PDA

View Full Version : Noob's guide to usenet

Rart
12-13-2009, 01:59 AM
I think the number one problem with usenet at the moment is that it seems far too daunting for new users. Even with guides, the massive amount of terminology and programs are a lot to take in, even for someone experienced in filesharing. I'll try to keep this guide as short and to the point as possible, so hopefully even a complete idiot can understand it :whistling

The three things you need to start using Newsgroups:

Newsgroup Provider
Client
Indexer

Newsgroup Provider:
Essentially a massive collection of servers that automagically download everything uploaded to usenet, and then allow you to download it from them. Three things to look for:
Retention: How long the files are kept the servers.
Connections: How many threads you can download from simultaneously. Usually 10 is good enough to max a home connection.
SSL/TLS: Whether they allow you to use an encrypted connection or not.

Some examples:
Astraweb, Frugal Usenet, Usenet.farm, etc.

Client:
Simply a program that provides a GUI and connects to the server so you can download your desired file from it. When you DL a file, it will come in RAR and PAR archives. RAR archives contain the files you want, and if they are incomplete (servers store 100(1000?)s of terabytes every day, somtimes they screw up), the PAR archives are used to repair them. The great thing about these programs is that they will automatically repair the files if need be, automatically extract them for you, and then delete the archives. Pretty neat, huh?

Most of the settings for different clients, so for the sake of brevity I'll let you play around with them. Some things to pay attention to would be the maximum download speed, and where you wish to have the files extracted to.

Finally, the most important thing is setting up your client to connect to a server (namely your provider). You will need to obtain the server address and the username and password that your newsgroup provider gives you. You will also want to specify a different port number if you wish to DL from SSL. Finally, you can specify the number of connections you want to use.

Some examples of clients:
SABnzbd, NZBGet, Grabit, Alt.binz, Newsbin

I personally recommend SABnzbd, it is very lightweight and free as well.

Indexer:
This is just where NZB files are indexed. The indexer just helps you find files, and technically you don't really need one, but to not use one is far more complicated and technical. There are two main types of indexers:

Auto Indexed
Sites such as NZBindex, Binsearch, and Supersearch are auto indexers. This means it automatically indexes everything posted on usenet, including the spam. Similar to public torrent sites, while the selection is far more extensive, there are always the spam, fake and dupe posts that you must watch out for.

User Indexed
Sites such as FST, NZBs.org, DOGnzb and nzb.su are user indexed. That means that actual users hand pick the NZB files that are verfied and legit, and index them on the site. Similar to private torrent sites, you can be assured the validity of the files. However, indexers are human and won't index everything, so you can't be assured the breadth and variety you would see on auto indexer.

Here is a collection of indexing sites: 481416

NZB files
These are handy little files that have made it far easier to download from usenet. I'm not exactly sure of the technical aspects, but rest assured they have made usenet a far more user friendly experience. When you download from an indexing site, it'll create a .nzb file that will direct the client to the correct files, similar to a .torrent file. Just download the file, open it in you client, and voila! Your set and your client will begin downloading, easy as pie.

And now you're good to go! You know everything you need to know to start using usenet. :happy:

Skiz
12-13-2009, 07:03 AM
I didn't read it from start to finish but it looks good. Well done. :)

Stick it.

TrackerDaddy
12-13-2009, 11:55 PM
Certainly well done :yup:

MultiForce
12-23-2009, 03:12 PM
That's a nice little guide that should give ppl a fast start.

tesco
12-25-2009, 05:30 PM
Very well written, explains all the basics.
Wish I had something like this when I first started with usenet.

Cabalo
01-22-2010, 05:51 PM
As an (again) newsgroups newbie, I must say this guide perfectly and clearly explains all the basics.
Good job.

bonkers
01-22-2010, 07:27 PM
thats a very good easy to follow guide i could of used that when i first started 3 years ago would of saved a lot of time googleing everything i wanted to know seems to be there

graywolf
01-23-2010, 03:45 PM
Thank you. It cleared many of my doubts regarding usenet. :)

frob99
03-09-2010, 01:40 AM
In the early days I used newsgroups but I've never tried usenet - always felt kind of intimidated. This into has helped and I might try to give it a shot. Hopefully it won't be overwhelming - I understand that there's literally tons of stuff. Maybe that's why i feel intimidated - how to sort through it all to find what you're looking for. Any suggestions on that? Thanks....

Radiculous
06-15-2010, 02:57 AM
Thank you so much for clearing some thoughts I have on using newsgroups, It has indeed been quite intimidating for me especially all those headers. haha i just get so confused. :) this has shed some light on the subject matter. :) Thanks Rart

wildgoose1uk
07-30-2010, 08:10 AM
Great guide - Just wish I had seen it a year ago when I started using usenet!

smiffytheref
08-06-2010, 07:59 PM
hello everyone. i am new here.. so please wouid like some help to some questions, if poss.

1..i want to start downloading films and music.. please tell me what are the best sites to do that from..
2..i want to get away from limewire. thats the only place i get my music from.so wouid be greatful if you can tell me best place to down load from.
sorry if i sound a little green. to all this but being new i know someone out there will be able to help..

RasToRizE
08-08-2010, 11:30 AM
Great guide - Just wish I had seen it a year ago when I started using usenet!

lol +1
good idea though,, useful, ty

mjmacky
08-20-2010, 05:50 AM
Testimonial
I used this guide to get myself setup, of course it was a stepping stone to look at all the options out there. So thank you very much Rart!

By the way, my starting combo was
Giganews (provider)
Alt.binz (client)
NZBIndex (indexer)

And it's working out great so far

EDIT:
Since I've had some time with it, I've settled on Astraweb as my provider and usually use binsearch.info as my indexer. Have had no need yet to acquire a backup provider. Giganews was just too expensive for me.

NinjaDMP
09-02-2010, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the guide bro, it's a nice breakdown and exactly what i needed for an overview.

hulabula
09-18-2010, 11:54 AM
Thanks. I was always curious what usenet was about.

cableguy25
09-21-2010, 04:03 PM
Well done newsgroups are great if you know how to use them and this post has some really good information for new users.

spongeduckie
09-22-2010, 03:43 AM
This came in really handy...I was actually gonna ask if I couldn't find any info on this. Thx!

modles
09-22-2010, 06:32 PM
Nice guide, thanks!
Just wanted to mention - there are free news servers around that provide free access to the newsgroups. So, if one doesn't have a provider - do some search, and you are in busuness:)

dmace1
10-22-2010, 11:02 PM
Good info. I am totally new to newsgroups, so this helps alot.

If I d/l from newsgroups is that more secure? Is it it private, as opposed to d/l from Pirate Bay? Thx

anon
10-22-2010, 11:06 PM
If I d/l from newsgroups is that more secure? Is it it private, as opposed to d/l from Pirate Bay? Thx

Usenet is much more secure than TPB in about every aspect.

mamado
10-27-2010, 08:01 PM
Thank you. It cleared many of my doubts regarding usenet.

coludito
11-04-2010, 01:50 AM
Well. i read your guide. but still i don't know how to burn to dvd. i download windows 7 in 3 different versions. The first file say: alt.binaries.b4e(windows 7 dream edition) 2.97 gb.- - - the second file alt. binaries.boneless2.6) GB. ....and the third Bie 7u861010.part46(incomplete)RAR....the fourth file is FILE MASTER ( empty) what i do with this .. when i download windows 7 home edition from a link, i just transfer to my dvd burner y zap..ready. please i need some advise, but step by step because i just start to learn about this.thank you.

link2009
11-04-2010, 03:52 AM
Well. i read your guide. but still i don't know how to burn to dvd. i download windows 7 in 3 different versions. The first file say: alt.binaries.b4e(windows 7 dream edition) 2.97 gb.- - - the second file alt. binaries.boneless2.6) GB. ....and the third Bie 7u861010.part46(incomplete)RAR....the fourth file is FILE MASTER ( empty) what i do with this .. when i download windows 7 home edition from a link, i just transfer to my dvd burner y zap..ready. please i need some advise, but step by step because i just start to learn about this.thank you.

I am not exactly sure what you mean by you got 3 different version of Windows 7.

From what I gather, you've downloaded 3 different version of Windows 7 and don't know how to burn the disc...

If you have multiple RAR files, use WinRAR to unrar them. Then you can use an application such as ImgBurn to burn an image file (iso, bin etc...). If not, just burn the disc.

Oopsies49
11-19-2010, 03:25 AM
I'm glad I found this guide.

