PDA

View Full Version : nzb index concern

werth
12-30-2009, 07:47 PM
please dont take this the wrong way. i am in no way chastising anyone, or complaining, simply suggesting something... again- im thankful for all the work everyone does.

soo.. if im looking for something in particular, obviously i will search it. sometimes i like browsing the nzb index though for new stuff- sometimes stuff i dont know about- akin to going to the store and browsing... previously, tower and sons would be the main posters (probably 95%+ of stuff)... usually it's the new stuff ie.. a new dvdrip comes out- its up... a tv show- the next day its up...

it seems now i have to rife through pages of german movies and electohouse music albums to actually browse anything useful.. now i understand not everyone here is from N.A. but frankly i dont think anyone here gives a crap about hollywood movies in german. for the handful of people specifically looking for that can they not take it to a search engine?

Here's a thought- how about the nzbindex split into two- one for new releases... ie.. actual new releases and not old but newly posted items... and a separate for all the random crap from the past thats cluttering the index now.

hope you guys understand what im trying to say and keep up the good work

montwx
12-30-2009, 09:54 PM
I second that.

Rart
12-31-2009, 02:35 AM
I think the mantra of the newgroups posters was "Posting something is better than posting nothing at all", but don't quote me on it.

It would be nice to possibly take a page from torrent sites and have a "Spam" category/filter of some sorts for miscellaneous apps and MP3's. Or perhaps a "foreign/other" category for non-english releases?

iLOVENZB
12-31-2009, 05:46 AM
Poor -ICE- :(

I used to be a tv post whore and race SOL but I'v given up because the view count of some of the eps were low. Now I'm posting what I think will be popular amongst users.

MultiForce
12-31-2009, 12:05 PM
I'm with you on this one. There is too much old stuff here to get a quick overview of whats new.
Shouldn't be that hard to do. Maybe just a tag you put on something new (like we have 1080p) that stays with the release for a week or something, and then it's possible to filter by it in the index.

tesco
12-31-2009, 06:30 PM
New and Old categories, and Foreign categories, is a great idea.
I'd be happy to work those in, but need to think of the best way to do it.

Maybe just add a language option, English, German, Dutch, etc., and then have a filter for language?

The more I think about it the more I realize we should have done this a long time ago.
It would have two benefits. 1) Easier to find content in the language of your choice, and 2) It would attract more people looking for foreign language content.

werth
12-31-2009, 07:40 PM
while a language filter is good. i think old release filter would be better.

i want the first page of the index to be-you know- tv shows from last night that were just upped and new movie releases just ripped.... that kind of thing.

not trying to pick on ice, respect his work upping stuff.. just trying to throw in my 2c.

thanks guys

tesco
12-31-2009, 08:15 PM
Is the correct term for that "0-Day" ?
If so, I can add a "0-Day" option as well as the language option.
If that's incorrect, what is the right term? (and what does 0-day mean? :P)

anon
12-31-2009, 08:18 PM
(and what does 0-day mean? :P)

0-day warez (pronounced as zero day warez sometimes as "0 days") - This refers to any copyrighted work that has been released the same day as the original product, or sometimes even before. It was considered a mark of skill among warez distro groups to crack and distribute a program on the same day of its commercial release.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warez#Types_of_warez

tesco
12-31-2009, 08:22 PM
So is 0-Day the term we want here?

anon
12-31-2009, 08:31 PM
So is 0-Day the term we want here?

I don't have almost any experience with NZBs and newsgroups, but private trackers often divide between spam (apps, music singles, anything else that's smaller than 100MB except TV DVDRips) and non-spam. What do you think about that handling?

Edit: after having another look at the first post it'd seem a "foreign" category may also come useful.

tesco
12-31-2009, 09:02 PM
I'd prefer not to call it spam, that's kinda puts people off of posting it when in fact it's totally useful.

anon
12-31-2009, 09:09 PM
That makes sense. In this case "0-day" would be a better name. I'm personally not used to seeing anything other than apps labeled with that, but it seems the term applies to any kind of content that's made available the same day it's officially released.

MultiForce
12-31-2009, 10:00 PM
The only issue I can see about this one is that if something is upped 3 days after the "official" release it will be old even though it is the first/only copy available on usenet...?

SonsOfLiberty
12-31-2009, 10:14 PM
Language filter is good....maybe a filter "by age" instead of 0-day, 0-day sounds like pure warez, mainly used for applications.

tesco
12-31-2009, 10:26 PM
You mean like Age: new / old?

