PDA

View Full Version : M$ OS w/out buying it?

chinaski
12-26-2009, 10:14 PM
I had been using M$ operating systems for years before shifting to Linux two years ago.
However, sometime I feel the need to install XP for a while - not all the M$-related softwares have an equivalent on GNU/Linux, you know.

So... I do not have an original Windows OS set, every now & then have to d/l those crappy rips with their "30 days of life".

The question is: if I want to d/l the closer-pains-free rip of WinXP, what I shall to choose?
I'm a little bit confused by all those integrated, corporate, home/professional, student and such releases...

Any suggest? Or have you all a licensed, retail Windows OS?

Cheers!

Skiz
12-26-2009, 11:13 PM
The "corporate" version should always be good. I usually aim for the XP Pro versions.

What are you going to use to download the software, or what do you have access to and we can better notify you of what's available to you? Bittorrent? Usenet? Other?

Also, is there any reason why you want XP over 7?

EDIT: This one I have used twice for friends' computers.

Microsoft.Windows.XP.Professional.SP3.Integrated.June.2009.Corporate.Unattended-UP2DATE

or

Microsoft.Windows.XP.Professional.SP3.Integrated.June.2009.Corporate-UP2DATE

chinaski
12-26-2009, 11:21 PM
The "corporate" version should always be good. I usually aim for the XP Pro versions.

Any particular reason?

What are you going to use to download the software, or what do you have access to and we can better notify you of what's available to you?

I prefer torrents, but I don't care about it as we're talking about less than 700 MB ;-)

Hardware limitations, I guess.

Thanks for replying!

Skiz
12-26-2009, 11:33 PM
I like Pro as it doesn't have all the fluff that "Media Center Edition" has, but offers more than the Home edition and was supposedly faster. (I suppose you could your own comparison (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP_editions#Home_and_Professional) if you felt like it.)

These are versions I have used several times that work just fine.

Microsoft.Windows.XP.Professional.SP3.Integrated.June.2009.Corporate.Unattended-UP2DATE

or

Microsoft.Windows.XP.Professional.SP3.Integrated.June.2009.Corporate-UP2DATE

chinaski
12-26-2009, 11:44 PM
found several UP2DATE releases [i mean, monthly]: why choose a "june edition" over a "december" one? just curiosity ;-)

Skiz
12-27-2009, 12:05 AM
The "UP2DATE" releases should all be fine.

I recommended the June release as I've used it and can confirm it works. I'd wager there haven't been any major updates to XP in the past few months tho' so I'd say they are probably comparable. The December one is probably fine.

Tv Controls you
12-27-2009, 03:59 AM
found several UP2DATE releases [i mean, monthly]: why choose a "june edition" over a "december" one? just curiosity ;-)

Use "Windows XP Performance Edition SP3 December 2009" , its hands down the best edition of windows.

The guy stripped everything down to its bear bones and has xp running at 32mb of ram!!!! Not even ubuntu can run that low.

He also takes away unnecessary items that you never use. I have yet to run into something that he took out because they really must have been stupid bloat items.
I run multiple computers on it and it is flawless. Less glitchy then the windows release if you ask me.

I have never used a normal release of windows since my first install of performance edition. It makes even the trashiest computers run like gold.

Some cool features (In my opinion):
1) only 300mb big!!!! wow
2) You can burn it to a cd (which is great for lower end systems that don't have a dvd player)
3) 32mb of ram (come on this is just amazing)
4) Tons of worthless trash that you have to delete when doing a fresh install is removed!
5) Alot of fixes built in (such as halfopen connections, and windows themes pre patched)

Trust me you'll never want to use linux again lol.

peat moss
12-27-2009, 04:02 AM
The "UP2DATE" releases should all be fine.

I recommended the June release as I've used it and can confirm it works. I'd wager there haven't been any major updates to XP in the past few months tho' so I'd say they are probably comparable. The December one is probably fine.

That's the one I just installed but Dec.21 /09

SCENE GROUP: UP2DATE

PRODUCT FEATURES:
- Unattended (Automated Installation)
- Integrated (Updated with Service Packs, Updates, Patchs, Hotfixes)
- December 21, 2009 (Date of Integration)
- Corporate Edition (No Serial/Key Required)
- Great for Virtual Machines as this is extremely light, fast, and perfect for
a virtual testing environment
- Updateable
- Validates
- Tested, Verified, Scanned, and can be Confirmed by RudeBoySes

chinaski
12-27-2009, 04:26 PM
Thanks to all.
By the way, it seems to me there's a way to "assemblate" a WinXP release as much as you like like a GNU/Linux distro.
Isn't it?

Cabalo
12-27-2009, 04:30 PM
You mean, stripping down windows components? Nlite for xp, vlite for Vista/7.
And why the heck you keep referring to that POS winXP ? It's a OS dated from 2001, FFS.

Skiz
12-27-2009, 04:44 PM

Hardware limitations, I guess.

:rolleyes:

chinaski
12-27-2009, 04:45 PM
You mean, stripping down windows components?
Nlite for xp, vlite for Vista/7.

Yes, make it more minimal. Thanks for the tip.

And why the heck you keep referring to that POS winXP?
It's a OS dated from 2001, FFS.

I do not use M$ systems habitually.
It's for my brother's crappy notebook, FYI.

Cabalo
12-27-2009, 05:35 PM
So don't waste time with winXP and try a already stripped down version called Tiny7.
Personally, I don't like premodded OSes, but this can do the trick if you're not willing to waste much time. Runs way smoother than XP in my notebook (meanwhile swapped it to Ubuntu Netbook Remix, and I'm very pleased with it so far. Some minor bugs, but nothing that I couldn't find a workaround)

Tv Controls you
12-29-2009, 05:01 AM
Yes, make it more minimal. Thanks for the tip.

And why the heck you keep referring to that POS winXP?
It's a OS dated from 2001, FFS.

I do not use M$ systems habitually.
It's for my brother's crappy notebook, FYI.

Crappy notebook has xp performance written all over it.

tiny 7 uses 147mb of ram, where as xp performance uses 32mb.. (which is pretty amazing for windows 7)

They are both great options for an os.

Xp isn't really outdated its the most supported os still to date. Windows 7 runs a version of xp in the background to make it compatible.....

I only recommend windows 7 at all if your running a 64 bit system usally.

Xp is alot easier to manage if you ask me and i gaurantee you will not run into any compatibility issues.
Although I run a 64 bit windows 7 on my custom machine and I absolutely love it.