UltraSeed
11-24-2010, 11:01 PM
Thank you for all that information!
I seen more intelligent ... Thank you

teflon05
12-18-2010, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the info. Been using torrents for 6+ years & never really tried the newsgroup/nzb thing before. I'm giving Astraweb & NewsLeecher a try...seems to be working out pretty well.

iSam
12-30-2010, 04:46 AM
Perfect and easy guide. It's really simple and i've read it while i was still just a guest but now it's time to thank you for this great effort

Thanks alot.

worldpease
01-10-2011, 01:11 AM
Yeah I agree, I just did made my first (successful) trial download from Usenet using another guide in the web,
but then I came here to see what more useful info I could find
and I read your guide, it really puts it all on perspective, so simple, thank you.

squall3031
02-20-2011, 06:27 PM
Thanks for this useful guide. I now know more about accessing newsgroups. :)
CHeers

kledder
04-15-2011, 02:27 AM
Thanks. Info was very helpfull. I was already using newsgroups every now and then but I never actually knew about the differences in indexing sites.

diamondzul
04-26-2011, 06:40 AM
very well content
thanks 4 sharing with us

infwb970
05-27-2011, 03:08 AM
GoodPostThank you

polinfst
06-04-2011, 11:08 AM
Very good post, I was really searching for this topic, as I wanted this topic to understand completely and it is also very rare in internet, that is why it was very difficult to understand. Thank you for sharing this

LazyGuy
10-19-2011, 10:58 AM
okay i have got myself Newsleecher 4 final
now i want to download something from FST NZBs
so i DLed the .nzb file and trued to start the Download but it shows some error

do i need to specify the server name, username, password?
if so what are they?

anon
10-19-2011, 12:43 PM
if so what are they?

Of course you do. Your client won't know where to download the files from, otherwise.

For a test ride, you can use this (http://just4today.net/) on an NZB less than 10 days old. Then you can read the XS Usenet and Binload threads in this section to know about better free servers (Binload stopped accepting new registrations, however). There are also some other ones in the IPv6 Internet if you're willing to deal with tunnelbrokers and such.

LazyGuy
11-07-2011, 05:39 AM
if so what are they?

Of course you do. Your client won't know where to download the files from, otherwise.

For a test ride, you can use this (http://just4today.net/) on an NZB less than 10 days old. Then you can read the XS Usenet and Binload threads in this section to know about better free servers (Binload stopped accepting new registrations, however). There are also some other ones in the IPv6 Internet if you're willing to deal with tunnelbrokers and such.
Thanks, i am making do with XSusenet and Sabnzbd+ and FST combination
turns out that the file is 544 days old and has multiple missing articles
even though XSusenet claims 600 days+ retention (maybe just header retention)
so gonna get that from FLRO the traditional way
Newsgroups seem to be fun and painless if the posts are less than a year old, but not so much if older
are users allowed to post requests for specific NZBs?
p.s.
xsusenet is giving errors after some time and stopping the downloads for the free "Lifetime" accounts
so registered a new one and am continuing without problems

anon
11-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Thanks, i am making do with XSusenet and Sabnzbd+ and FST combination
turns out that the file is 544 days old and has multiple missing articles
even though XSusenet claims 600 days+ retention (maybe just header retention)
so gonna get that from FLRO the traditional way

Newsgroups seem to be fun and painless if the posts are less than a year old, but not so much if older

You get what you pay for. Paid servers retain files for much longer, can be over 1000 days from what I've read.

LazyGuy
11-07-2011, 05:51 PM
can i or anyone request a specific game/movie to be re-uploaded at FST NZBs?

johhny
11-07-2011, 07:45 PM
read this :the-how-to-geek-guide-to-getting-started-with-usenet

http://www.howtogeek.com/71315/the-how-to-geek-guide-to-getting-started-with-usenet/

waterMellons
01-14-2012, 06:33 PM
Why would someone choose Newsreaders of Torrenting? Faster DL? No Ratio? More secure?

anon
01-14-2012, 07:23 PM
Why would someone choose Newsreaders of Torrenting?

I think there's a missing word there.

Faster DL? No Ratio? More secure?

Yes, pretty much. As long as the file is on the server, fast speeds are guaranteed. And you don't have to upload back.

waterMellons
01-15-2012, 04:29 PM
Instead. :P

How is using a newsgroup more secure?

anon
01-15-2012, 05:16 PM
How is using a newsgroup more secure?

you don't have to upload back.

There you go.

waterMellons
01-18-2012, 07:32 PM
you don't have to upload back.

