PDA

View Full Version : Linkin Park Interview

iMartin
10-16-2003, 03:46 AM
Since I'm a Diehard Linkin Park fan, I thought I'd post this, found it today on msn.com news. See it HERE (http://entertainment.msn.com/news/article.aspx?news=119098)

-

Meteoric Opening
Nu-metal heroes Linkin Park continue their rise with the sophomore album Meteora

By Larry Flick
Billboard

With its out-of-the-box success (810,000 copies sold during the first week), Linkin Park's latest album Meteora is living up to the expectations built by Linkin Park's 2000 debut, Hybrid Theory, which has sold 7.7 million copies.

Billboard director of charts Geoff Mayfield says, "When you have a rock act coming off such a huge debut, it's not all that unusual to find even bigger interest in its follow-up."

The pressure to deliver mega-sales can weigh heavily on a young band. But guitarist Brad Delson insists this was not the case for Linkin Park. "No one is going to readily admit to feeling the pressure to 'produce' under these circumstances, but the honest truth is that we didn't have that experience," he says. "If anything, we were more relaxed as we made this record. We knew that we'd have an audience to play these new songs for. That was inspiring and energizing, not frightening. We're prepared to spend the next year or so playing these songs for people. It's going to be cool."

The band spent a month this spring traveling throughout the U.S. and parts of Europe, playing small-venue gigs geared toward diehard fans. The trek ended March 24 with a show at the Wiltern in Los Angeles. A live feed of that show was offered to radio stations nationwide. After the gig, Linkin Park ushered in the release of the new album with a midnight in-store at Tower Records in Sherman Oaks, Calif.

The band then planned another leg of touring at venues in the U.S. and Europe before joining the all-star bill of Metallica's hotly touted Summer Sanitarium arena tour.

Now that Meteora has hit the street, Delson says the members of the L.A.-based band can focus on doing what they enjoy most: playing music.

"There's that period of time between making music and the release of an album where you feel in danger of being completely consumed by business," he notes. "It can be fun, like assembling a puzzle. But it's more fun when that puzzle is assembled and you can get back to your original intention as a band."

For Linkin Park, that includes crafting music that melds elements of hard rock, hip-hop and pop with lyrics that strive to cut deeper than average rock fare. The combination resulted in the breakthrough of Hybrid Theory, which spawned three hit singles, including "In the End." The band also scored a Grammy Award last year for best hard-rock performance for the track "Crawling."

Produced by the band with Don Gilmore, Meteora shows Linkin Park -- which also features vocalists Chester Bennington and Mike Shinoda, drummer Rob Bourdon and bassist Phoenix -- offering sounds familiar to Hybrid Theory fans while experimenting with a broader palette of ideas. For example, the anthemic guitar attack of "Somewhere I Belong" is countered by the lush orchestration of the gentler "Breaking the Habit." Elsewhere on the set, "Easier to Run" is rife with left-of-center tribal rhythms, while "Nobody's Listening" combines hip-hop with Japanese flute lines.

"Everyone amped it up," Delson says. "We all had a lot of fresh ideas. The results, for us, are amazing."

He believes Linkin Park is a "career band" that will defy trends. "We're not a one-sound band, led by one voice," Delson says. "We're a collection of concepts and thoughts and influences by a group of people who have a hunger to always grow. That's what a great band does: grow. And I believe that we're on the way to being a great band that will stand the test of time."

wormless
10-16-2003, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by [-Crono-]@16 October 2003 - 03:46
Since I'm a Diehard Linkin Park fan, I thought I'd post this, found it today on msn.com news. See it HERE (http://entertainment.msn.com/news/article.aspx?news=119098)

-

Meteoric Opening
Nu-metal heroes Linkin Park continue their rise with the sophomore album Meteora

By Larry Flick
Billboard

With its out-of-the-box success (810,000 copies sold during the first week), Linkin Park's latest album Meteora is living up to the expectations built by Linkin Park's 2000 debut, Hybrid Theory, which has sold 7.7 million copies.

Billboard director of charts Geoff Mayfield says, "When you have a rock act coming off such a huge debut, it's not all that unusual to find even bigger interest in its follow-up."

