PDA

View Full Version : Help running dual gpu's

dadelor
01-08-2010, 12:13 AM
I need a little help running 2 gpu's on my system with windows 7 x64 on a aus p5n-e sli motherboard not in sli but 2 single cards. one is a pci geforce fx5200 and the other one is a pci-e 8800gtx. I cant seem to get these two running together is it possible? the video only shows on the fx5200 when i have both plugged in by the way.

MadIrish
01-08-2010, 02:21 AM
I'm really not sure it'd be worth you trying to run those 2 cards together, even if it is possible, a fx5200 really is pretty damn old now.

Does this shameless lift from wiki help answer your question?

In an SLI configuration, cards can be of mixed manufacturers, card model names, BIOS revisions or clock speeds. However, they must be of the same GPU series (e.g. 8600, 8800) and GPU model name (e.g. GT, GTS, GTX). There are rare exceptions for "mixed SLI" configurations on some cards that only have a matching core codename (e.g. G70, G73, G80, etc), but this is otherwise not possible, and only happens when two matched cards differ only very slightly, an example being a differing amount of video memory, stream processors, or clockspeed. In this case, the slower/lesser card becomes dominant, and the other card matches.

In cases where two cards are not identical, the fastest card – or the card with more memory - will run at the speed of the slower card or disable its additional memory. (Note that while the FAQ still claims different memory size support, the support has been removed since revision 100.xx of Nvidia's Forceware driver suite.

clocker
01-08-2010, 03:18 AM
What the hell are you trying to do?

There's no way two different cards, on two different busses (one of these is PCI and the other PCIexpress), are going to work together.

Remove the fx5200, hurl it like a Frisbee as far away as possible and stop this nonsense immediately.

dadelor
01-08-2010, 04:04 AM
Yeah I didnt think so......I bought it a long time ago and thought i could put it to some use so i could do triple monitors. I thought it would be possible since i read here http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=125543
someone got it to work under linux. but thanks for the help

clocker
01-08-2010, 04:14 AM
BTW, you should enter BIOS and set the initial display to PEG (which should be the express buss).
When you had both cards in it should have defaulted to the better card, not the weakest.

MadIrish
01-09-2010, 01:51 AM
Remove the fx5200, hurl it like a Frisbee as far away as possible and stop this nonsense immediately.

Hehe.

In my experience gpu's don't make the best frisbees, something to do with aerodynamics..... I'd personally advise a catapult style mechanism to achieve this righteous end :D

clocker
01-09-2010, 02:23 AM
Ah, a purist.

You can never go wrong with a trebuchet.

Detale
01-09-2010, 04:10 AM
isn't there a "Physx (http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx_new.html)" setup you can do with cards like there? where the weaker GPU processes some of the stuff on games like?

Disclaimer: I have not read a single thing on this as I am tired as hell from working in the god forsaken cold all day. Not even sure thats what Psyx is, just a suggestion. See you guys in a few days.

clocker
01-09-2010, 06:16 AM
Sleep tight, Trooper.

Don't trouble your head with this grownup stuff.

JGB
01-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Won't work AFAIK, works fine with the next gen of cards(6x or 7x IIRC) I'm running a 6 series for phyx.

dadelor
01-10-2010, 05:32 PM
yeah i tried, nothing seems to work i can get it to recognize the fx5200 but it reports error 43 and doesnt allow it to operate. and if i do install the old driver for it i just get bsod for trying to run 2 different nvidia drivers on the same system. i guess its too old
for what i want to do but thanks for all the suggestions.

Snee
01-10-2010, 06:10 PM
Won't work AFAIK, works fine with the next gen of cards(6x or 7x IIRC) I'm running a 6 series for phyx.

I'm gonna assume you mean a geforce 8-series card, since those were the first ones with driver support for physx.

As for the op, it's possible you might be able to run the extra card for an extra monitor, but I don't see you having to much use of it, that card is just too weak to manage much. Won't render anything modern in 3d, and at higher resolutions, I bet it'll even have trouble with movies and the like.

Dunno why the newer card wasn't showing up for you, assuming everything is connected properly, and everything is set up properly in your bios. I guess it's possible that the mobo just can't handle cards running off of both buses properly like that. Different sets of drivers should be able to work together, I thought, dunno why you're getting that error.

And obviously running those cards together in SLi is out of the question. For regular SLi you pretty much need the same gpu, sometimes down to the same revision. For hybrid SLi there a limited set of GPUs that can work together.

Maybe Hydra will be a bit more flexible, but I expect that's pci-e cards only.