but it too will not bring down torrent users. And if, and this is a big ass if, it does, then file sharing will just go down a different path. People will continue to share, though the medium might change.

Funkin'
12-20-2009, 06:19 AM
BT is never going to end. Anti-piracy corporations will shut down before BT does. Trust me.

Ok. I won't worry about BT dying out anymore since you say it won't...

captive
12-27-2009, 01:50 PM
torrent days are numbered imo. however much some want it to keep going the big studios have all the money behind them, and in the end it will tell. they will put pressure on US government and they in turn will pressure other countries to fall in line. maybe a few years but the end is deffo comming.

as for scene groups im not so sure how long many of them will find homes, companies they are getting more and more warey of letting sites on their servers, even bandwidth cant be routed for some sites to use.

imo good riddance to it.

long live NG.