SonsOfLiberty
12-31-2009, 11:06 PM
Well that could work but was thinking a age bracket, say -0 to say 5 days could be considered new, then 5-20, etc etc, just adding some ideas....maybe it could just a "have" a new tag if it's younger than 2 days, I've looked at some other NZB sites for ideas, but I'm not sure at this point, still thinking :) I don not like 0-day through, like I said that is mainly used for Warez, generally applications...plus wouldn't be good for "search engines to clarify us as Warez", I don't think we are there yet :)

Rart
01-01-2010, 12:08 AM
Would it be possible to have an option to simply sort the NZBs by their posted age on usenet, rather than when they were posted on the site? This would help for when people don't want to see 30 day old NZB's or such on the first couple of pages.

And for the "0day" filter, as anon said a 100mb file size filter could work, or perhaps just filtering music, apps, etc. Although 0day also generally refers to just anything new released, so I'm not sure exactly sure how fitting that name would be.

MultiForce
01-01-2010, 01:26 AM
Would it be possible to have an option to simply sort the NZBs by their posted age on usenet, rather than when they were posted on the site? This would help for when people don't want to see 30 day old NZB's or such on the first couple of pages.

It would help to see what's new on usenet but won't tell you anything about actual release date on the release if I took your point correctly.

Rart
01-01-2010, 02:20 AM
Well the OP wanted to occasionally be able to simply browse through every once in a while and see what's new, without dealing with random releases that don't relate to what hes looking for. A "spam/0day" filter of sorts and a foreign filter helps, but I also see that you mentioned that old releases sometimes spam up the index.

I'm not sure how it would be able to sort by the actual release date of files, without somehow rifling through the NFO or something. But another issue is that if you post an NZB thats 40 days old, it'll still appear on the front page because the index sorts by when things are posted on FST, not by when things are posted on usenet, which could cause some confusion if he's just looking for "what's new".

MultiForce
01-01-2010, 02:40 AM
Well the OP wanted to occasionally be able to simply browse through every once in a while and see what's new, without dealing with random releases that don't relate to what hes looking for. A "spam/0day" filter of sorts and a foreign filter helps, but I also see that you mentioned that old releases sometimes spam up the index.

I'm not sure how it would be able to sort by the actual release date of files, without somehow rifling through the NFO or something. But another issue is that if you post an NZB thats 40 days old, it'll still appear on the front page because the index sorts by when things are posted on FST, not by when things are posted on usenet, which could cause some confusion if he's just looking for "what's new".

If the board sorts stuff after usenet post date, and also sort after 0-day/new or whatever (a tag the poster sets of course) witch we filter it should sort out the problem.
Stuff that's X days old could just have the "new" tag removed automatically.

Not sure if that was clever but I have to sleep anyway :P

And happy new year btw!

tesco
01-01-2010, 03:04 AM

We have the ability to sort by the actual age, ie the time the file was uploaded to usenet.
The data is all in the database, see the "Age" column in NZB Index? That is calculated from the actual upload to usenet.
I just need to make it sort by that value.

edit: Wait, it already exists. That was easy. :lol:
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/nzb-index/?&order=desc&sort=age <= That link will sort by the date something was uploaded to Usenet.

Stuff that's X days old could just have the "new" tag removed automatically.

Not sure if that was clever but I have to sleep anyway :P

And happy new year btw!
That's another great idea.
Remove the "New" tag from posts older than X days.

iLOVENZB
01-01-2010, 05:11 AM
tesco; Could you have a layout like on private trackers where you can only view selected categories by checking the categories?

eg. http://lookpic.com/i/2/WyMzAEVF.jpeg

Rart
01-01-2010, 06:11 AM
Tesco,

Would it be possible to make that the default? Maybe I'm crazy, but I (think) it makes more sense that way?

tesco
01-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Tesco,

Would it be possible to make that the default? Maybe I'm crazy, but I (think) it makes more sense that way?
It doesn't make sense that way, because if somebody posts something that's more than a day old nobody will ever see it.

SonsOfLiberty
01-01-2010, 05:44 PM
tesco; Could you have a layout like on private trackers where you can only view selected categories by checking the categories?

eg. http://lookpic.com/i/2/WyMzAEVF.jpeg

We already have this:

real-lunatic
01-03-2010, 07:52 PM
now i understand not everyone here is from N.A. but frankly i dont think anyone here gives a crap about hollywood movies in german. for the handful of people specifically looking for that can they not take it to a search engine?

