PDA

View Full Version : Longest retention

t7hx9k
12-17-2009, 02:40 PM
Speeds don't matter, I only want the longest retention with perfect completion. After doing some research, Giganews had 497 days while Astraweb had 488 days. Is Giganews better in completion also? Is the retention really true, or is it only for certain newsgroups? Is there any other good provider? Please help me start with the suitable provider for my needs.

Beck38
12-17-2009, 04:11 PM
Multi-year user of Giganews... used Astraweb back 'in the day' when a lot of fills were needed... Switched to Astraweb when then went to the $11/month deal... Keep tabs on GN with their minimum deal, only once in 8+ months have I had to use them to 'fill' Astra.

BUT, I've caught both servers (Us and Euro) with minor to massive 'skips' of posted articles. What is interesting is, one will skip while the other has no problems. I would say in the last three months plus or so, that Giga has been having much more problems than Astra, in fact, I haven't had any problems with Astra that, in only a couple cases, weren't 'solved' by used of the Astra/EU server. In that case, I specifically looked at Giga, and BOTH their US and EU servers had the same skips.

And, I might mention that the one other server plant I have 'space' on (usenet-news), had no skips whatsoever, so guess what (?), it wasn't the upload that had the problems, but the Giga servers.

t7hx9k
12-17-2009, 05:14 PM
I'll try out Astraweb with their unlimited $11/month plan. Thanks for the info Beck38. :)

Skiz
12-17-2009, 07:39 PM
I've been with Giganews since July of 2007.

Giganews is by far the leader when compared to Astraweb when looking for the best completion rates; look no further. Retention for the two is similar at the moment:

Giganews - 497 (and climbing)
Astraweb - 488 (and climbing?)

Just look at the threads here on the board if you need further proof of Astrawebs inconsistent completions and speeds. There are plenty of threads about it. You'd be hard pressed to find anything at all regarding issues with GN completion rates.

c0ld
12-17-2009, 08:10 PM
oh look, I found one immediately; http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-general-newsgroups-79/t-giganews-really-screwing-up-last-week-plus-379655

Skiz
12-17-2009, 08:29 PM
And? I didn't say there were no instances; merely that they were fewer than Astraweb threads. :dabs:

I've used GN for 2.5 years and in a bad year, I might find two articles that are incomplete. Maybe.

Compared to Astraweb, problematic threads related to GN are few and far between. That is, at least since their $11 deal started and more folks started using them. I'm not saying it isn't a viable option for folks looking to save money, but don't expect top notch, equivalent results for almost a third of the price.

c0ld
12-17-2009, 09:05 PM
..merely that they were fewer than Astraweb threads. :dabs:

Compared to Astraweb, problematic threads related to GN are few and far between.Not really.

Skiz
12-17-2009, 09:18 PM
Great point.

Well represented.

Rart
12-17-2009, 09:40 PM
Skiz,

At least in the last couple of months that I have really been familiar with newsgroups and looking at these forums, it seems like I have seen multiple threads regarding GN and completion while only seeing 1 or 2 threads on connection issues with astraweb. It may just be me, but I haven't seen any of the issues you mentioned regarding astraweb.

Then again, GN is at least twice as expensive as Astraweb, so is the possible chance of slightly better completion (a couple of files at most) really worth it?

ericab
12-18-2009, 02:24 AM
i agree;
from what ive gathered, giganews is the problematic one... at least in comparison to astraweb.

EyeBaller
12-19-2009, 07:37 PM
There have been a few threads about both, however some of them seem to be also due to user error or some problem on the users end.

Also, I would guess at this point, there are people browsing this forum who are using astraweb than there are using giganews (due to price difference and strong recommendations from most of the active posters), so there's bound to be more posts concerning astraweb.

SonsOfLiberty
12-20-2009, 12:19 AM
I've been getting 400-450 day old stuff from Astraweb of lately, within the week.

zot
12-20-2009, 07:48 AM
And? I didn't say there were no instances; merely that they were fewer than Astraweb threads. :dabs:

I've used GN for 2.5 years and in a bad year, I might find two articles that are incomplete. Maybe.

Compared to Astraweb, problematic threads related to GN are few and far between. That is, at least since their $11 deal started and more folks started using them. I'm not saying it isn't a viable option for folks looking to save money, but don't expect top notch, equivalent results for almost a third of the price.

I would agree that 2.5 years ago Giganews was far above the rest in both retention, completion, and uptime. Giganews was probably worth the extra money back then. 2.5 years ago was also about that same time that Astraweb had some major server crashes, both EU and US, a lot of articles went missing, and download speed was slow because their lines and equipment were tied up trying to move articles between server farms to replace the damaged/missing ones. Those were bad times for Astraweb, but they were not alone. Usenetserver was also having regular problems those days also. Newshosting, while not without it's share of problems, seemed to be one of the few half-decent low-cost providers back then.

I think one problem is that many loyal Giganews *fanboys* are remembering how bad other usenet companies were 2, 3, 4, 5, or more years ago and switched to Giganews to avoid all the hassle and frustration of those other providers. But it's not the same situation today. Astraweb UNS, and Highwinds have definitely improved. In fact, just about the entire usenet provider industry has greatly improved in the last few years -- Easynews being the only notable exception.

People can have long memories, so it might become a matter of whether they're willing to go back to a company that let them down once before, years ago. It seems though that of all the many people who switched from Giganews to Astraweb over the last year or so, a lot more are glad they switched than are sorry.

Just one last thing -- anyone who thinks Giganews never has any problems should read this bitchfest on DSL Reports: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21486187-Giganews-retention-going-down

Wwwildthing
12-22-2009, 09:35 PM
When your ISP carried newsgroups, they were provided by Giganews.

c0ld
12-23-2009, 08:15 PM

not really.

Wwwildthing
12-27-2009, 09:35 PM

not really.

Yes, really... http://www.giganews.com/outsourcing.html

c0ld
12-28-2009, 02:37 PM

not really.

Yes, really... http://www.giganews.com/outsourcing.htmlSo, you're saying; because giganews is a wholesaler, therefore every ISP uses giganews?

ericab
12-28-2009, 06:21 PM
take it out back guys,

this is way off topic.

SonsOfLiberty
12-28-2009, 08:00 PM
not really.

Yes, really... http://www.giganews.com/outsourcing.htmlSo, you're saying; because giganews is a wholesaler, therefore every ISP uses giganews?

If memory serves, I believe the "major" Internet providers in the US did....I remember a few years back Giganews was offering discount to AT&T/Comcast subscribers since there NG access was being disabled for good....I could've signed up, but the price was still way way higher than compared to Astraweb.

Wwwildthing
01-06-2010, 07:56 AM
I know for a fact that Comcast and Earthlink used Giganews. The point being that if your going to outsource Usenet access, you'd want to go with the provider that has the longest retention and the best completion rates.

So no, it's not off topic... stop being an ass.

ericab
01-06-2010, 11:22 AM
I know for a fact that Comcast and Earthlink used Giganews. The point being that if your going to outsource Usenet access, you'd want to go with the provider that has the longest retention and the best completion rates.

So no, it's not off topic... stop being an ass.

umm...
...well yeah it is off topic.
this thread is about retention; not about what ISP uses whom, for newsgroup access.

*you* stop being an ass.

Wwwildthing
01-06-2010, 04:43 PM
Ok, I'll simplify it for you.

Giganews is up to 517 days. Everyone else has less.

Happy now?

whiteboy
01-07-2010, 01:06 AM

Happy now?
Well Astraweb has 508 days retention, compared to giga's 517. Giganews is $24.99 and Astraweb is $11 a month.

Pretty much a no brainer there.

Wwwildthing
01-08-2010, 02:56 AM

Happy now?
Well Astraweb has 508 days retention, compared to giga's 517. Giganews is $24.99 and Astraweb is $11 a month.

If you work for minimum wage.

hdjunky
01-08-2010, 06:12 PM
Well Astraweb has 508 days retention

Oh yah! 508 days of retention where anything over 200 days and under 300 is unusable and unrepairable as well as stuff over 450. No brainer there! :D

Wwwildthing
01-08-2010, 10:21 PM
I just gave NewsDemon a 2 month spin and only had one incomplete... the file was hosted on an Astraweb server.

In the 10 years I've used Giganews, there have been NO incompletes. Which of course, just verifies what I said earlier about outsourcing... if you were going to do that, you'd want the most reliable source.

So yea, it is relevant. Your opinion regarding it isn't.

ericab
01-09-2010, 01:01 AM

@Wwwildthing,

that's the most ridiculous thing i've heard, as well as insulting to a majority of members active here in the newsgroups forum. youve made yourself out to be quite the asshole.

with your line of thinking; i wouldnt be surprised if your were a salesman for MONSTER Cable ---> http://www.monstercable.com/

---> http://www.lockergnome.com/griffin/2008/04/13/the-monster-cable-scam-100-cables-vs-5-cables/

EyeBaller
01-09-2010, 06:15 AM

I could quite easily afford giganews (vs astraweb), no question about that. However, just because you can doesn't mean you should. Ever heard of value for money? 10 more days retention for over double the cost. Or, 0.02% more service for over double the cost. I'd say "do the math" but I just did it for you.

Oh yah! 508 days of retention where anything over 200 days and under 300 is unusable and unrepairable as well as stuff over 450. No brainer there! :D

No problems with stuff in the 200-300 day range here, and just today grabbed something 452 days old without difficulty.

I just gave NewsDemon a 2 month spin and only had one incomplete... the file was hosted on an Astraweb server.

In the 10 years I've used Giganews, there have been NO incompletes. Which of course, just verifies what I said earlier about outsourcing... if you were going to do that, you'd want the most reliable source.

So yea, it is relevant. Your opinion regarding it isn't.

It's really not relevant. When comcast used giganews to provide newsgroup access to its customers, not only were you limited to 2gb a month a month (IIRC), but you only had restricted access to binaries (again IIRC it was around 60 days - definitely no more than 90), not the full retention that Giganews was offering "paying" customers on it's site at the time. With such limited access, the retention/completion over 100 days wouldn't matter, and is therefore not really relevant.

SonsOfLiberty
01-10-2010, 04:24 AM
Why would you pay more for Usenet? I mean, people using Astraweb (well you should have already figured this one out), are doubling par2 creation, so in turn if you need the extra grab em', if not delete them before you download, problem solved :) I'd had to grab TV shows in the 200-300 day range, because I forgot to DVR, but they cam fine, I really thing this issues of in completeness is all a fluke, because there age ranges are seemingly the same time major "issues" ocurred, and well it seems if you just change to another server, the files will be fine.

Wwwildthing
01-11-2010, 11:30 PM
What most of the 'newcomers' to Usenet don't realize is that... what you pay, isn't as important, as where you subscribe.

Astraweb claims to have their own servers (i.e - they are not a reseller), if that's true, then they're the only provider (in my 10 years of Usenet experience) that have 'incomplete' nzb's.

I've never had one with Giganews, or any of their 'resellers'.

If you can only afford (or are only willing to pay) $11 a month for access, so be it. But stop trying to tell us (that know better) that Astraweb is the best.

If money is really an issue, NewsDemon has an unlimited $10.95 account (http://www.newsdemon.com/discount-usenet.php/?affiliate_id=10126634)... they're a Highwinds reseller.

EyeBaller
01-12-2010, 01:03 AM
What most of the 'newcomers' to Usenet don't realize is that... what you pay, isn't as important, as where you subscribe.

Astraweb claims to have their own servers (i.e - they are not a reseller), if that's true, then they are the only provider (in my 10 years of Usenet experience) that have 'incomplete' nzb's.

I've never had one with Giganews, or any of their 'resellers'.

If you can only afford (or are only willing to pay) $11 a month for access, so be it. But stop trying to tell us (that know better) that Astraweb is the best.

If money is really an issue, NewsDemon has an unlimited $10.95 account (http://www.newsdemon.com/discount-usenet.php/?affiliate_id=10126634). According to the info I have, they're a Highwinds reseller.

Firstly, I never said Astraweb were the best. I said they were best value for money. You can argue the same for Newsdemon or the others that are hovering around that price - better value for money.

Secondly, I really don't know what you tried to download that's incomplete from Astraweb. I haven't had anything that is incomplete (or unrepairable) with Astraweb in the 1-2 years I've been using them.

Again, each to their own in terms of what you want to pay (it doesn't have to be an issue about what you can afford, I don't know why you keep making that point), that's what the forum is for, people to give their opinions for both sides.

zot
01-12-2010, 02:41 AM
Many people prepaid for Astraweb's 1-year plan @$8/month, so they're locked in. But that need not be a problem even for anyone getting unrepairable incompletes -- all it needs is to set up the newsreader with a 2nd backup server (the first backup server being Astraweb's *other* EU or US server). A newsreader such as Usenet Explorer lets you assign a priority (choice of 5, either flexible or strict) to each server in the list, saving the more expensive services for last. .

For those people committed to Astraweb who are experiencing incomplete files, I recommend getting a $3/5GB Blocknews or Usenet-News block account and setting it up as secondary (fill) server -- an inexpensive solution that should solve the problem for good..

I have not run into any of these supposedly-epidemic incomplete files on Astraweb (I don't download HDTV or Bluray) but even so, I could just get the missing parts from one of my other 2 block accounts. But first I'd want to see if switching off SSL or reducing the numner of connections makes a difference. Although I could easily do it, I chose not to set up backup servers in the newsreader because I prefer to know when articles go missing, so I can experiment to find out if the problem is on the server end (& both UE & US servers have the same parts missing) or a result of dropped packets due to a poor connection/SSL malfunction.It seems there's been no public comment from Astraweb on this topic of incompletes, has anyone sent in a support ticket and got a reply?

reg036
01-16-2010, 09:18 AM
are remembering how bad other usenet companies were 2, 3, 4, 5, or more years ago and switched to Giganews to avoid all the hassle and frustration of those other providers.
Man I feel old......my GN account has been active for ten years now....oh yeah that 90 day retention was great back then, using agent to scroll through endless headers to find the gems out there... back to now........retention over 300+ is kinda norm, pick whats in your price range and stick to it, though GN will give you extra downloads for time with them. HTH

Beck38
01-17-2010, 02:40 AM
I'm not completely sure as to GN on this, as with the lowest account level there one really doesn't have access to the complete server - although I do have access to a GN powered search server through my News Rover account...

BUT, to get to the point, I completed (with no errors or skips) an nzb that had articles just older than 492 days on Astra yesterday. Actually, I was pretty sure that I'd hit something 'missing', but no! However, the GN search server couldn't come up with any pieces of it whatsoever. But I really don't know if it really was completely 'rolled off' on GN.

That is pretty ridiculous! 500 Days...! It wasn't that long ago that 6 months or even a year was really something, now they're heading toward TWO years of retention.

Of course, what it means is, we (read: 'I'), can put things off and off and off....