PDA

View Full Version : Cant Install Any Windows?

DWk
10-15-2003, 02:59 AM
kk so heres the problem...

the pc is an p3 with 256 ram....

i have tried installing windows xp, windows 98, win 98 se, and millenium

millenium was the only one i could actually install.... but i couldnt use it cuz i couldnt install progs inside it...

every windows gives me an error....xp cant read certain files from the cd....win 98 gives a weird error, same as 98se...

i need help :(

oh and yea they are clean installs every time :angry:
thx
DWk

kurtsl0an
10-15-2003, 03:05 AM
where did u get the cd's 2 install from? store or kazaa?

DWk
10-15-2003, 03:07 AM
they are all a good working copy...and 2 or 3 of those are originalcd-copy ;)

u know what i mean....

i have tried each and every one of those and they work...but not on that computer :S

DWk

kurtsl0an
10-15-2003, 03:08 AM
maybe ur cd drive is hos-ed. i've had a problem like that w/a pc b4.

DWk
10-15-2003, 03:19 AM
lol sorry i dont know what hos-ed means :huh:

hehe a little explaining wouldnt do bad to me :)

thx

DWk

kurtsl0an
10-15-2003, 03:33 AM
dodgy - fried - sucking the big1.

cwctv
10-15-2003, 06:34 PM
There is lots of reasons for this problem without seeing the messages each operating system gives you its very hard to give the real answer some things.

H/drive faulty - writing to disc wrong.
memory faulty - the same as above,make sure if the cpu is clocked at 133 the
memory is 133.
cpu faulty - the same make sure it is clocked correct times whatever 700 is
100x7 not 133x5.1/2 overclocking will cause this too.
Video memory - u/s same as above
cd rom faulty - as said before NOT reading the disc correct.

And the list goes on NEED more info like the messages that pop up with all programs sorry. Me I would make sure that :-
cpu is clocked right - memory is right and in its socket correct I have come across where it is just hanging out (pins not all in) - make sure the cpu fan is working very common fault as ME is small you might get it on then on reboot it is too hot to carry on.

DWk
10-15-2003, 07:32 PM
what i get is on winxp installation is:

cant copy file x.x.....
i've done some research on this but couldnt find an accurate answer..... i downloaded xp with sp1 tonite so im gonna try it with that one....

i tell ya later... thx

DWk

LTJBukem
10-15-2003, 07:48 PM
It may well be the case that you have to update your bios for an nt OS to install. If you're still having problems, check your mobo manufacturers website for info.

DWk
10-15-2003, 07:50 PM
no i had xp on it already before.... but i just changed the hard drive..... and no changes to the bios/ram/cpu/fans/gfx card were done...

its pretty weird....can it be the hard drive?

DWk

Xanex
10-15-2003, 09:38 PM
yup sounds like a bugged hard drive if u ask me. OR the configuration is wrong,

check cables jumper settings and also the pins

might also be worth getting some new ide cables just for the test. from what you have said sound similar to mine when my ide cable burnt out. but 1st choice is bugged hdd

Xan

DWk
10-15-2003, 10:20 PM
:S now im starting to panic :( :( :( :( :( :(

im gonna check something...im installing xp pro corp with sp1 right now....lets see what happens :D

DWk

cwctv
10-15-2003, 10:40 PM
cant copy file x.x.....

Says it can't find OR open this file you sure the Cd is good no bad marks etc Now if you have had it on before the cab files are still there in Windows can't recall where because I don't use that lump of s***,I have ME on and its been running for nearly two years now.

DWk
10-15-2003, 10:55 PM
Setup cannot copy the file: x.x

· To retry, press ENTER.

If you are installing form a CD, make sure the
    Windows XP CD is in the CD-ROM drive.

· To skip this file, press ESC.

CAUTION: If you skip this file, Setup may not complete
    and Windows XP may not work properly.

·To quit Setup, press F3

kk thats the message that i get when i try to install XP....i just tried installing the xp pro corp with sp1 (a brand new copy) and it didnt work.... so i put another cd-rom on the pc so ill try again...

DWk

DWk
10-15-2003, 11:16 PM
got the same error :(

so i guess its the hard drive....ima try something else and if it doesnt work....PFFFFFFFFFFFFT

DWk

kurtsl0an
10-15-2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by DWk@15 October 2003 - 23:16
got the same error :(

so i guess its the hard drive....ima try something else and if it doesnt work....PFFFFFFFFFFFFT

DWk
so u know that u know that the cd drive is fine?

DWk
10-16-2003, 12:37 AM
yeps... k i put that drive on the old pc....the celeron 300mhz puter...and im always done installing xp as we speak...

now i guess the problem is either the cpu, mobo, or ram.... i've heard theres a site you can get a ram checker without even having a drive in the computer....anyone got a link and info on how to check, etc?

thx

DWk

kurtsl0an
10-16-2003, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by DWk@16 October 2003 - 00:37
yeps... k i put that drive on the old pc....the celeron 300mhz puter...and im always done installing xp as we speak...

now i guess the problem is either the cpu, mobo, or ram.... i've heard theres a site you can get a ram checker without even having a drive in the computer....anyone got a link and info on how to check, etc?

thx

DWk
can't help u on the DWK - sure some1 here knows.

on a side note - no 1 can c ur avatar except u...thought u'd like 2 know - i'm sure u have bigga fish 2 fry right now! :)

DWk
10-16-2003, 01:05 AM
lol....im mostly done installing xp on that pc.... now i wonder if itll work good since its a celeron 300 LOL.... bleh oh well...

DWk