PDA

View Full Version : Why do university intranet DC hubs get shut down?

quadomatic
01-14-2010, 03:20 AM
Just wondering, but why would direct connect hubs on a university's intranet get shut down?

Would them being private (pre registered usernames and passwords) make such an occurrence less likely?

iLOVENZB
01-14-2010, 06:49 AM
DC hubs and any form of distibution, can be used to distribute illegal material. I remember at school we couldnt have anything apart from school work on there. Not even a copyrighted mp3 on a custom video you made during Multimedia courses.

The consequences for universities having such activity is much more sever than a single individual. I don't think the uni would risk it.

I pretty much doubt them being private be less likely be banned.

quadomatic
01-14-2010, 02:47 PM
The thing is, how would a university become aware of a DC hub and shut it down if it's a plain IP on the LAN and one can't even connect without the hub's operator adding a username and password for you to use?

Do you think it would be safer if it was just a small hub with a few people who personally know each other?

Cabalo
01-14-2010, 02:57 PM
LOL, simple (but hugely powerful) tools like wireshark, for example, intercept and log the traffic and any decent network admin can easily understand what is going on.
For example, you don't think that the sudden traffic increase in some workstations would go unnoticed? And that a pattern would be found out using the same ports and allow him to immediately deduct the protocol?
Take this lesson: you can't do ANYTHING on a LAN that goes unnoticed from a clever administrator. Because in no way you can hide the traffic that happens. Period.

Do you think it would be safer if it was just a small hub with a few people who personally know each other?
Even so, you can't hide the amounts of traffic. I would catch you guys the moment I went review the traffic logs or noticed any latency increase in the AP's or routers.

beansis
01-14-2010, 08:54 PM
I would recommend using usenet instead, with ssl ofcourse

also uni networks are often monitored by RIAA, and such

quadomatic
01-15-2010, 03:44 AM

I do use usenet (astraweb in fact), but my campus has a 3GB daily bandwidth limit. Thus, DC++ is attractive since transfers over LAN circumvent the limit.

Rart
01-15-2010, 03:47 AM
AFAIK, our local uni hub has been thriving for years, and the university is well aware of it's existence.

quadomatic
01-15-2010, 04:12 AM
AFAIK, our local uni hub has been thriving for years, and the university is well aware of it's existence.

I hear about so many other universities having hubs. It doesn't seem like the university would bother stopping it...but then again it depends on the school. I've heard of schools actively catching and reporting file sharers to the RIAA themselves.

Cabalo
01-15-2010, 04:14 AM

Easily traceable too, not the contents, but anyone in 10 seconds can check where he is connecting to, whois that IP, and take actions.

quadomatic
01-15-2010, 04:23 AM
Easily traceable too, not the contents, but anyone in 10 seconds can check where he is connecting to, whois that IP, and take actions.

Yeah, but usenet isn't by definition illegal. If you can't say the contents are copyrighted then there's no wrongdoing.

Cabalo
01-15-2010, 04:29 AM
Try explaining that to the network administrator.

beansis
01-15-2010, 06:59 AM

what about vpn?

I do use usenet (astraweb in fact), but my campus has a 3GB daily bandwidth limit. Thus, DC++ is attractive since transfers over LAN circumvent the limit.

that sucks, but a hub, especially a new one, isn't going to have nearly as much data as usenet, and you would still have to get the new stuff from somewhere

iLOVENZB
01-15-2010, 07:13 AM

Yeah, but usenet isn't by definition illegal. If you can't say the contents are copyrighted then there's no wrongdoing.

<sarcasm>It was only metadata</scarcasm> :lol: