PDA

View Full Version : Help - Best Motherboard for this config???

7th
12-27-2009, 07:52 PM
Hello everyone!

I'm here to ask for help cause I'm thinking of upgrading my computer and I just can't decide about the mobo :wacko:

What do I want to buy?
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz AM3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103692#spec
G.SKILL ECO 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231330

I do like ASUS mobos (never had problems with them) and I read nice things of the ASUS Crosshair III Formula AM3 AMD 790FX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131392

The problem is: at asus' website we read that this mobo uses "ATI CrossFireX™ Technology"
http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=2Y4dQFaJ6gPN18cQ

Does that mean that I wont be able to use my cards on SLI? :wacko: Now I have two nVidia cards and I don't want to replace them to ATI video cards... :huh:

If that's true, what's the best mobo to buy and run this config with my nVidia Cards?

two side notes:
* I don't like Intel processors :P
* I was thinking about buying Corsair memories but they are too ugly :lol:

THANKS!
Feel free to share your opinion about the config, maybe suggest something different, just, PLEASE, don't say that I have to change my video cards :(

Snee
12-27-2009, 08:33 PM
SLi support generally requires an nvidia chipset, or a late model intel chipset (like X58).

Crossfire-support doesn't preclude SLi-support, but unless it's specified it also supports SLi somewhere, you'll probably want to look elsewhere. It ranges from tricky to impossible, enabling SLi on a chipset that doesn't explicitly support it.

ASUS makes cool mobos though.

You could also look at mobos with socket AM2+. They also support socket AM3 cpus, but use DDR2 instead of DDR3. Good if you're on a budget, and have DDR2 you can reuse.

7th
12-27-2009, 09:48 PM
You could also look at mobos with socket AM2+. They also support socket AM3 cpus, but use DDR2 instead of DDR3. Good if you're on a budget, and have DDR2 you can reuse.

First of all, thanks Snee for your answer :)

I'll surely try to find out if this mobo from ASUS supports SLI. ;)

What tricks me is that the Asus' website says that this same mobo but for Intel has something they call "Multi-GPU Technology", that gives support to SLI "and" CrossFireX :frusty:

If not, could you name one mobo that I could by? :huh:

About the AM2+ mobos, it's really hard to find any that will support memos running speeds up to 1600, although I believe memory speeds won't make much difference for my use.

Thanks again for the help... I'm going to download the manual and check what I can find out... :)

Snee
12-27-2009, 10:31 PM
Welp. The chipset you want is probably 980a.

A quick search turned up a few mobos, like the ASUS M4N82 Deluxe, which uses DDR2, and does tri-sli.

But I've a hard time finding anything with SLi-support and DDR3 and AM3.

7th
12-28-2009, 12:04 AM
Welp. The chipset you want is probably 980a.

A quick search turned up a few mobos, like the ASUS M4N82 Deluxe, which uses DDR2, and does tri-sli.

But I've a hard time finding anything with SLi-support and DDR3 and AM3.

The chipset are:
North Bridge AMD 790FX
South Bridge AMD SB750

The 980a would work but only DDR2 :(
gosh, is it so difficult to produce a motherboard to run mems at 1600, a good AMD processor and SLI? :angry:

oh well, thanks again Snee... maybe I should change to Intel...

better than that... I think I'll wait more until upgrade things
maybe they're about to launch a new mobo that will do the "trick"... I hope!

Snee
12-28-2009, 01:51 AM
Maybe this is something for you. (http://www.testseek.com/labs/reviews/review-of-msi-nf750-g55-motherboard/?p=2740)

It's pretty much the best I can do, atm. Only one matching the description I could still find for sale at my usual place.

Note that it cuts the bw in half for the pci-e slots when running two cards in sli, though (x8/x8).

7th
12-28-2009, 02:32 AM
Maybe this is something for you. (http://www.testseek.com/labs/reviews/review-of-msi-nf750-g55-motherboard/?p=2740)

It's pretty much the best I can do, atm. Only one matching the description I could still find for sale at my usual place.

Note that it cuts the bw in half for the pci-e slots when running two cards in sli, though (x8/x8).

Snee, thank you very much for taking the time to search for things and help me... MUCH appreciated, really! :)

I checked the review and couldn't believe you've found that hehe... It's exactly what I've been looking for except for one thing... it has a graphic card integrated, and I don't really like that BUT... if nothing different comes really soon, and for this price, I'll take it for sure :lol:

and thanks again! :D

and the asus mobo does the same :ermm:

Snee
12-28-2009, 06:18 PM
No worries.

And I wouldn't worry about the integrated graphics card, it'll be easy to turn it off through the BIOS.

Heck, I expect it's possible to use it to run a third monitor, or use it as a physx card. It'll be horrible for the latter, though. Helped build a computer with an 8200-chip recently, and we tried both hybrid SLi (paired it up with an 8400GS and later an 8500GT) and using it as a physx-card for laughs alongside a 9600GT.

7th
12-28-2009, 08:10 PM
No worries.

And I wouldn't worry about the integrated graphics card, it'll be easy to turn it off through the BIOS.

Heck, I expect it's possible to use it to run a third monitor, or use it as a physx card. It'll be horrible for the latter, though. Helped build a computer with an 8200-chip recently, and we tried both hybrid SLi (paired it up with an 8400GS and later an 8500GT) and using it as a physx-card for laughs alongside a 9600GT.

A 8600GT is really good for physX so I guess a 8400GS would be quite nice too but I don't think I would be able to leave it as a third graphic card for physX.

Btw, physX is the motive why I don't want an ATI graphic card...

Snee
12-28-2009, 08:30 PM
I'd go with a 9600GSO or 9600GT minimum for a dedicated physx card, 8600GT is kind of weak.

Some guy made a patch so you can use an nvidia card for dedicated physx and an ati card (or cards) for rendering.

Using it now. Two HD5770s in CF + one GT240.

Requires a monitor with both a vga and a dvi input connector (or an extra monitor you don't mind doing nothing with) and an extra vga cable (or dvi cable) to connect the monitor to the nvidia card, the patch, and a set of supported drivers.

I can run Batman AA with physx on high, and fluid mark is smooth and displays it's using hardware physx, so it works.

But since you already have the nvidia cards...why bother?

7th
12-28-2009, 08:54 PM
I'd go with a 9600GSO or 9600GT minimum for a dedicated physx card, 8600GT is kind of weak.

Some guy made a patch so you can use an nvidia card for dedicated physx and an ati card (or cards) for rendering.

Using it now. Two HD5770s in CF + one GT240.

Requires a monitor with both a vga and a dvi input connector (or an extra monitor you don't mind doing nothing with) and an extra vga cable (or dvi cable) to connect the monitor to the nvidia card, the patch, and a set of supported drivers.

I can run Batman AA with physx on high, and fluid mark is smooth and displays it's using hardware physx, so it works.

But since you already have the nvidia cards...why bother?

I don't have SLI here yet... I have a 9800GT and a 8600GT for physX and the 8600GT handles physX really well here...

My monitor is 1920x1600 and I played a little bit of Batman here and it runs well... I don't remember exactly how, but I could check it if you will...

I can play most of the games on max with this config... Just had problems with Crysis but that's normal :P

Snee
12-28-2009, 08:57 PM
My monitor is 1920x1600 and I played a little bit of Batman here and it runs well... I don't remember exactly how, but I could check it if you will...
No need to bother. If you're happy with it, then that's cool.

Good luck with the new purchases and that, anyhow.

7th
12-28-2009, 11:21 PM
No need to bother. If you're happy with it, then that's cool.

Good luck with the new purchases and that, anyhow.

ow, I just meant to say that I was able to run it at that resolution :huh:

well, you helped me a lot Snee, thanks again! :)
I'll wait a little bit more and than I'll close this thread (don't know if I can).

Snee
12-28-2009, 11:29 PM
ow, I just meant to say that I was able to run it at that resolution :huh:

well, you helped me a lot Snee, thanks again! :)
No offense meant :unsure: I was just saying you didn't need to check on my account. What's tolerable quality is generally a subjective experience. I found using anything less than a 9600GSO didn't agree with teh physx.

I'll wait a little bit more and than I'll close this thread (don't know if I can).
You don't have to do that. If you're happy, and everything's been sorted, it'll die on its own I expect.

And like I said, good luck with the purchases. And if you end up getting that mobo, feel free to tell me how it's working out for you. If it's good, I know of at least one other person who might be interested.