PDA

View Full Version : Xp Firewall

true_neo
10-15-2003, 02:56 PM
I wanna try this one, but dunno what things to allow and what not to allow.
So can anyone post a detailed guide (meaning full title of the settings and say block\allow) to what the best settings are?

TY.

PS: PLEASE (!!!!) dun tell me to get [this and that software firewall] or a router. I wanna try out XP firewall for now.

footballmad
10-15-2003, 03:10 PM
There is nothing to allow or not allow in XP firewall.
You just enable it and XP will "do the rest" !!

I don't think that it's enough on it's own, you really should get another one to work in conjunction with the XP firewall.

true_neo
10-15-2003, 03:20 PM
Lol im sorry but yer outta luck.

Go to Control Panel
Network Connections
Right-click the NW conn you using
Go to Properties
Go to Advanced
Check the box for Protect the comp with firewall
And see the Settings box come to life. In there you config what the fw allow and not.
it is THOSE settings I wanna know the ultimate configuration for.

johnboy27
10-15-2003, 03:36 PM
your best bet is to just turn it on and leave it the way it is.I have tested it on the Symantec website and it seems to work pretty good.It blocks stuff from getting in but not from getting out.that is the downfall to it.

footballmad
10-15-2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by true_neo@15 October 2003 - 17:20
Lol im sorry but yer outta luck.

Go to Control Panel
Network Connections
Right-click the NW conn you using
Go to Properties
Go to Advanced
Check the box for Protect the comp with firewall
And see the Settings box come to life. In there you config what the fw allow and not.
it is THOSE settings I wanna know the ultimate configuration for.
Yeah sorry I never saw that before.

But I would think that most of those things are needed.

true_neo
10-15-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by johnboy27@15 October 2003 - 17:36
your best bet is to just turn it on and leave it the way it is.I have tested it on the Symantec website and it seems to work pretty good.It blocks stuff from getting in but not from getting out.that is the downfall to it.
True... but I just want to know exactly what of the listed are needed to allow, and which to not. And if there are anything they missed out, the rules I need to create to patch that one up.
Anyone with knowledge?

muchspl2
10-15-2003, 04:22 PM
its a poor firewall, turn it off and get zonealarm, its the easiest to configure.
I know its not what you want but they have a free one, and a trail of the better one, with the newest one(4) you can import the bad ip list from pear guardian

clocker
10-15-2003, 04:25 PM
TrueNeo,

A Google search ("XP Firewall+ settings") resulted in many hits, but almost all of them simply instruct you how to enable the firewall- they are very light on info as to exact settings.

I think that this reflects the fact that the default XP firewall is not taken very seriously by most people, so it is seen as a nOOb fallback.

It looks like you're on your own here. Enable things one at a time and see what happens...

zapjb
10-15-2003, 04:28 PM
Even M$ tells you to get a 3rd party PF.

true_neo
10-15-2003, 05:22 PM
Ach, phuck the damn XP firewall then lol.

Since Sygate has conspired against me thus blocking me file transfers, Im gonna try ZoneAlarm. Norton in general I dislike, so lemme try ZoneAlarm.

TY all for trying, especially muchspl2, clocker and zapjb for convincing me lol. :D :lol:

DarthInsinuate
10-15-2003, 05:51 PM
just let the firewall block everything, if you find its blocking something it shouldn't change the settings then

fkdup74
10-15-2003, 06:28 PM
neo, the only things i had allowed in my xp firewall was 'msmsgs'(i dont think i could disable those....) and my browser still worked fine, so basically you can disable everything but 'msmsgs', but i still got an extra fw cause im not too sure how much i really trust xp's