Here's a thought- how about the nzbindex split into two- one for new releases... ie.. actual new releases and not old but newly posted items... and a separate for all the random crap from the past thats cluttering the index now.

thank god i'm not the only one who's irritated about this. I'm from the netherlands (next to germany) and i just want to search for the original english movies. German spoken hollywood movies really sucks :frusty:

i prefer i check box where i can choose the language of the movies / games i want to search.

I have 4 or 5 german tv channels and that's fucked up enough :sick:

SonsOfLiberty
01-04-2010, 11:18 PM
now i understand not everyone here is from N.A. but frankly i dont think anyone here gives a crap about hollywood movies in german. for the handful of people specifically looking for that can they not take it to a search engine?

thank god i'm not the only one who's irritated about this. I'm from the netherlands (next to germany) and i just want to search for the original english movies. German spoken hollywood movies really sucks :frusty:

i prefer i check box where i can choose the language of the movies / games i want to search.

I have 4 or 5 german tv channels and that's fucked up enough :sick:

Well at least ICE posts, so I'd rather not have people slagging him even if doesn't know stuff to well or doesn't know what is what, at least he tries :)

PS we do have more Germans and foreign speaking people here than you think.

real-lunatic
01-05-2010, 03:19 PM
PS we do have more Germans and foreign speaking people here than you think.
then spilt it up, there are also alot of dutch people here. but we dont fuck up hollywood releases en post them.

i'm not against foreign posts, but split them so i don't have to go through pages of german release before i found a english version of a movie.

werth
01-12-2010, 08:44 PM
any update on this.. some days its pretty bad.

again, not to knock ice.... but its kinda annoying. give him his own german subsection that wont appear on the main page.

iLOVENZB
01-13-2010, 06:33 AM
If you look at the view count on some of ICE's posts there are people hitting the release. Weather they're snatching the nzb or not is another issue.

Beck38
01-13-2010, 08:53 AM
Newzbin has an extremely varied and deep 'filter' system....BUT

You'd be surprised at the percentage of times that it fails to work correctly. Of course, it does rely on the 'editor' who puts in the listing, going through all the proper 'check-boxes' and actually building the database. Therein lies a lot of the problems.

Usually, I look at 'new' posts, and a lot of the time it reminds me of something; I look at the actual 'source' at a commercial site (like Amazon, DVD Empire, etc.), then go through my collection of sites like this with nzb listings) and see if anyone else hoovered up things that Newzbin missed. You'd be surprised, especially as Newzbin has been taking down/erasing listings at the whim of the **AA's and such, yet other sites still have the listing.

sixstorm
01-14-2010, 08:22 PM
I agree on this. Things could be categorized a little better as far as release dates and things of that nature.

SonsOfLiberty
01-18-2010, 04:57 AM
any update on this.. some days its pretty bad.

again, not to knock ice.... but its kinda annoying. give him his own german subsection that wont appear on the main page.

Well I'll just start posting French movies then :fst:

iLOVENZB
01-18-2010, 07:47 AM
/me slaps SonsOfLiberty around a bit with a large trout.

werth
03-02-2010, 03:28 PM
cant get enough UK top 40.

tesco
03-02-2010, 11:50 PM
cant get enough UK top 40.
Well that's good 'cause we get about 50 posts of it per day. :)

Do I have to add a UK Top 40 category?

iLOVENZB
03-03-2010, 06:55 AM
I'm sure movies_foreign, music_foreign and tv_foreign will be needed for them German and Dutch nzb's.

tesco
03-03-2010, 11:51 PM
In the new version of the site I have included language and region filters. This might not be for another couple of months depending on how fast I can finish.
Do we need something for the interim?

werth
03-07-2010, 05:01 PM
i think we should create ice his own category. or german category in the meantime. and exclude it from the main nzb index unless chosen.

my 2c

iLOVENZB
03-08-2010, 03:33 AM
^^^ If you read tesco's above post, you'll know that a foreign category is to be added in the next version of the site.

tesco
03-09-2010, 01:47 AM
^^^ If you read tesco's above post, you'll know that a foreign category is to be added in the next version of the site.
Not a foreign category, a language filter.

rupturedsk
03-11-2010, 09:11 PM
VERY tired of wading through all the german stuff just to see what's new...

REALLY looking forward to the new version of the site!

Thanks to all for all your hard work!

SonsOfLiberty
03-17-2010, 06:56 AM
What the whole 5-6 German posts a day?