PDA

View Full Version : Help with setting FSB clock speed

Skydragon
01-02-2010, 04:36 AM
On my nVidia control panel, I see that I can set the FSB clock speed from a minimum of 299 to a maximum of 700MHz. Right now it is set at 333. Can I pull it all the way to 700MHz with this spec of my pc?

64 bit OS running Windows 7
Quad Core 2.83 GHz
8GB Rams
750GB HDD
SLi nVidia 9800 graphic card

Detale
01-02-2010, 07:10 AM
So you're trying to OC the Vid card then?

Also please be more specific with your specs like what Exact Mother board,CPU,GFX card you have.

In general I'd say NO DO NOT push it up all at once. You should try little by little

Here is something I found with a quick Google search on GURU3D

Overclocking & Tweaking

As most of you with most videocards know, you can apply a simple series of tricks to boost the overall performance a little. You can do this at two levels, namely tweaking by enabling registry or BIOS hacks, or very simple, tamper with Image Quality. And then there is overclocking, which will give you the best possible results by far.
What do we need?
One of the best tool for overclocking NVIDIA and ATI videocards is our own Rivatuner that you can download here (http://www.guru3d.com/category/rivatuner/). If you own an ATI or NVIDIA graphics card then the manufacturer actually has very nice built in options for you that can be found in the display driver properties.

Where should we go?
Overclocking: By increasing the frequency of the videocard's memory and GPU, we can make the videocard increase its calculation clock cycles per second. It sounds hard, but it really can be done in less than a few minutes. I always tend to recommend to novice users and beginners not to increase the frequency any higher then 5% of the core and memory clock.

Example: If your card runs at 600 MHz (which is pretty common these days) then I suggest you don't increase the frequency any higher than 30 to 50 MHz.
More advanced users push the frequency often way higher. Usually when your 3D graphics start to show artifacts such as white dots ("snow"), you should back down 10-15 MHz and leave it at that. Usually when you are overclocking too hard, it'll start to show artifacts, empty polygons or it will even freeze. Carefully find that limit and then back down at least 20 MHz from the moment you notice an artifact. Look carefully and observe well. I really wouldn't know why you need to overclock today's tested card anyway, but we'll still show it ;)

All in all... do it at your own risk.

Skydragon
01-02-2010, 09:41 AM
is there a software that i can download that will list those specs that your looking for? I think it has to do with the CPU rather than the video cards. Because when I click on performance -> device settings in the nVidia control panel, it's under the tab CPU.

clocker
01-02-2010, 12:55 PM
You want to do your clocking in BIOS, not from within Windows.

What CPU do you have?
A "quad core @ 2.83 GHz" sounds like a Q9550 but that wouldn't be running on a nVidia chipset, would it?

At any rate, a FSB of 700MHz is insanely high.
The best chip I ever owned (an Intel E8400), topped out at around 500 and required a lot of tweaking to do it.
My current Q9550 isn't happy much above 435 MHz (or, to be more accurate, I haven't spent the time to make it happy).

If your current speed is 2.83GHz and the FSB is 333, the multiplier must be 8.5.
I haven't had much luck with half step multipliers, so I'd set it to 8 x 400 and see what happened.
Might have to bump up the core voltage some...maybe not.

If that works, try upping the FSB by increments of ten till it craps out.
Which it will.

Presumably all your data is backed up and you don't give a shit about your OS install because OCing is an excellent way to totally FUBAR the OS.

So, have fun.

Skydragon
01-03-2010, 07:13 AM
Using CPU-Z my chipset is nForce 650i SLI SPP and my CPU is Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550. Does this help? Thanks clocker for the reply.

Detale
01-03-2010, 07:55 AM
Yes it does help but we would also need your Motherboard model. Get our hands on a copy of Everest( a good info program) since this is FST you should have no trouble doing that ;)

Now you haven't answered exactly right here are you trying to overclock your CPU (q9550) or you GPU ( video card?).

You know what why don't you go to PC-pitstop (http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/browse.asp) and see how you stack up. It will also give you all the info about your system. Go there, do the overdrive test, take some screenshots and post em here. Lets aim for that ;)

BTW you may have to use internet explorer for that PC pitstop it sometimes hates FF.

clocker
01-04-2010, 06:39 AM
BTW you may have to use internet explorer for that PC pitstop it sometimes hates FF.
"Sometimes"?
Like in refuses to run on Firefox and TELLS you to run it in IE?

That kind of "sometimes"?

Detale
01-04-2010, 08:25 AM
LOL, yeah but I remember reading there was some way to run it on FF, I wasn't 100% on it tho