There you go.

I'm sorry, I am still new to all of this.

How does uploading create more vulnerabilities than downloading?

Either way (torrenting and newsgroups) your IP can be logged, correct?

How about ddl, is that any safer than these other 2? (Safer as in your single IP is less noticed and less likely to be linked to such activities)

anon
01-18-2012, 08:10 PM
I'm sorry, I am still new to all of this.

How does uploading create more vulnerabilities than downloading?

Either way (torrenting and newsgroups) your IP can be logged, correct?

In BT you create connections and upload to many users, increasing the chances one of them is a bot from the copyright companies logging your activity. In Usenet you only connect to the server.

How about ddl, is that any safer than these other 2? (Safer as in your single IP is less noticed and less likely to be linked to such activities)

For a downloader, DDL is about as safe as Usenet, I'd say - probably depends on each hoster's privacy policy, but very safe in comparison to using public trackers or the larger private ones.

ayesha14
02-18-2012, 11:33 AM
Thanks for information

zevmeister
03-05-2012, 02:46 AM
Short, sweet and to the point. Thanks for sharing.

lorraine02
03-21-2012, 07:51 AM
well done , thank you sharing good thoughts with me !

Joshjor
05-14-2013, 07:56 PM
Very useful tutorial. Thanks

rojames30
07-07-2013, 10:47 PM
hello Guys. I'm new to this site

Blast
07-28-2013, 08:07 PM
nice guide , thanks .
but i am looking for a free client for usenet . :P

anon
07-28-2013, 08:09 PM
nice guide , thanks .

http://sabnzbd.org/

Blast
07-28-2013, 09:06 PM
nice guide , thanks .

Thanks a lot .
how to use and fill form after installation sabnzbd , is there any guide link ?

piercerseth
07-28-2013, 09:07 PM
nice guide , thanks .

Also, http://altbinz.net/

anon
07-28-2013, 09:20 PM
Thanks a lot .

Look here (http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/445903-The-Complete-Guide-for-Setting-Up-SABnzbd-Sick-Beard-CouchPotato-and-Headphones). :)

Blast
07-28-2013, 09:39 PM
Thanks a lot .

Look here (http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/445903-The-Complete-Guide-for-Setting-Up-SABnzbd-Sick-Beard-CouchPotato-and-Headphones). :)

Thanks a lot ,
actually i don't have premium account of usenet server , that's the problem .
so , is there any free usenet server info for host details etc .... ? :)

anon
07-28-2013, 09:58 PM

Well, yes, there are ways to get free access. Do a little search in the forum and you'll find some ;)

Blast
07-29-2013, 05:50 AM

Well, yes, there are ways to get free access. Do a little search in the forum and you'll find some ;)

Do u mean trial ?
I am a newbie for it and i tried but i could not find it .
could someone plz help me ?

Superdude12
09-12-2013, 08:44 AM
Another Great info .. Thanks for the information .. i am new in this forum and i am grad that i found it.. Seems ppl are helpful here .. I will also try to share my knowledge soon .. thanks ..

colombianino
09-21-2013, 06:19 PM

Do u mean trial ?
I am a newbie for it and i tried but i could not find it .
could someone plz help me ?

here's a link for you. it's not the same as if you were paying (faster speeds mostly) but you get to use it for free.
http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/454438-Usenet-4-f*r*e*e

one of them is also unlimited, just read over it.

douche
09-28-2013, 07:59 AM
Hello all!

I downloaded a movie but there is no file extension. Winrar, hjsplit, and 7zip doesn't recognize the files.

The ext is just numbers like .99 .98 .97

piercerseth
09-28-2013, 10:45 AM
Hello all!

I downloaded a movie but there is no file extension. Winrar, hjsplit, and 7zip doesn't recognize the files.

Run the included par2 file with either multipar http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA021385/ or quickpar http://www.quickpar.org.uk/
It'll rename the files and then you can use your program of choice to unpack the set.

EDIT: Can we get this stickied or something? I get asked this question way too often.

EDIT2: Thank you mods.

douche
09-28-2013, 03:33 PM
Hello all!

