PDA

View Full Version : Network Card Name Needed!

Gandalf on Crack
10-15-2003, 03:14 AM
My friend is getting DSL tomorrow. The problem is he does not have the network card, so we took a network card out of my old computer that I don't use anymore. We then proceeded to install it in his computer but it does not tell the name of the network card... I do know that it is the Netgear card, and that is all I know about it, when the computer starts up it says the card installed as an unknown PCI card so I do not know what type of drivers to download... Does anyone know how to find the name or model of a network card without having the booklet or box??

If anyone could help it would be truly appreciated because he needs DSL badly...

-- Davey

Virtualbody1234
10-15-2003, 03:21 AM
Remove the card and look at it closely. Are there any markings that could help?

What version of Windows are you using?

kurtsl0an
10-15-2003, 03:34 AM
look for model # and use www.driverguide.com (http://www.driverguide.com).

Evil Gemini
10-15-2003, 03:42 AM
Put it back in your pc and then go into device manager and see what its called if you cant find ne markings on it.

kurtsl0an
10-15-2003, 04:02 AM
it's called unknown pci device. :)

sparsely
10-15-2003, 04:12 AM
download belarc advisor (http://www.belarc.com/Programs/advisor.exe)...there are also generic nic drives at some places...

MadDog-2000
10-15-2003, 04:18 AM
Take the NIC out of the PC and look at the PCB (Printed Circuit Board) and the silicon ships that are on that board. If it does not have a manufacturer's name (and/or product name) on it or the silicon chips, like Intel or Netgear, then look for a fairly long serial code somewhere on the PCB. Usually it's a bunch of numbers and letters. If you got that go to Google and search for it.

johnboy27
10-15-2003, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by MadDog-2000@15 October 2003 - 05:18
Take the NIC out of the PC and look at the PCB (Printed Circuit Board) and the silicon ships that are on that board. If it does not have a manufacturer's name (and/or product name) on it or the silicon chips, like Intel or Netgear, then look for a fairly long serial code somewhere on the PCB. Usually it's a bunch of numbers and letters. If you got that go to Google and search for it.
Yup,that is the best way to go about it.It has worked for me int he past,it does take a while sometimes though but if you need the driver then it is worth it.