PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 retail - multiple pcs?

scrambler
01-10-2010, 12:53 AM
Hey there,

For the first time, i'm going to buy a copy of windows from the box [i'm attempting to build a new pc this year]. In the past, i've only used OEMs when purchasing a PC so sorry if this is a dumb question.

Anyways, so i'm going to cough up the money on Windows 7 Pro retail and i read that the licence only allows for that copy to be used at any one time. Technically speaking, will i be able to use my copy on 2 pc's or will Microsoft suss out the 2nd pc (by 2nd I mean having a copy already installed on pc one)?? Would it render the 2nd pc unusable?

thanks

7th
01-10-2010, 01:04 AM
as far as I know you'll need one SN per computer which means you'll need to buy 2 copies of Windows...

there are also those "corporation" versions that will allow you to use one dvd to install in multiple computers...

well, I don't really know much about these things =/

maverick_andy
01-10-2010, 03:37 AM
Hey there,

For the first time, i'm going to buy a copy of windows from the box [i'm attempting to build a new pc this year]. In the past, i've only used OEMs when purchasing a PC so sorry if this is a dumb question.

Anyways, so i'm going to cough up the money on Windows 7 Pro retail and i read that the licence only allows for that copy to be used at any one time. Technically speaking, will i be able to use my copy on 2 pc's or will Microsoft suss out the 2nd pc (by 2nd I mean having a copy already installed on pc one)?? Would it render the 2nd pc unusable?

thanks

Technically, yep u can install single license on multiple PC's. Logically However make sure that U don't update ur windows 7 simultaneously/concurrently. Else more chances of getting black listed.:happy:

scrambler
01-10-2010, 04:47 PM
thanks guys. I'm planning on putting it on another pc. I thought that if "technically" i could do this, then i wont have to download a copy of windows 7 for 2nd pc. I would have downloaded a copy for this new pc build but i dont want anything going caput since i'm new to building.

cheers :)

Appzalien
01-19-2010, 07:02 PM
You can install it on both PC's but you can only use the serial you got on one of them, the other you will have to use a loader or OEM fix on. SP1 will likely come out in June so it might be in your best interest to wait it out before you make the purchase of such an expensive item, and do not buy an update version get a full retail one instead. You can also just hold on to your serial for later and fix both PC's with Win7 Slic Loaders. Then if you get caught you have a legit serial to use if needs be.