Thank You! I DL multipar and that did the trick. I have downloaded these kinds of files before and quickpar usually renamed them but for some reason quickpar didnt work.

rhyz66
09-29-2013, 02:34 AM
I downloaded LT3-FLT on here and every file that needed repair would not rename themselves no matter what i did with multipar or my altbinz client.. I then decided to download it again the parts that needed repair and everytime manually changing the file name as it came in because it did register in the par2 part of altbinz allowing me to see the parts name (yet still would not change in my explorer) but after 3 hours of waiting for parts to decode because of missing parts, and changing the name everytime (meaning i had to wait on every file because if it all decoded at once i couldn't see what it was supposed to be named) it flat out failed to repair itself regardless of me changing the files to the correct name and having over 2000 spare blocks for repair.....
Nightmare really...

So if these odd numbered files that need to be renamed require repair, does that mean they wont rename putting you in the same boat as me then?

MysticRiffs
09-30-2013, 01:34 AM
You need to turn off the auto repair feature temporarily, or you'll be fighting your client for the naming rights of the files in question. QuickPar/MultiPar should be fine to do its job, then, if there's no client monitoring the folder. If Multipar still doesn't find everything (it happens), click the Add button, select any old file, then hit CTRL + A to select everything. Click Okay, and let it scan through again.

Note, sometimes this will leave left over files with the original file name, although everything else appears successful. This is normal and those files can be discarded safely, after you've extracted normally.

junghansmega
10-13-2013, 03:06 PM
I am completely new to this. I downloaded, ran multipar and now it says: 89.2% loss. 1761 additional blocks needed. Now what?

Chimaera-
10-14-2013, 07:08 AM
Well that means you dont have enough blocks/parts to unpar them, have you looked and see how many pieces it says on the site you got it from to see if it matches how many you have?
Try and find all the missing bits to unpar them

piercerseth
10-15-2013, 04:54 AM
junghansmega: Without knowing your provider and assuming you grabbed your nzb from here, anything with that kind of loss % is going to be irreparable. Here's your 2nd lesson regarding usenet: get a block account.

nrdani
11-30-2013, 02:09 AM
For FLT releases, you can use WinRar, just browse the dir, select the flt-xx.001 file click extract and it'll do the trick.

crusadyr
01-19-2014, 03:57 AM
thanks

bearbutt
01-19-2014, 03:57 AM
Thanks for the info!

crusadyr
01-19-2014, 03:59 AM
how do i get this to work

piercerseth
01-19-2014, 04:05 AM
how do i get this to work
More specific?

cosimo
01-19-2014, 03:14 PM
Thanks for this helpful guide!

Muppetman
01-19-2014, 04:03 PM
Thanks for this.

oldschool56
01-19-2014, 04:06 PM
Thank you!

hoglf
01-19-2014, 04:30 PM
Very good explanation.

neverwake021
01-20-2014, 04:15 AM
Thanks for the guide. Any feedback for using Newsdemon?

kuba2020
01-20-2014, 04:18 AM
Thanks this looks good to me.

jezphillips
01-20-2014, 08:15 AM
Great guide, thanks for the info

alip
01-20-2014, 03:27 PM
This was helpfull :)

rosspelton11
01-21-2014, 12:05 AM
I am curious as to what the technical reasons are for posting files this way. Its odd and it breaks usenet clients from extracting them properly.

kcboi
01-21-2014, 01:48 AM
Thanks for the info

Milkybarkid13
01-21-2014, 02:49 PM
ok thanks for much informations

rlipps4usenet
01-22-2014, 05:05 AM
very helpful, thanks!

ggr2k5
01-22-2014, 09:21 AM
Thanks fro this

lavangbay
01-22-2014, 07:41 PM
Thanks for posting this.

phantom_4s
01-25-2014, 11:13 PM
Yea great guide, thanks for the info!

mrlill
01-26-2014, 12:06 AM
Excellent guide, Thanks :D

torankusu50
01-27-2014, 02:41 PM
excellent guide. thanks for pointing me towards the more trusted newsgroup out there.

d0ns7er
01-28-2014, 07:31 AM
I've been using usenet for almost 20 years, long before par or nzbs made it easy.
So I have to make a second post so I can download nzbs from here again.
And um thanks for the excellent guide that I dont need.:D

Saapa
01-28-2014, 09:27 AM
It's more secure, I dunno. Not too many posters use this method yet.

JJoss
02-01-2014, 07:14 PM
Thanks a lot for the explanation. You made something complicated quite simple.
I found some details that I didn't have in mind 'till now.

fearsparks
02-02-2014, 05:36 PM
I didn't need it, simply because I've been around awhile. But I have to agree, this guide is well written.

nturi
02-05-2014, 03:20 PM
Very helpful

Flavoune
02-07-2014, 08:06 AM
Thanks, much clearer now.

apd
02-07-2014, 08:20 AM
Excellent guide. Thank you

bugger
02-07-2014, 08:31 AM
Simple theory to use NZB software, its whatever works best for you, Newsleecher for me over many years has been good for me, but still use 3rd party par software i find better than the one within the software. I would recomend every one use the trial option first and see how it works for you and then ONLY buy the one your happy with, Dont listen too much to others what they say as it may not work for then but it may be perfect for you. Think about the ppl who vote 10/10 for star wars movie but in my mind its just average 5/10 it does not mean its best thing since sliced bread.

monkey_toy
02-08-2014, 12:40 PM
Fantastic guide. It definitely helped starting up. Thank you.

whitebridge78
02-10-2014, 08:23 AM
Great guide

asivilya
02-11-2014, 09:01 AM
thank you!!!

jtaitt
02-11-2014, 06:31 PM
I personally like the new method. I agree much more secure.

Vespa81
02-13-2014, 10:52 AM
Thanks for this.... Very helpful.

Using SAB nzbd and giganews however looking at a better option than giganews if i can find one. Don't like the limitations.

Rart
02-22-2014, 05:57 PM
Updated the post a little bit.

onsi
02-24-2014, 01:20 AM
The most resumed and precise guide for newsgroups usage I have seen! Good job!

AP1990
02-24-2014, 03:20 AM
very good intro to usenet
thx for sharing

PsychoSunflower
02-26-2014, 06:00 PM
Great info 4 begginers, thanks :)

Splean
02-27-2014, 08:38 AM
Nice and short guide

fsocas
02-27-2014, 02:16 PM
Very helpful intro guide.
Thanks!

Blast
03-06-2014, 03:18 PM
excellent guide ,thanks .
btw someone tell me that where to download full bluray [first on net] from usenet/nzb sites from these groups > LAZER ,SharpHD ,PCH ,oOo ,iFPD etc .... Thanks a lot .

dinohunter
03-07-2014, 03:13 PM
Thank you for this!

deactivated
03-09-2014, 07:12 PM
Wow very informative. Thank you I needed this.

gpthurst
03-10-2014, 04:35 AM
Thanks very much!

notnice
03-11-2014, 01:28 PM
Thank you very informative

dtscript
03-13-2014, 04:57 PM
thx for the guide...very helpful

Kapoios
03-17-2014, 10:27 AM
This made my introduction to newsgroups so much easier thank you very much

Hakzoid
04-02-2014, 09:18 PM
Superb!! It took a short while to get to grips with, but not too long till I cracked it.

Thanks for the advice.

Ruger
04-05-2014, 12:15 AM
I wish we would have had this 10 years ago! Excellent guide..

pktmattyj
04-05-2014, 08:42 PM
hey guys so i don't understand how vpn plays into this. thank for all the other advice!

GirthJohnson
04-11-2014, 12:34 AM
I haven't used newsgroups in 15 years, back when Forte's FreeAgent was the bomb. I thought newsreaders were dead after the advent of Torrents.

Thanks for the intro!

eMoneyBags
04-21-2014, 03:11 AM
Anyway to unpack these with linux?

piercerseth
04-21-2014, 03:33 AM
Anyway to unpack these with linux?
GPar2 http://sourceforge.net/p/parchive/code/
par2cmdline+TBB http://chuchusoft.com/par2_tbb/download.html

mixenzb
06-12-2014, 05:08 PM
Hi

For linux, I use QuickPar running in PlayOnLinux. Works fine.

Gribley
06-12-2014, 06:04 PM
Bit of an advert but newsbin but does all this for you (for Windows users)... I do come from the days of uuencode and base64 and indeed PAR format (no it isn`t same as par2, same idea and came before.. it just didn`t sub-block stuff).

A personal negative on newsbin, it isn`t as good on blocks as quickpar which I find odd as that should make any difference just the par2 block size and number of slices but there you go. You want it fully automatic then that is kind of the way to go. Also if using it remember to assemble incompletes, download the nfo/sfv and other crappy files as these are often included in the par2 set (that is down to the original poster, you have no control over that). This saves a bit of extra download and pointless rebuild for a 500byte file you didn`t really need in the first place.

Newgroups are a fun place to be, thank poop for yEnc/par2/nzb which opened it up to the un-anointed as well as those of use that like an easier experience :)

razorloves
06-12-2014, 08:28 PM
yeah, i haven't had to use quickpar in a long time. Several of the good usenet reader apps take care of this for you.

jeffrysprigg
07-23-2014, 08:55 PM
Nice explanation of the basics. Saved me from making an idiota out of myself in my first post.

Much appreciate! :thumbsup:

http://i.fststatic.com/icons/icon1.gif @johnny, thank you so much for that link: http://www.howtogeek.com/71315/the-h...d-with-usenet/ (http://filesharingtalk.com/external/?http://www.howtogeek.com/71315/the-h...d-with-usenet/)
A helpful person like you kinda makes up for all the trolls I encounter on the net. Much appreciate. Thanks!

Isthmic
07-31-2014, 05:54 PM
could someone gimme a name of a group with DVDrip porns?(i mean ~1GB movies)

Rart
07-31-2014, 06:18 PM
You only want a specific groups name? If you're looking for porn in general Kleverig is pretty good.

Isthmic
08-01-2014, 04:05 PM
erotica isn't better than kleverig?
and in erotica most of dvds are ~5GB just wants to know if there is any group for that

d8onmine
08-03-2014, 05:11 AM
Hi, I'm new to Usenet. Is Frugal any good at 4,99?

Albe_Sure
10-07-2014, 10:40 PM
Thank you for the guide! Very much appreciated! ;)

-A.S.

usenetfreak
10-14-2014, 12:03 PM
http://www.usenetplay.com seems very user friendly ! Go and get yourselfs an invite

Greko
02-02-2015, 01:11 AM
It was a nice read. Hope there is a part two for when a noob get beyond this point.

philquad
02-02-2015, 03:22 AM
try this

http://www.slyck.com/Newsgroups_Guide

filko
02-22-2018, 06:02 PM
Nice guide.

Gremlin
02-22-2018, 11:41 PM
This guide will be useful for something very new to me. I hope to figure it out shortly. Thanks for all this great information.

hannibalx
04-13-2018, 07:14 PM
Thank you for the guide

Thank you :rolleyes:

laro_ye
09-12-2018, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the post.
Now I'll take a look on Block Providers. A friend told me to read about it.
Cheers

GCHodge
09-16-2018, 04:44 PM
I find that http://blocknews.net/ fills in anything missing from Astraweb.

fuxifux
11-13-2018, 12:14 AM
Nice Guide, thanks!

renaudg
02-15-2019, 01:06 PM
Thanks for this guide !

ruhi
02-21-2019, 06:49 AM
Sign into your Usenet account.

Open your newsreader.

Pick a Usenet newsgroup specialist co-op. For instance Giganews, nzb.cc or FindNZB.

Download the record to your PC. Pursuit the document you need to download and click it; it will download onto your PC.

Download the record into your newsreader.

Gribley
02-21-2019, 07:35 AM
Sign into your Usenet account.

Open your newsreader.

Pick a Usenet newsgroup specialist co-op. For instance Giganews, nzb.cc or FindNZB.

Download the record to your PC. Pursuit the document you need to download and click it; it will download onto your PC.

Download the record into your newsreader.

Your heart is in the right place but your instructions are somewhat lacking. dblclickee an nzb and your document that you pursued will download skips a few steps which I`m fairly sure the original poster covered in much more detail

Ignition_Lab
03-06-2019, 12:32 PM
Thanks. I was always curious about what Usenet was about.

zzzerooo0
07-07-2019, 02:12 PM
Thanks, nice guide.

kruneph
07-12-2019, 08:09 AM
Thanks - useful guide!

shoot44
07-13-2019, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the info

BIGtimber
08-30-2019, 03:57 AM
Great guide, thanks!

krampus99
08-30-2019, 05:32 AM
thanks for informative guide

amranmiah121
09-02-2019, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the guide :)

shaina
09-07-2019, 07:34 PM
another post to get my nzb button back....12x already.

Whats the rush?? Stick around and shoot the shit, and you will see your post count go up ;)..

Anyone with "69" in is name and starting off with "Van", well there must be some mystery in that??

anon
09-08-2019, 12:20 AM
another post to get my nzb button back....12x already.

There's a reason why they're getting deleted :sleep:

niplips
09-12-2019, 11:09 PM
excellent. well done.

van69
10-29-2019, 04:09 AM
Yep need to do that

Krael
11-03-2019, 11:48 PM
Thanks for this guide!

Shade1
01-05-2020, 07:15 PM
It sounds like i need to create an account with usenet first

jbond8
01-18-2020, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the guide

Gribley
01-19-2020, 03:56 AM
Hey you didn`t cover base64, uuenc and yEnc :D It is a bit of a lost art now thanks to NZB files, 7bit was the way forward

xdaehak
02-11-2020, 03:37 AM
Thank you for the guide, now i need to find a good provider

Gribley
02-12-2020, 04:08 AM
tweaknews or free-usenet

anon
02-13-2020, 07:14 AM
Hitnews too :P

Gribley
02-13-2020, 09:48 AM
Never heard of them but damn pricey looking at their landing page. I guess they are rather good to cope with that

anon
02-14-2020, 02:38 AM
Someone has to pay for that very abusable, no questions asked three day trial ;)

dcybergeek
06-21-2020, 02:54 PM
Very well written, explains all the basics. Thx!

korbiekwan
08-05-2020, 05:32 AM
Thanks! Useful info to get everyone using usenet.

ziggyjuarez
10-03-2020, 11:08 AM
Got me up and running, thanks.

Sailmenn
12-23-2020, 05:18 PM
I have been using several free NZB indexer, but most do not realy work for me.

Someone has a hint for me?

Ulysses
12-24-2020, 08:26 PM
nzbindex.nl/search and binsearch.info/ These two are pretty stable and long lasting. Luck

Sailmenn
12-26-2020, 11:12 AM
@ulysses thanks I will try them out

Sailmenn
12-28-2020, 05:00 PM
nzbindex.nl/search and binsearch.info/ these are good to start with.
I have also tried https://www.gingadaddy.com, you need to register,
I tried a few downloads but all are missing data.
Not enough data blocks to repair!

shaina
12-28-2020, 11:07 PM
nzbindex.nl/search and binsearch.info/ these are good to start with.
I have also tried https://www.gingadaddy.com, you need to register,
I tried a few downloads but all are missing data.
Not enough data blocks to repair!

If you need assistance??

More information may be required..........

anon
12-28-2020, 11:14 PM
Binsearch used to be good, but nowadays it can't find most of the stuff I want. Still worth keeping in mind... as a last resort. Other decent free (and public) indexers include nzbstars.com and nzbking.com, with the former having a pretty big database.

If you stay tuned to this section, you may also catch the normally invite-only ones sporadically opening registrations.

shaina
12-29-2020, 01:51 AM
Binsearch used to be good, but nowadays it can't find most of the stuff I want. Still worth keeping in mind... as a last resort. Other decent free (and public) indexers include nzbstars.com and nzbking.com, with the former having a pretty big database.

If you stay tuned to this section, you may also catch the normally invite-only ones sporadically opening registrations.

Are you talking to me :unsure:

anon
12-29-2020, 02:13 AM
I was replying to Sailmenn, but you posted first :stuart:

shaina
12-29-2020, 02:23 AM
I was replying to Sailmenn, but you posted first :stuart:

No worries, you know i would only be interested in one anyways, and that you have to check the obituaries to get in there:D

Then i would have the top 3 :sly:

Sailmenn
01-02-2021, 06:20 PM
About https://www.gingadaddy.com, the filse I have downloaded were old >2000days.
Tried to repair them with SABnzbd, response "repair failed, not enough repair blocks(68 short)".
I tried a few recent files, all ok.

@anon nzbstars interesting!

Eyenou
10-02-2021, 12:19 PM
just tried nzbstars.com, it opens up annoying popup adverts

anon
10-02-2021, 06:13 PM
And to fairly abusive levels (one per search), but well, it's a free service.

mrfssd
10-06-2021, 04:42 AM
I just use usernet, seems to be decent.. still have some file issue

freakynzb
10-12-2021, 05:34 PM
Thank you for the tip of nzbstars worth checking it out

oldschool25
10-13-2021, 01:52 AM
NZBindex is good.

harishussain
10-14-2021, 09:17 PM
A nice and informative guide. You need to be a bit clear about indexing.
Thanks, keep it up.

chuubaka
10-23-2021, 04:55 AM
Thanks for the indexers: nzbstars.com and nzbking.com.