PDA

View Full Version : Simply usenet any review?

hmorneau
12-31-2009, 08:45 PM
Do some people use Simply usenet? They are sticky and have good price until tonight.

Did someone use them?

hdjunky
12-31-2009, 09:56 PM
From what i can tell, they are a reseller of XSNews since they both trace route to the same place for me. The prices of XSNews are a bit better, but they have less account types. One thing I wonder is, XSNews says they have 300 days retention on there website so either they did not update it for awhile or Simply Usenet is lying about 500, so i am interested in hearing one way or another.

Rart
01-01-2010, 12:54 AM
I can't seem to find anything on the site either.

Although those prices do seem pretty attractive.

Edit: Looked further and the lower end plans have 2mb and 8mb speed limits. Guess that's where the low price comes from.

unoriginal
01-18-2010, 07:09 AM
I signed up for the $7.99mo 8mb plan last night. I only have a 6meg dsl line so the speed is fine for my purposes. I previously used xsnews free service via an IPv6 tunnel I had setup, unfortunately my current arrangement doesn't work with that anymore. So I was glad to see a cheap alternative to try out.

I loaded up a couple very recent nzb and managed to max out my line with the 8 connections that Simply Usenet allows. They advertise 500 days of retention but it seems like they go farther back than that. I went to NZBMatrix and grabbed the oldest files that I could find that was bigger than a couple megabytes in size. I found one and ran it through NZB Download Checker and my results are attached below.

So far I have grabbed a few GB's of data in the 24hrs I have had an account and am pretty happy with the service. It would be nice if they had a North American server farm but as long as I can max out my connection even from AMS I guess it doesn't really matter. I should add that I did all my downloading using the SSL option that was available.

If anyone has an nzb older than 522 days, please point me towards it. I would love to see how far back their retention really goes as this puts them in the same league as Astraweb and Giganews for a few dollars less each month.

Cabalo
01-25-2010, 01:05 AM
Another 8MB subscriber here, with a neighbour using the 16mb package.
Both working fine, had no problems whatsoever so far, and our connections are always maxed out with the given allowed connections to the server.
Their ticket service took 4 hours to give me a reply, which I think it's pretty fair.
Great prices indeed.

unoriginal
01-25-2010, 02:37 AM
And to follow up on my own post, it looks like XSNews is building a US based server farm:
http://www.simplyusenet.co.uk/members/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=7

We are also expanding our network and building another Usenet server farm in the USA, to provide even better performance for our US based members.

Trottel
01-25-2010, 08:08 AM
Have test it for 2 days with a 50 Mbit Connection. No problems. Also older nzb`s > 480 days were all ok.
Speed ~ 5.5- ~ 5.6 Mbyte / sec :)

praxis
01-25-2010, 12:26 PM
For information (and probably not an issue for most): good retention for nzb downloading as stated but headers only go back approx 1 month in the groups I've checked.

unoriginal
01-26-2010, 07:09 AM
That's a good point. I'm one of those you mentioned that rarely checks headers anymore. But if header retention is important to you, Astraweb is the only one I can think of that claims their header retention matches the binary retention.