PDA

View Full Version : Gpedit.msc In Win Xp Pro

chinook_apache
10-15-2003, 05:04 PM
hi.
If i go to start, then run, then tpye gpedit.msc it comes up with a group policy which can restricit users from say....restrict access to control panel. when i enable this restrcition it works but for all users including admin! how do i get around it so it only works for a particluar user
i dont want to use any third part software like tweak manger or anything. i want to use the restrictions the gropu policy(gpedit.msc0 provide.
has any one else tried this in xp pro and exprienced the restrictions applying to all users?
plz reply back if you have any info on how to only restrict one user!

chinook_apache
10-15-2003, 05:29 PM
come on plz someone reply. it would be really helpful

chinook_apache
10-15-2003, 08:39 PM
a reply plz? to let me know why this is!

DarthInsinuate
10-15-2003, 08:43 PM
me thinks no one knows - try the microsoft knowledge base

vivitron 15
10-15-2003, 10:52 PM
im also trying to do similar stuff...i want to hide a partition from limited users on my pc; i think this is the way forward, so if i find anything, ill let you know.

:D

sparsely
10-15-2003, 11:12 PM
what, exactly, are you trying to apply ?

vivitron 15
10-15-2003, 11:15 PM
basically, if you go run>gpedit.msc then you can prevent users from accessing control panel, and prob all sorts of other things...unfortunately, it prevents all users from accessing it...this guy wants to only stop the limited users from accessing it.

sparsely
10-15-2003, 11:25 PM
No, he's trying to use group policy to place restrictions on users, but the gpedit
doesn't do it by user or group,
it applies all changes to all users.

chinook_apache
10-16-2003, 04:53 PM
yes. i only want to apply it only to one user. i have tried ms knowledge database but no help for what i want. it tells you how to apply them but it aplpies it to all users

vivitron 15
10-16-2003, 05:25 PM
thanks for the info sparsely.

is it possible to do this using an external app maybe?

chinook_apache
10-16-2003, 07:38 PM
yeah i do understand you can use external sources but....the gpedit is there and i want to use since its already there provided for use. the thing is any restrictions like to the control panel are applied to all users. i am wanting use gpedit for just one user

chinook_apache
10-16-2003, 08:36 PM
anyone come across gpedit.msc in win xp pro?

sparsely
10-17-2003, 12:59 AM
what do you mean, anyone come across it?
yeah, it's there on all XP pro machines.

To get user-specific, you're really gonna need an Active Directory on a 2000-2003 server.

Apart from that, you can deny permissions to control panel applets by locating the files and setting permissions.
if you want to just set a group of people at one time, create a new group (right-click My Computer > Manage > Users & Groups),
add the members to that group that you want to limit, go to the control panel applets (in C:\Windows\System32....
control panel applets have .cpl extensions) and set the permissions on the 'Security' Properties tab.

Kind of a long way...but it works.

4play
10-17-2003, 01:02 AM
is it possible to make a new user group and add just the one person you want to not be able to access control panel.

then ban that group :devil:

sparsely
10-17-2003, 01:04 AM
if you were just doing one person, creating a group wouldn't be necessary.
It's just easier to use a group if you got several people you want with the same permission settings.

*edit*

see...
in the properties dialog you select the Security tab, click 'Add', another window will open where you add the users or groups,
then back on the security tab you set their permissions as you wish.

http://pluto.imagemagician.com/images/sparsely/Misc/tab.gif

chinook_apache
10-17-2003, 03:48 PM
kool thanx for the feedback. so i will need a active directoy on a server to det these permissons....hmmm B)

sparsely
10-18-2003, 12:55 AM
you need a domain controller w/Active Directory to employ true Group Policy.
But you can set permissions locally the way I described before.