The pressure to deliver mega-sales can weigh heavily on a young band. But guitarist Brad Delson insists this was not the case for Linkin Park. "No one is going to readily admit to feeling the pressure to 'produce' under these circumstances, but the honest truth is that we didn't have that experience," he says. "If anything, we were more relaxed as we made this record. We knew that we'd have an audience to play these new songs for. That was inspiring and energizing, not frightening. We're prepared to spend the next year or so playing these songs for people. It's going to be cool."

The band spent a month this spring traveling throughout the U.S. and parts of Europe, playing small-venue gigs geared toward diehard fans. The trek ended March 24 with a show at the Wiltern in Los Angeles. A live feed of that show was offered to radio stations nationwide. After the gig, Linkin Park ushered in the release of the new album with a midnight in-store at Tower Records in Sherman Oaks, Calif.

The band then planned another leg of touring at venues in the U.S. and Europe before joining the all-star bill of Metallica's hotly touted Summer Sanitarium arena tour.

Now that Meteora has hit the street, Delson says the members of the L.A.-based band can focus on doing what they enjoy most: playing music.

"There's that period of time between making music and the release of an album where you feel in danger of being completely consumed by business," he notes. "It can be fun, like assembling a puzzle. But it's more fun when that puzzle is assembled and you can get back to your original intention as a band."

For Linkin Park, that includes crafting music that melds elements of hard rock, hip-hop and pop with lyrics that strive to cut deeper than average rock fare. The combination resulted in the breakthrough of Hybrid Theory, which spawned three hit singles, including "In the End." The band also scored a Grammy Award last year for best hard-rock performance for the track "Crawling."

Produced by the band with Don Gilmore, Meteora shows Linkin Park -- which also features vocalists Chester Bennington and Mike Shinoda, drummer Rob Bourdon and bassist Phoenix -- offering sounds familiar to Hybrid Theory fans while experimenting with a broader palette of ideas. For example, the anthemic guitar attack of "Somewhere I Belong" is countered by the lush orchestration of the gentler "Breaking the Habit." Elsewhere on the set, "Easier to Run" is rife with left-of-center tribal rhythms, while "Nobody's Listening" combines hip-hop with Japanese flute lines.

"Everyone amped it up," Delson says. "We all had a lot of fresh ideas. The results, for us, are amazing."

He believes Linkin Park is a "career band" that will defy trends. "We're not a one-sound band, led by one voice," Delson says. "We're a collection of concepts and thoughts and influences by a group of people who have a hunger to always grow. That's what a great band does: grow. And I believe that we're on the way to being a great band that will stand the test of time."
i love them especially the rapper :wub: i was one of those 7mill who bought the album

Celerystalksme
10-16-2003, 03:52 AM
strange enough i was another one of the 7 million that brought the album...

and that has actually been the last album i have brought...

and yeah i listend to an interview with the band a week ago *seeing they are in Australia currently*...and yeah it was pretty cool...

i still listen to their music every now and again...but its hard to listen to something constantly for a long time with the amount of music i have :)

wormless
10-16-2003, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by Celerystalksme@16 October 2003 - 03:52

and yeah i listend to an interview with the band a week ago *seeing they are in Australia currently*...and yeah it was pretty cool...

i still listen to their music every now and again...but its hard to listen to something constantly for a long time with the amount of music i have :)
lol so i gotta go 2 au 2 c the rapper :wub: last album i bought was a 2disk one of dance songs and mixed pop 4get what its called

Jayhawk
10-16-2003, 04:09 AM
i bought that album as well :D

wormless
10-16-2003, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by KwahyaJ@16 October 2003 - 04:09
i bought that album as well :D
:blink:

Celerystalksme
10-16-2003, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by wormless+16 October 2003 - 12:59--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (wormless @ 16 October 2003 - 12:59)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Celerystalksme@16 October 2003 - 03:52

i still listen to their music every now and again...but its hard to listen to something constantly for a long time with the amount of music i have&nbsp; :)
lol so i gotta go 2 au 2 c the rapper :wub: last album i bought was a 2disk one of dance songs and mixed pop 4get what its called [/b][/quote]
i don&#39;t think would be coming to aus to see the rapper :o :P

wormless
10-16-2003, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by Celerystalksme+16 October 2003 - 04:13--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Celerystalksme @ 16 October 2003 - 04:13)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by wormless@16 October 2003 - 12:59
<!--QuoteBegin-Celerystalksme@16 October 2003 - 03:52

lol so i gotta go 2 au 2 c the rapper :wub: last album i bought was a 2disk one of dance songs and mixed pop 4get what its called
i don&#39;t think would be coming to aus to see the rapper :o :P [/b][/quote]
i just wanna see wat itslike "down under" watching an aus film nw called "seconds to spare" such a suspence not lol

Adster
10-16-2003, 04:51 AM
<_<

iMartin
10-17-2003, 03:26 AM
The rapper? As in Joe "Mr" Hahn? or Mike Shinoda?

razorsharp013
10-17-2003, 03:29 AM
Their good at what they do. Not my kind of stuff though. I actually bought the first album, gave it to a friend when I got sick of it.

Spider_dude
10-17-2003, 03:40 AM
i like hybrid theory but my favourite linkin park infact one of my favourite albums of all time is re-animation. in fact its going on my beatman just now.

Gutter
10-17-2003, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by Spider_dude@17 October 2003 - 03:40
i like hybrid theory but my favourite linkin park infact one of my favourite albums of all time is re-animation. in fact its going on my beatman just now.
you mean your Ghetto-Blaster&#33;

i like some of the beats off re-ani

gotta check out those piano versions for some sleepy tunes

Spider_dude
10-17-2003, 03:49 AM
i gotta grab those piano melodies.

wormless
10-17-2003, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by [&#045;Crono&#045;
,17 October 2003 - 03:26]The rapper? As in Joe "Mr" Hahn? or Mike Shinoda?

mike&#33;

Celerystalksme
10-17-2003, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by Spider_dude@17 October 2003 - 12:49
pitty you cant see my files :(

wormless
10-17-2003, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by Celerystalksme+17 October 2003 - 04:49--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Celerystalksme @ 17 October 2003 - 04:49)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Spider_dude@17 October 2003 - 12:49
pitty you cant see my files :( [/b][/quote]
Y U GOT LOADS? soz caps

Celerystalksme
10-17-2003, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by wormless+17 October 2003 - 13:59--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (wormless @ 17 October 2003 - 13:59)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Celerystalksme@17 October 2003 - 04:49
<!--QuoteBegin-Spider_dude@17 October 2003 - 12:49
pitty you cant see my files :(
Y U GOT LOADS? soz caps [/b][/quote]
I have everything Linkin Park

(on CD i have (i actually brought these))

*Hybrid Theory
*Reanimation
*Meteora

(On My Hard Drive I Have)

*Hybrid Theory Special Edition (CD 2)
*Hyrbid Theory Demo
*Hyrbid Theory EP
*Xero Demo
*Underground V2.0 Cd
*Splitting The DNA (Bootleg/B-Sides)
*Under Attack (Bootleg/B-Sides)
*Piano Instrumentals
*Maximum Linkin Park (Biography CD)
*Live Detroit Michigan 03-25-03
*Live From BBC
*Points Of Authority (Single)
*Enth E nd bw Frgt 10 (Single)
*Somewhere I Belong (Single)
*Faint (Single)
*Numb (Single)

*Plus a folder with around 30 various tracks*

---I need---
*One Step Closer (Single)
*Crawling (Single)
*Papercut (Single)
*In The End (Single)

Adster
10-17-2003, 12:15 PM
what park do they go too? :huh:

Spider_dude
10-17-2003, 02:48 PM
clelry problem will be solved soon enough. i&#39;m working on opening 2234. which i have discovered is closed.

iMartin
10-18-2003, 11:12 PM
Yesh, I have every album they have, and unreleased on my computer. I don&#39;t have Hybrid Theory EP...YET. But I will soon have it when I join the LPU. (http://www.lpunderground.com)