PDA

View Full Version : Chaning Icons And Names Of Drives

musicmaster
10-16-2003, 02:08 AM
This is a sort of 'repost' as I didnt get an answer to part of my question... so here it goes:

One last problem as stated before and I dont know how it happened nor how to fix it. Here it is again:

I have a cd that came with my Plextor PlexWriter... it is software to use with this drive. It is Easy CD Creator 4.... its old because this computer was purchased in 2000.

Anyways, I loaded that and Windows told me that that version wasnt compatible with WIN XP..... so it wouldnt install it. I suppose I need version 5 or 6. Anyways, I removed the program from add/remove... and then I checked my cd drives again in My Computer, and the DVD drive was somehow associated with Plextor. It had the Plextor icon on it... and I dont know how that happened. Everything works fine except for the icon and name of the drive in My Computer being named and displayed with the Plextor name and logo.

How do I change both the icon and the name of the drive in My Computer back to default?

ultimatejester
10-16-2003, 02:49 AM
if u r talking abt the drive name i.e d:

go to run/control panel/adminitrative tools/computer management

In the computer managemenet select Disk Management, rite click your dvd/cdrom drive and then select Change Drive Letters and Paths, then hit change and then select the letter that u wanna assign to your cdrom/dvd drive

musicmaster
10-16-2003, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by ultimatejester@15 October 2003 - 18:49
if u r talking abt the drive name i.e d:

go to run/control panel/adminitrative tools/computer management

In the computer managemenet select Disk Management, rite click your dvd/cdrom drive and then select Change Drive Letters and Paths, then hit change and then select the letter that u wanna assign to your cdrom/dvd drive
I dont think you understood the way I asked the question... or maybe I gave too much info.... Lemme try again:

I have two cd drives... one DVD which is lettered E: and my buner which is a Plextor Plexwriter which is lettered D:

the icon representing the DVD drive is that of my plextor drive...... the drives work fine... but just the icon is incorrect and the name is incorrect. It still says E: but... the iocn is the Plextor symbol which I dont want there. Also the name "Plextor" is right in between the symbol and the drive letter.

My actua Plextor D: Drive can be left alone... I dont need to change that one.... so all I want to do is change the icon and name of the E: drive... not anything else.

If you answered that in the previous post...maybe I just read it wrong and will check it again.

Ok... I checked your post again before I added this post... and I didnt read it wrong. You thought I wanted to change the actual letter associated wtih my DVD drive. I dont want to change the letter... that is fine... just want to change as indicated above. If you or anyone else knows of the reason that this happened and how to correct this, please help.

Thanks.

MUSLEMAN
10-16-2003, 09:18 AM
ok i'm not sure if i understand so if does not apply ignore please, you can't rename them??